Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

I would buy into almost any mysterious reason through the force to give Luke another shot. I think back to Lord of the Rings and Gandalf's return.

Citing the script from the film and not the more complex extended form books:
GANDALF: Darkness took me. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again.

[Camera zooms out from Gandalf’s eye, lying naked and very still. His hair has turned white and wounds are completely healed. He suddenly shudders with a deep gasp and pants as life returns to him]

GANDALF: I've been sent back until my task is done.

Perhaps because of Luke's wisdom of the force and knowledge beyond the other Jedi in that the force doesn't just belong to the Jedi, but in fact, to everyone, and his sacrifice that cost him his life, the force wills him back, making him more powerful than ever imagined. Even moreso than Obi-Wan or Yoda.

That way, you have Luke back in his more pure form of balance and discipline that he had "in his prime", but with the wisdom he gained through time before his death.

If he then finally passed on after Episode 9 then fine, but my god give him the send-off he deserves with the integrity of his character intact.

Interesting concept . One I’d fully support if it was ‘ handled ‘ correctly ..., wondering if anyone at LFL / Disney or JJ himself has someone visiting these forums for possible ideas that’ll go along way to rectifying the derisive treatment by RJ of this beloved character !?

:cheersGed

Yoda established that force ghosts can still manipulate the physical world (calling down lightning)...so ghost Luke could theoretically kick ass in 9. I feel like that opens up a pretty massive can of worms plot-wise though. People who thought the hyperspace kamikaze was a bridge too far would have a field day with force ghost Luke deus ex machina.

Meh. Obi-Wan proved that by sitting on a log. :p

Oh please dont tell me your going to use that again. Sitting on a log is in an entire other universe to being able to call upon lightning. He actually walked upon the ground as well or would you have preferred him to glide across like Casper the friendly ghost? Having him standing during that scene would have just been wrong.

The real failure rests with Johnson for forgetting, as he explained it, not having Luke`s robot hand drop to the ground when he left his mortal coil. At least Lucas remembered to have Obi Wan`s lightsaber drop to the ground, which he was holding at the time he was struck down. In my opinion, having Yoda summoning lightning shows Johnson as a lazy writer or having poor knowledge and or little respect for the source material.

Last edited:
I've had this scenario floating around in my head for a while now, wondering what if after TLJ.
Split Episode IX into two. Opening with Luke on Ach-to like he just awoke from a nightmare.
Then you hear yoda's voice say "coming a visitor is, prepare you must. Much work to do". Rey's arrival is the same except
instead for Luke tossing the saber he looks at it full of emotion. not only because its part of his father (before the turn) and himself.
A symbol of his journey and a sign from the force that it is time. Time to wake up the universe. For it to find true balance. Balance he has
found thru the Journal of the Whills. The first text of the force used to teach balance with the force to all things and to train the true
guardians. Hidden on Ach-to for uncounted Millennia, which he has been studying to prepare for this moment.

Part one is the training of Rey ( in my vision that will not be easy for either) couple with escalation of the conflict between the FO and the resistance
Leia Dies in some emotional way, sacrificing herself.

Part two: Luke and Rey leaving Ach-to to search for Kylo Ren and Snoke and to Quote ESB, "to end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy".

I have more in my head about the training, which includes the dangerous fusion of a Jedi and Sith, Kyber crystal to power the next generation
of sabers. (very, very tricky to wield properly. When you master it virtually nothing can defend against it)

Yada, Yada, Yada.

"Reys lineage be important and somehow resolve this mary sue dilemma"

I have an answer to that dilemma. Rey's parents are direct descendants of the Guardians of the Whill.
The first "Jedi" before the fracture into the Jedi and the Sith.

I really dont know how they are going to move forward with EP 9. I have a few ideas that I think would get most of the fans back in good graces. The first being to apologize for their dismissive attitude toward the fan base and take a few steps back to regroup.

My first thought for a cool movie... Kylo has reestablished his Knights of Wren who, at the beginning of Ep 9, track down Rey and almost kill her! Luke's Force Ghost appears and helps Rey escape. Luke tells her to go to a certain star system far away from the First Order to complete her training (yes, similar to ESB). When she arrives she meets with Luke. But then finds herself in the presence of all 3 masters, Luke, Yoda and young Obi Wan... heck why not see Qui Gon too! Each of the masters individually train Rey and each focus on one, but equally important, quality of the Force and help Rey become the Jedi she was destined to be. She learns to control her feelings, her fears, joys, etc

During Rey's training, we see Kylo training and calling out to his grandfather for guidance. Shocked, Anakin appears before Kylo. Kylo falls to his knees and begs him to show him the ways of the dark side. Anakin dismisses Kylo's pleas and urges Kylo to turn back to the light. This enrages Kylo and he further denounces his lineage and falls deeper into an emotional abyss. Kylo even tries to strike down Anakin with his saber. He fully embraces the dark side - that's the only time we see the Anakin Force Ghost.

