Klingon D'K Tahg Knife- Let's Get It DONE!

SgtFang

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
This is one of those props that's had more than ample reference over the years, but for some reason has never become widely available.

We've got more than enough talent here to do these, Kaylee has figured out the mechanism-

action1.gif

action2.gif

There's a number of people here who can CNC the blades, and plenty of us who can make the handle pattern.

Here's a pic of a real one from the Chrisites auction a couple years ago-

DkTaghChristiesJPG.jpg

All we need to do is get coordinated, and get a final blueprint with full dimensions.

Engage!

-Sarge

I made both Klingon Knifes and I own a filmed original from DS9.:love Plus I made a prototype for that Klingon knife that is being sold out there. Just not enough interested I guess! :cry

Thermal:lol

Couldn't you just modify the hilt of a Pheonix Knife?

Well, I suppose that could be done, but it'd really be easier all around to just build an entire new one from scratch. While they look really similar, there's just too many little differences to fix to be worth the trouble-

1. I think the phoenix is a little smaller,

2. The phoenix has a oval cross section grip, while the real ones have a rectangular grip,

3. The little mace/ pommel and the cross guards are entirely different...

I know Mike up there made a pretty cool conversion grip back in the day, that Phoenix blades would drop right into, but that was a custom build and not a conversion of the original grip. I can't believe there's no interest in a screen accurate, working version after all these years.

Thoughts?

-Sarge

That is alittle off, one blade is on bottom and one on top of the main blade. But yea I was hoping to 3D print one in parts and put it together, handle and plastic blades to make it con safe.

This above D'K Tahg design is a variant of the one that was seen in the DS9 Episode, "The Way of the Warrior". The funny thing is that the plate that has the Klingon lettering is a House crest for the owner of that knife (the Klingon was named Kaybok). The reason it's funny is that I see these House crests pop up on eBay as Klingon darseks. As far as I know, we have never seen a really good shot of Klingon money (gold latinum doesn't count).

I found this blurb on Kit's website:

"UC726 Phoenix (AKA Bird of Prey) – My version of the Klingon D’k Tahg knife from Star Trek. I took some of the clunkiness out of the original and redesigned my own handle. We tried and tried to get a license to do an official version from Paramount but they had a “no weapons” policy from the Rodenberry days. Our version did eventually get used in the Star Trek: Generations movie and was featured in Star Trek: Deep space Nine. See the Hibben knife list for more Klingon stuff. I also painted an advertising poster that was sent to dealers. "

That suggests Kit based his on a pre-existing prop. Did the knife first appear in Star Trek III or earlier?

I found this blurb on Kit's website:

"UC726 Phoenix (AKA Bird of Prey) – My version of the Klingon D’k Tahg knife from Star Trek. I took some of the clunkiness out of the original and redesigned my own handle. We tried and tried to get a license to do an official version from Paramount but they had a “no weapons” policy from the Rodenberry days. Our version did eventually get used in the Star Trek: Generations movie and was featured in Star Trek: Deep space Nine. See the Hibben knife list for more Klingon stuff. I also painted an advertising poster that was sent to dealers. "

That suggests Kit based his on a pre-existing prop. Did the knife first appear in Star Trek III or earlier?

No, it was only seen in Generations that I know of. The one from Star Trek III was a studio built prop, and only one working one was created. There was also a rubber stunt created. The later versions seen in the TV show were created to resemble the STIII version but the side blades were static. The working STIII was lost for many years but has since been found to be in a private collection.

Edit: after rereading your post, I'd say Kit built his based on the STIII, no earlier version of that style knife was ever seen prior to STIII

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back