Disney in talks to buy Fox studio assets..

Man, I'm telling you. The list of what they don't own is getting shorter and shorter. Pretty soon it's going to be Standard Oil all over again. I don't understand how what they are doing isn't considered a monopoly? It's no longer a free market if you own all the cards.

I`ve seen a lot of support for this just because some people get to see their favourite superheros appear in the same movie Irwin Allen style. Hang the broader implications.:facepalm

Man, I'm telling you. The list of what they don't own is getting shorter and shorter. Pretty soon it's going to be Standard Oil all over again. I don't understand how what they are doing isn't considered a monopoly? It's no longer a free market if you own all the cards.
There are plenty of reasons as to why this is happening but we arent allowed to talk about it here. :rolleyes

All it's going to take is a loss of interest in genres, or IPs they own (and what happens when their parks have become mostly associated with the IPs), and another, inevitable downturn in the economy. They'll be back where they were in the 70's, in danger of being sold off in chunks. This time they'll be much more bloated.

All it's going to take is a loss of interest in genres, or IPs they own (and what happens when their parks have become mostly associated with the IPs), and another, inevitable downturn in the economy. They'll be back where they were in the 70's, in danger of being sold off in chunks. This time they'll be much more bloated.

As someone who is going through an MBA program right now, I find this extremely fascinating from a business standpoint.

One problem they'll have is trying to maintain Disney wholesomeness with so many properties. They're going to lose some fans from certain franchises if they sanitize things too much, and possibly offend current Disney fans if they don't sanitize enough.

BIt more ironic is the fact there are probably fewer oil companies these days than movie studios. I think we need to ressurect Teddy Roosevelt.

One problem they'll have is trying to maintain Disney wholesomeness with so many properties. They're going to lose some fans from certain franchises if they sanitize things too much, and possibly offend current Disney fans if they don't sanitize enough.

Disney used to own Miramax and other movie studios as well as record labels that put out product that definitely did not conform to the "Disney wholesomeness" label. They know how to keep their interests separate.

Disney used to own Miramax and other movie studios as well as record labels that put out product that definitely did not conform to the "Disney wholesomeness" label. They know how to keep their interests separate.
We'll see. I don't think they excelled in every IP they've appropriated. I think they will eventually be out of their depth with too many fingers in too many pies. I think quality control will fall flat in some places. Allow me to make an example easily understood. My father works for United Airlines, who offers premier service and world wide locations. They use a myriad of different aircraft requiring several different kinds of parts for different aircraft. While on the opposite side of the spectrum, Southwest Airlines, who flies 95% domestically, offers no customer service and flies one type of airplane with sardine can seating. In the long one, which is more economically feasible for the long haul...? Disney is using the United model by having too many IP's under their control. Own one thing and own it well. Overextend yourself and you fall flat. Ask the Germans at Stalingrad?

We'll see. I don't think they excelled in every IP they've appropriated. I think they will eventually be out of their depth with too many fingers in too many pies. I think quality control will fall flat in some places. Allow me to make an example easily understood. My father works for United Airlines, who offers premier service and world wide locations. They use a myriad of different aircraft requiring several different kinds of parts for different aircraft. While on the opposite side of the spectrum, Southwest Airlines, who flies 95% domestically, offers no customer service and flies one type of airplane with sardine can seating. In the long one, which is more economically feasible for the long haul...? Disney is using the United model by having too many IP's under their control. Own one thing and own it well. Overextend yourself and you fall flat. Ask the Germans at Stalingrad?

All that has nothing to do with the post I quoted and the point I made that just because Disney owns a thing, doesn't mean it has to fit in the "wholesome family entertainment" category. Disney purchased Miramax in 1993. This means that films like Clerks, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, and Trainspotting are technically Disney films. Definitely not family fare. However, to make a connection to your point, during the time Disney owned Miramax, it was one of the most successful and prestigious film studios. Thats just one example. There are others in both film and music. They've been at this a while. They know what they're doing.

In today's world of the internet it's far easier to conect a parent company to everything they own. When they bought Miramax in the 90s it wasn't nearly as publicized as everything is today. Keeping things separate is much more difficult now, as the GOTG mess has exemplified.

In today's world of the internet it's far easier to conect a parent company to everything they own. When they bought Miramax in the 90s it wasn't nearly as publicized as everything is today. Keeping things separate is much more difficult now, as the GOTG mess has exemplified.

Perhaps. All this has just made me realized though that The Bride from Kill Bill is A DISNEY PRINCESS!!!!

beatrix_kiddo_by_mordor_in_love-d8vq2d0.png

To be fair, I do remember all of the hubbub in the papers and on the news about how Disney was producing it's first R-rated feature! That was under Touchstone of course.... I think it was a Bette Midler movie. As a kid it sounded weird.

To be fair, I do remember all of the hubbub in the papers and on the news about how Disney was producing it's first R-rated feature! That was under Touchstone of course.... I think it was a Bette Midler movie. As a kid it sounded weird.

But no one really cared much about the 2nd or the 3rd or the 30th. And they won't care that Disney is making this diverse content under different names now.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back