Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

TLJ wasn’t just a “bad” movie.. People can excuse a bad movie, and continue on with their excitement. TLJ was an offensive movie, offensive to fans of the franchise, characters, and lore of Star Wars. On top of that, they managed to offend casual fans by their unprofessional lashing out to critics, and offend people who don’t appreciate the obvious messages of modern-day ideological stances being injected. The poster who said SW lost it’s goodwill from fans and moviegoers is exactly right. The tides shifted with that, and now SW is going to live on to many casual moviegoers as simply another movie franchise, no longer the Star Wars that once ruled the world. This new attitude towards Disney’s SW is going to affect every movie they put out going forward, and Solo saw that first hand. They’re pushing away the fans that have been around the longest that coincidentally have the deepest pockets. From the rumor mill that’s been swirling, Disney realizes that’s a big mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

You missed the entire point of my post.

Its the bulk of ordinary cinema goers that determines whether a movie IS a commercial success, not the smaller but far more vocal fanbase. In these days the trend is even more noticable with social media, because if people have a lot of good will towards a film because of the experience it delivered they will pass it on to family and friends and their wider range of contacts through the likes of Facebook and Youtube.

That makes it a hit or not.

And you are wrong about Jurassic Park. That had a huge amount of publicity for its "realistic" dinosaurs and a massive amount of interest at its time of release . They had interview after interview of just ordinary people on TV saying how brilliant the effects were.And it did near a billion back in the day when a billion was a LOT of money and it was one of the best selling VHS releases ever back in the 90's. Over a third of America watched it when it was televised for the first time, something around 70 million and the entire franchise has made about $5 billion so far.

Has it the intense fanbase SW has thenthe answer is definitely NO. But it has a general popularity with the everyday viewer thats probably nearly as strong.
And that was my whole point.

The general popularity of SW is taking a noticable knock at the moment, driven mainly by this on line war between Lucasfilm /DIsney and a very small percentage of the fanbase, but it IS starting to attract alot of attention from general news and media outlets, and that IS damaging the brand further.
No film company wants that.
But when you get a *** for tat sniping game, with demands to remake the movie, people on youtube channels posting video after yet another video analysing a rumour about a rumour about a tweet or comment "somewhere" and passing it off as a " revolution" just so to bump there numbers up it portrays SW fans in a rather poor light, and as a life long SW fan I can object to that.

Watching this evolve to the levels it has here is rather saddening. We've lost a few good people on bothsides of this argument and this place is lessened for the loss of their voices.

tenor.gif

It’s just a pity that a phenomenon like Star Wars through relatively current ‘ mismanagement ‘ has brought us to this sorry state of affairs ... like so much else in the ‘ real world ‘ .

:cheersGed

While I do not deny that those who have disdain for the current story handling of SW have vaild reasons to feel the way that they do, it really isn't any "mis management" which has brought "us" to this sorry state of affairs. It has only ever been "us" that has brought us thus...with our own choices made about how we were going to respond to the current story handling of SW...and the way in which those choices resounded with others who made different choices. THAt is what has led "us" to this sorry state of affairs.

And it is very VERY sad...simply because our choices have made it so hard for "us" to respect one another as we used to.

people who don’t appreciate the obvious political messages of modern-day liberalism being injected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might want to be careful with this phraseology. It's coming close to politicizing the post.. and nobody around here wants to see that. it's cost us people before :/

You missed the entire point of my post.

Its the bulk of ordinary cinema goers that determines whether a movie IS a commercial success, not the smaller but far more vocal fanbase. In these days the trend is even more noticable with social media, because if people have a lot of good will towards a film because of the experience it delivered they will pass it on to family and friends and their wider range of contacts through the likes of Facebook and Youtube.

That makes it a hit or not.

And you are wrong about Jurassic Park. That had a huge amount of publicity for its "realistic" dinosaurs and a massive amount of interest at its time of release . They had interview after interview of just ordinary people on TV saying how brilliant the effects were.And it did near a billion back in the day when a billion was a LOT of money and it was one of the best selling VHS releases ever back in the 90's. Over a third of America watched it when it was televised for the first time, something around 70 million and the entire franchise has made about $5 billion so far.

Has it the intense fanbase SW has thenthe answer is definitely NO. But it has a general popularity with the everyday viewer thats probably nearly as strong.
And that was my whole point.

