Star Trek Discovery Phaser toy by McFarlane shown at Toyfair

Anybody care to speculate why this was canceled? I'm sure it's just the conspiracy theorist in me that thinks that Anovos has something to do with it. Perhaps it was looking TOO good.

My gut feeling is that either DSC is proving to be too niche to carry an entire toyline, or McFarlane decided it was too much trouble to manufacture a toy that they can't even sell in a dozen states (or however many it is. Six? Eight?)

Anybody care to speculate why this was canceled? I'm sure it's just the conspiracy theorist in me that thinks that Anovos has something to do with it. Perhaps it was looking TOO good.

The most probable reason is just manufacturing issues.

If I were to speculate, Id say this was due to recent gun related politics. Either their CMOs don't want to make gun like toy or McFarlane doesn't want to deal with the politics right now. Please remember that they photoshopped on an orange tip ... and now this. I highly doubt Anovos is actively plotting to corner the market on phasers and both companies risk monopoly fines.

- - - Updated - - -

My gut feeling is that either DSC is proving to be too niche to carry an entire toyline ...

This is a good point.

The most probable reason is just manufacturing issues.

If I were to speculate, Id say this was due to recent gun related politics. Either their CMOs don't want to make gun like toy or McFarlane doesn't want to deal with the politics right now. Please remember that they photoshopped on an orange tip ... and now this. I highly doubt Anovos is actively plotting to corner the market on phasers and both companies risk monopoly fines.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a good point.

I agree with the politics speculation or secondly maybe a production related issue.

Highly doubt Anovos has anything to do with it. Legal Department would have already worked out the licensing of a detailed prop verses a mass produced toy.
Neither McFarlane nor Anovos are garage manufactures so I am pretty sure their agreements were solid.

Edit: Wonder who is going to get the Toy Fair boxed prototype? That would be a nice piece to have.

Sounds like it may not have been McFarlane's decision to cancel it:

Kayla asked the Star Trek question during the Q&A portion of McFarlane’s panel, and he did not address the cancellation directly, but indicated there have been different views between the parties involved (CBS, McFarlane, retailers) when it comes to the Star Trek products they should be introducing to the market, noting in part:

"Sometimes what happens is you get to these weird circular conversations where the studios want you to put out something that the retailers don’t want, and vice versa. So, you have to start doing this dance – usually we can figure it out, but we’re just trying to make sure that everybody is sort of in agreement as to what should be and shouldn’t be out there."

Kayla followed up, noting we were impressed with what we saw at Toy Fair and are hoping the phaser gets made, to which McFarlane said “Yeah, me too!”

https://trekmovie.com/2018/05/27/to...rek-discovery-phaser-pre-order-cancellations/

"retailers don't want?"

What a bunch of gobble d ****.

I think the marketing research is simple.
Make a good phaser and fans will want a communicator and tricorder to go with it.

Make a toy that has been overrun with Nanny State Health and Safety Rubbish, the fans will gripe but will buy and modify your product... if it is good.

So, I’m canceling my Kirk and Picard pre-orders also. I cancelled my anovos phaser also after they missed there dates by 4 months. I am so done with CBS, Paramount and Star Trek license product. If we don’t show them we are tired of being screwed around with we will continue to be pawns.

If we don’t show them we are tired of being screwed around with we will continue to be pawns.

Agreed, we have to vote with our money but how effectively will "they" get the message.

Some marketing person will put a spin on the situation so it comes across as the fan or market fault and not the company's poor decision making that is leading to reduced revenue.

Agreed, we have to vote with our money but how effectively will "they" get the message.

Some marketing person will put a spin on the situation so it comes across as the fan or market fault and not the company's poor decision making that is leading to reduced revenue.

Squeaky wheels gets the grease.. send in direct but polite emails or complaints on their sites or forums and they'll get the message. When sales drop and they have complaints, that drives marketing decisions.

So, I’m canceling my Kirk and Picard pre-orders also. I cancelled my anovos phaser also after they missed there dates by 4 months. I am so done with CBS, Paramount and Star Trek license product. If we don’t show them we are tired of being screwed around with we will continue to be pawns.

First off, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, sending CBS a "message" is next to impossible. For every one person that feel like we do there are 20 idiots out there that could care less. "Hey, screw dem protesters! I'ms gunna get MINES!!!" Getting EVERYONE to come together and march would be impossible.

#marchofthenerds

Organizer: "What do we want?"
Crowd: "An accurate discovery phaser toy!"
Organizer: "When do we want it?"
Crowd: "After we're done playing D&D and surfing the RPF!"

based on McFarlane comments...it appears that CBS was pushing for ST Discovery products but retailers were not seeing the demand for it with pre-orders and then compounding the fact was the issue of McFarlane having to ship 2 derivative version of the toy: one with orange tip and one without (which was their plan based on which state)---and so everyone just canx it :(

But I wonder if many units have already been made ? and how can we get one ? ?

no way I am buying an anovos one...so hoping for a 3-D printed one...

Big Bad Toy Store Product Description

Please note - McFarlane is prohibiting distributors and retailers from shipping this item to consumers in California, Connecticut, Kansas, and New York due to the specific and restrictive "imitation firearm" laws in those states. All pre-orders and in stock orders shipping to these states will be canceled.

According to McFarlane customer service, this isn't their call, it is up to the distributor/store. Same inclusion in the ToyWiz Store ad. So somebody is BSing. Anovos doesn't have a problem shipping to customers who purchased their $500 prop copy, without the red tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back