Add some filler here... Something about Poe, Finn and maybe BB-8 ;)

The end of the movie has Rey facing off against Kylo and his Knights. She easily defeats 3 of them as if they weren't even there. Shocked and confused, Kylo orders the remaining Knights to attack. Overwhelmed, the 3 or 4 Force Ghosts appear only to wipe out the Knights in heroic fashion leaving Rey and Kylo to face each other one final time. During the fight, (this is JUST an idea) Kylo catches Rey off guard and the force of his saber knocks Rey to the ground. Just as he is about to strike, Rey closes her eyes and transforms herself into what appears to be a Force Ghost. Kylo's saber goes through the mist and burns its way into the ground. He is totally stunned. After an awesome light saber duel, Rey finally defeats Kylo, who remains defiant to the end, and his light is finally extinguished from the Galaxy.

Exhausted, Rey drops to the ground where Luke reaches out and helps her to her feet. After a heart warming speech about the Force, her bravery and pure heart, Luke tells her that this is the last time they (the Force Ghosts) can appear and have an immediate influence on the physical world. He explains that they must now transform into a higher existence of the Force (or something like that). Luke tells her that he is very proud of her and that "your mother would be proud too".

As her eyes well up, Luke wipes a tear away and whispers something into Rey's ear... (we get NOTHING more of her lineage. The idea of her being or not being a Skywalker is left up to each viewer :)). Luke slowly fades telling Rey that her Journey is about to begin and... The Force will be with you... always...".

Just a few ideas running through my head. I think it would be a great way to cap off and say our goodbyes to the OT characters / series, give Luke and Co a better send off and now give the Rey character a new beginning, clean slate and a new adventure!

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that they would make E8 a dream or something. Unfortunately were stuck with it as what happened.
I would be down for a episode 9 and 10. E8 really didn't do anything for the story so they might need another episode to hatch it all out. Make it so it doesn't have to be in triologies any more, that would be a good change.

I only have two bets on Ep IX.
Luke will be back as a force ghost.
Abrams will do his best to apply a band-aid and essentially neuter the movie, rendering a safe and enjoyable but ultimately predictable and kind of mediocre experience.
I really hope I'm wrong about that last bit.

I seriously doubt that they would make E8 a dream or something. Unfortunately were stuck with it as what happened.
I would be down for a episode 9 and 10. E8 really didn't do anything for the story so they might need another episode to hatch it all out. Make it so it doesn't have to be in triologies any more, that would be a good change.

It being a force vision nightmare explains why the previous movie is so disjointed and nonsensical.

I really dont know how they are going to move forward with EP 9. I have a few ideas that I think would get most of the fans back in good graces. The first being to apologize for their dismissive attitude toward the fan base and take a few steps to regroup.

Completely agree !

My first thought for a cool movie... Kylo has been rebuilding his Knights of Wren who, at the beginning of Ep 9, track down Rey and almost kill her! Luke's Force Ghost appears and helps Rey escape. Luke tells her to go to a certain star system far away from the First Order to complete her training (yes, similar to ESB). When she arrives she meets with Luke. But then finds herself in the presence of all 3 masters, Luke, Yoda and young Obi Wan... heck why not see Qui Gon too! Each of the masters individually train Rey and each focus on one quality, but equally important, of the Force and help Rey become the Jedi she was destined to be.

Too many force Ghosts. We need Luke to be back physically to train Rey. Luke is still learning the to Balance the dark and the light after what he has discovered. Yoda ok. I'd stop there.

During Rey's training, Anakin appears before Kylo and pleads with him to turn back to the light. This enrages Kylo and he denounces his lineage, and send him into a emotional tailspin. Kylo even tries to take down Anakin with his saber. He fully embraces the dark side - that's the only time we see the Anakin Force Ghost.

Add some filler here... ;)

The end of the movie has Rey facing off against Kylo and his Knights. She easily defeats 3 of them as if they weren't even there. Shocked and confused, Kylo orders the remaining Knights to attack. Overwhelmed, the 3 or 4 Force Ghosts appear only to wipe out the Knights in heroic fashion leaving Rey and Kylo to face each other one final time. After an awesome light saber duel, Rey finally defeats Kylo, who remains defiant to the end, and his light is finally extinguished from the Galaxy.

Exhausted, Rey drops to the ground where Luke reaches out and helps her to her feet. After a heart warming speech about the Force and her bravery, Luke tells her that this is the last time they (the Force Ghosts) can appear and can have an immediate influence on the physical world. He explains that they must now transform into a higher existence of the Force (or something like that). Luke tells her that he is very proud of her and that "your mother would be proud too".

I don't know. Really don't want her to be a Skywalker. Maybe something else, something new.