The general popularity of SW is taking a noticable knock at the moment, driven mainly by this on line war between Lucasfilm /DIsney and a very small percentage of the fanbase, but it IS starting to attract alot of attention from general news and media outlets, and that IS damaging the brand further.
No film company wants that.
But when you get a *** for tat sniping game, with demands to remake the movie, people on youtube channels posting video after yet another video analysing a rumour about a rumour about a tweet or comment "somewhere" and passing it off as a " revolution" just so to bump there numbers up it portrays SW fans in a rather poor light, and as a life long SW fan I can object to that.

Watching this evolve to the levels it has here is rather saddening. We've lost a few good people on bothsides of this argument and this place is lessened for the loss of their voices.

Do you really want to compare franchise box office sizes? ;)

Avatar and Titanic made a crapload at the box office as well... but making money at the BO does not = cultural phenomenon.

In the spirit of the current zeitgeist, I will fill you all in on what I know...

My “sources” tell me that Disney has listened to the fans and has executed a master plan to bring back the fan base—and it is genius.

Not only are they going to remake TLJ, but they are assembling each and everyone (living) who comprised the crew who made “The Empire Strikes Back” and puttIng them in charge. Disney Imagineers have absconded with the animatronic Lincoln from the “Hall of Presidents” and will be converting him into a version of Irvin Kirshner.

After remaking TLJ, Animatronic Kirshner and the remaining crew from “Empire” will be moving on to remake each and every one of the prequels, and from there, to remake a “Return of the Jedi” that is without the Ewoks and changes the death of Boba Fett.

Disney’s “ask” is that the fans continue to make YouTube videos that lead the way and tell them how they can best use Anamotronic Kirshner and crew to fix all things Star Wars. They are specifically mining data from YouTube videos with titles that include “Star Wars”, “sucks”, “why I hate”, “SJW”, “Kathleen Kennedy”, and “fired”.

“We are but your humble servants and we officially bow our heads to the opinions of every armchair critic with a YouTube channel...” Bob Iger was heard to say as he pushed Kathleen Kennedy out of the front door of the House of Mouse. Ms. Kennedy was said to be seen in tears, wandering the parking lot, and carrying a box containing her desktop items and Rien Johnson.

The fans have won—you heard it here first!

Last edited:

dismissing why Solo did poorly is beyond speculation. It is denial.

We *told you* we weren't going to see it. We told you Star Wars was on notice. We didn't have to mail it in an envelope with a postmark and open it after the fact, we went to forums and social media all over and announced what was going to happen.

Now you have proof that we didn't watch, and you are still trying to dismiss the foretold consequence.

Other movies came out and did GREAT around the same time as Solo. You are unphased.

People who love TLJ thought they were going to get away with liking non-StarWarscrap and name calling anyone who disagreed, but you don't have enough time or money to overcome the wave of *rejection* that we have promised.

Even if it kills the franchise, the same deniers won't acknowledge what actually happened. They loved what was *wrong* with it.

Solo didn't fail because fans boycotted... it failed because it just didn't look interesting.

Even if every die hard fan saw it, it wouldn't have mattered. My extended family, each and every one of them, saw TFA and TLJ and even Rogue One... but NO ONE saw Solo. These aren't the fans... these are just people who wanted to go see something fun... and Solo didn't interest them.

For example... my parents thought infinity war looked cool... I told my Dad, "go see if you want, but you haven't seen most of the other movies, so you won't really get the full impact. You should see Solo... it's right up your Alley"

"Nah.... Infinity War looks better"

And that was pretty much how it went with everyone in my family. 20 or so people saw TFA and TLJ... and then only 2 of those 20 saw Solo. None of us were part of the ban, and only one of us was a hardcore fan.

Also...

out of all my 20 or so relatives, ALL but maybe 2 liked TFA... All but 2 HATED Rogue One... and TLJ was predictably right down the middle.

The two who saw Solo liked it.

OH! and of those 20 people... maybe 3 could tell you who actually made the movies or knew of any drama surrounding the fandom... and only one could even tell you who KK is (me)

Solo didn't fail because fans boycotted... it failed because it just didn't look interesting.

Even if every die hard fan saw it, it wouldn't have mattered. My extended family, each and every one of them, saw TFA and TLJ and even Rogue One... but NO ONE saw Solo. These aren't the fans... these are just people who wanted to go see something fun... and Solo didn't interest them.

