Romana's classic sonic build

seems interesting! I'm, not one for the classic series but I still like the workmanship on this project!

Last edited:
Thanks, I do have workshop manufacturing drawings for my interpretation of this sonic if you would like them, as I have no plans on doing any runs of this sonic, as I think Russrep produces an excellent version of this sonic. Just PM me your email.

Last edited:
I just don’t think I could get them as good as Russrep’s version, I did send him all my CAD drawing that I had of the Romana’s sonic to help out.

If anyone has a Russrep Romana sonic, could they post some pic’s here as a reference, also if anyone would like my prototypes that I made, as I no longer need them they can PM me with an offer to take them of my hands if they so like, please note that they are only 80% complete and do require further work to finish them off.

Guys, there are many theories about the Romana Sonic prop from the series, how it was made, what was it made from, etc.

Awhile back, I stumbled on the answer on another corner of the internet and it will really surprise you how much people have been overthinking this one.

It was made with a FOUND OBJECT with COLORED TAPE applied.

The object was....

wait for it...

a telescoping hand tool similar to this...

318qjdh6YNL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

...with the actual "tool" on the end removed, extended out to a certain length, and then bands of colored tape were added on here and there to dress it up! :cool

The only trick now is figuring out the correct make and model of extending tool, which gets tricky some 35-40 years on from when those episodes were filmed. But it would have to have been a model that was available in the UK at the time when the episodes were filmed. And given the way the BBC Props Department did things, it may have been sitting in a box of random props left over from some other BBC production, as was the case with the Doctor's own Sonic Screwdriver that was used by Doctors 3-5 (that began life as a prop seen in a Thunderbirds movie in the late '60s or early '70s, and in that production, it was ALSO a screwdriver.) ;) :thumbsup

Guys, there are many theories about the Romana Sonic prop from the series, how it was made, what was it made from, etc.

Awhile back, I stumbled on the answer on another corner of the internet and it will really surprise you how much people have been overthinking this one.

It was made with a FOUND OBJECT with COLORED TAPE applied.

The object was....

wait for it...

a telescoping hand tool similar to this...

<snip>

...with the actual "tool" on the end removed, extended out to a certain length, and then bands of colored tape were added on here and there to dress it up! :cool

The only trick now is figuring out the correct make and model of extending tool, which gets tricky some 35-40 years on from when those episodes were filmed. But it would have to have been a model that was available in the UK at the time when the episodes were filmed. And given the way the BBC Props Department did things, it may have been sitting in a box of random props left over from some other BBC production, as was the case with the Doctor's own Sonic Screwdriver that was used by Doctors 3-5 (that began life as a prop seen in a Thunderbirds movie in the late '60s or early '70s, and in that production, it was ALSO a screwdriver.) ;) :thumbsup

Wasn't it revealed that it was the antennae from an old walkie talkie? I remember a thread a couple years ago on it. I believe they even had the right model.

Wasn't it revealed that it was the antennae from an old walkie talkie? I remember a thread a couple years ago on it. I believe they even had the right model.
Very possible, as that would have the same telescoping design. I never saw any of the threads about it, just found a post on a blog about it... the correct model was never identified in what I read.

So, to get a replica or her sonic, people spend a $100.00 or more to make a replica of a $4.00 tool?

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol........Sorry.......:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol....no...realy, i'm sorry.......:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol.....ok....i'm ok........sorry........:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

So, to get a replica or her sonic, people spend a $100.00 or more to make a replica of a $4.00 tool?

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol........Sorry.......:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol....no...realy, i'm sorry.......:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol.....ok....i'm ok........sorry........:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Not me. :D

11447-pc010033.jpg

If anyone has a Russrep Romana sonic, could they post some pic’s here as a reference, also if anyone would like my prototypes that I made, as I no longer need them they can PM me with an offer to take them of my hands if they so like, please note that they are only 80% complete and do require further work to finish them off.

PM sent!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back