Just a few ideas running through my head. I think it would be a great way to cap off the OT characters / series, Give Luke and Co a better send off and now give the Rey character a new beginning and clean slate.

Last edited:
If we all can come up with decent ideas to develop a story, why can't the guys getting paid to do so can't. The whole thing is just
mind boggling.

I've had this scenario floating around in my head for a while now, wondering what if after TLJ.
Split Episode IX into two. Opening with Luke on Ach-to like he just awoke from a nightmare.

B9E7F79A-7147-47AD-BF87-A0DDA040F5BF.jpeg

I would buy into almost any mysterious reason through the force to give Luke another shot. I think back to Lord of the Rings and Gandalf's return.

Citing the script from the film and not the more complex extended form books:
GANDALF: Darkness took me. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again.

[Camera zooms out from Gandalf’s eye, lying naked and very still. His hair has turned white and wounds are completely healed. He suddenly shudders with a deep gasp and pants as life returns to him]

GANDALF: I've been sent back until my task is done.

Perhaps because of Luke's wisdom of the force and knowledge beyond the other Jedi in that the force doesn't just belong to the Jedi, but in fact, to everyone, and his sacrifice that cost him his life, the force wills him back, making him more powerful than ever imagined. Even moreso than Obi-Wan or Yoda.

That way, you have Luke back in his more pure form of balance and discipline that he had "in his prime", but with the wisdom he gained through time before his death.

If he then finally passed on after Episode 9 then fine, but my god give him the send-off he deserves with the integrity of his character intact.

The original outline - when it was 12 parts - had obi wan returning from the dead. Luke wasn't going to be able to defeat the Emperor and Vader on his own, so obi-wan somehow crossed back over to join the fight.

The original outline - when it was 12 parts - had obi wan returning from the dead. Luke wasn't going to be able to defeat the Emperor and Vader on his own, so obi-wan somehow crossed back over to join the fight.

Yoda does hit Luke in the head just before he lightening strikes the tree. They do in fact posses a physical presence as a Ghost

Yoda does hit Luke in the head just before he lightening strikes the tree. They do in fact posses a physical presence as a Ghost

In ESB it seemed that Obi-Wan was limited to what he could do for Luke. When Luke decides to go to Bespin, Obi-Wan says he couldn't interfere leading me to believe he was powerless in regards to the physical realm. I think that whole thing with Yoda seems more like junk, that Rian Johnson threw in the film.

In ESB it seemed that Obi-Wan was limited to what he could do for Luke. When Luke decides to go to Bespin, Obi-Wan says he couldn't interfere leading me to believe he was powerless in regards to the physical realm. I think that whole thing with Yoda seems more like junk, that Rian Johnson threw in the film.

You might be absolutely 100% on the money. :)

Oh please dont tell me your going to use that again. Sitting on a log is in an entire other universe to being able to call upon lightning. He actually walked upon the ground as well or would you have preferred him to glide across like Casper the friendly ghost? Having him standing during that scene would have just been wrong.

"No! No different! Only different in your mind!" Brushing aside vines, moving around obstacles, and sitting on the log is definitely a departure from the static figure we'd seen Ghost Obi-Wan to be up to that point. It was appropriate to the scene, and it worked, but interaction with the physical is interaction with the physical. I could argue that reaching out through the Force you're now one with to call down the lightning is less problematic than if Yoda had just Force-Lightning'ed the tree directly.

The real failure rests with Johnson for forgetting, as he explained it, not having Luke`s robot hand drop to the ground when he left his mortal coil. At least Lucas remembered to have Obi Wan`s lightsaber drop to the ground, which he was holding at the time he was struck down. In my opinion, having Yoda summoning lightning shows Johnson as a lazy writer or having poor knowledge and or little respect for the source material.

Where's the line, though? Obi-Wan's cloak and lightsaber remained, but the rest of his clothing vanished with him. But cloak and lightsaber are there in his ghostly form, along with the rest. All of Yoda's clothes went with him, necklace and everything. Anakin left behind his body, not just the cybernetics. And I doubt he was wearing those Jedi robes under the leather bodysuit (never mind having hair). Same as Qui-Gon, who, per the films, was apparently the first Jedi to figure out the Force Ghost trick, even though it was apparently a post-mortem discovery. So there's no hard and fast precedent for what stays and what goes.

Yep. As @cboath mentioned, the original treatment had Obi-Wan progressing from disembodied voice to hazy and distant static figure to close-up and clear -- but still largely static -- figure to animated and mobile figure. it was meant to show him pulling his sense of self back into focus, gradually increasing his ability to affect and interact with the corporeal. And it was to have ended with him making the last step back across to full physicality to stand with Luke against the Emperor. That last part George ultimately excised so as to not undercut Luke, but the rest of the progression is still there.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back