For example... my parents thought infinity war looked cool... I told my Dad, "go see if you want, but you haven't seen most of the other movies, so you won't really get the full impact. You should see Solo... it's right up your Alley"

"Nah.... Infinity War looks better"

And that was pretty much how it went with everyone in my family. 20 or so people saw TFA and TLJ... and then only 2 of those 20 saw Solo. None of us were part of the ban, and only one of us was a hardcore fan.

Also...

out of all my 20 or so relatives, ALL but maybe 2 liked TFA... All but 2 HATED Rogue One... and TLJ was predictably right down the middle.

The two who saw Solo liked it.

OH! and of those 20 people... maybe 3 could tell you who actually made the movies or knew of any drama surrounding the fandom... and only one could even tell you who KK is (me)

And that, if you read my threads and posts carefully, pretty much matches exactly what my research turned up.

Yeah, it ain't the boycott. It's a general sense of "meh" about Solo. I also would be careful about attributing that sense of "meh" to TLJ. I suspect a good portion of it has to do with the relatively limited prerelease marketing, and a lousy schedule.

Admittedly, I don't have data to compare with, say, Rogue 1, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that Rogue 1 had much more marketing devoted to it prerelease.

And let's also not forget that Solo led an otherwise anemic box office for its first two weeks. Tough to make money when people aren't going to the movies in general.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It was the boycott, it was blowback from TLJ, it was bad press over the production, it was Disney's failure to create genuine excitement for this movie....

What it wasn't - was Star Wars fatigue, or low box office turnout in general (it's a Star Wars movie! With Disney at the wheel! if they can't figure out how to put butts in seats, they need a new marketing department. Star Wars has always set the pace, Disney is a powerhouse...)

The failure of Solo lies in decisions made by Disney/LFL, not any social phenomena.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

No one outside of this forum, or other forums (which is a TINY piece of the fandom) even knew there was a boycott... This site is the ONLY place I've even heard of a boycott.

This site.. these threads.

None of my friends would have even heard there was one...

It looked like a TV ep. The problems in production somehow leaked into the trailers... you could smell a dud.

The boycott being blames is just a bunch of entitled nerds who think they have a bigger say than they do.

If I'm wrong, and it was KK, the boycott, fatigue... then we'll know soon enough. Cuz episode 9, for all the reasons stated by others in this thread, will then do as bad if not worse than Solo.

Cuz you still have KK... you still have boycotts... you still have the remake of TLJ coming... you still have a director switch... you still have Star Wars fatigue...

If all the naysayers in this thread are correct, 9 will BOMB.

*It won't*

It looked like a TV ep. The problems in production somehow leaked into the trailers... you could smell a dud.

Nail on the head... the best way I could describe it to others that asked me about Solo after I saw it was that it was "unoffensive".

It had good parts, it had parts that dragged on too long... it was just... there.

It didn't have the look and feel of a 'blockbuster' or a 'must see' film... and ultimately it just felt gratuitous and unnecessary.

I view it akin to Star Trek: Insurrection; they followed up the excellent spectacle that was First Contact with... well.... a two hour episode of TNG....

It didn't help that the main brunt of the advertising seemed to not be trailers, but what I call tag-ons. Example....Nissan Rogue commercial and at the end, 'See Solo in theaters May 25th'...(ad still runs by the way). There were a couple other companies doing the same thing. THAT isn't going to put butts in the seats, you know?

Nail on the head... the best way I could describe it to others that asked me about Solo after I saw it was that it was "unoffensive".

It had good parts, it had parts that dragged on too long... it was just... there.

It didn't have the look and feel of a 'blockbuster' or a 'must see' film... and ultimately it just felt gratuitous and unnecessary.

I view it akin to Star Trek: Insurrection; they followed up the excellent spectacle that was First Contact with... well.... a two hour episode of TNG....

Say what you will about TLJ... but you can stop the movie at almost any point and the shots look theatrical... it's a BEAUTIFULLY shot movie. I was watching a break down the other day and I couldn't help but notice how insanely great a lot those shots are... The wide shot alone of Rey and Kylo facing off with those guards...

But Solo... brown. Cluttered. No scope. The scenes in the trailers didn't leap off the TV... they looked like they belonged there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back