Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Please explain. If your talking about the stable boy, then that was very old history about Rebellion and Empire that was probably told. And took many years to circulate.

.....no.

The kid clearly says Luke Skywalker and the "toys" he's using are meant to represent the FO.

Honestly, this was the biggest plot hole of the film for me, how the rest of the galaxy found out about Luke's sacrifice.

But again, the epilogue with the kids is clearly intended to show that the kids are talking about Crait, not some random thing Luke did some other time.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi – 10 Revelations From Director Rian Johnson

1. Luke and Kylo's views are built to mirror each other

2. Luke's death had to have resonance
"He's taken himself out of the fight, he's sitting on that island in exile. I know the Luke I grew up with is not a coward, he's not sitting out there hiding, so I had to come up with a reason he was there that was active and positive, and something I could genuinely believe I could think in his shoes."

3. The stable boy ending almost wasn't the last scene
"it turns what Luke did from an act that saves 20 people into an act that inspires the galaxy. The notion that what we're setting up here is something big in the next chapter. And when Leia says, 'we have everything we need,' she's talking about everyone on the Falcon, but also about what we see next, which is we now have a galaxy that has seen this beacon of hope and is getting inspired to fight the good fight."

4. Kylo and Rey's connection is complicated for a reason

5. Rey's parentage was a clear choice
"I went through all the possibilities of who her parents could be. I made a list, with the upsides and downsides. There were two things about this option that made it feel right to me. Firstly. I like the idea that we're breaking out from the notion that the force is this genetic thing that you have to be tied to somebody to have. It's the 'anybody can be president' idea."

6. Carrie Fisher's death did not affect the story

7. Holdo's hyperspace attack reaches back to a line from the past
"I'm sure that a lot of fans had thought ever since Han was talking about if you don't get the calculations right you could go through a star...,"

8. Snoke's unceremonious death allowed for a new paradigm
"This is not Snoke's story."

9. Luke and co.'s expanded Force powers had to compete with what we've seen before
"I feel like we still offered a modicum of restraint, because we didn't have anyone pulling Star Destroyers out of the sky. And believe me, it came up when Luke came out on to the field, I was, like, 'should he wave his hand and all the walkers blow off like dust?' The things that are in there that are Force moments largely came out of the dramatic moments. (OMG - CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT) But the Leia thing is an interesting example. It's something that Kathy kept bringing up, which I thought was interesting. She said, 'I've always been intrigued by what Luke says to Leia in Jedi in that she has the power inside her also, and why haven't we seen that?'

10. Johnson had to resist being a fanboy around Adrian Edmondson

It's funny how much "explaining" this movies needs. Almost as if they had to come up with excuses for the things that people didn't like about it. What's the term for that?....;)

1) So is Luke burying the past a mistake or an act of heroism that takes the Jedi out of the picture? He seems to want to sell both stories in one book.

2) See point 1.

3) Still wondering how the galaxy insta-learns about Luke's sacrifice.

4) It's complicated because Kylo is just being open and honest about wanting her to join him? That's actually pretty simple.

5) Force users randomly crop up all the time, PT is full of them. It's not genetic. Only the Skywalkers seem to inherit it because of the whole "Anakin is a force-messiah" thing. It's like RJ didn't watch the prequels. As much as it stings for some, PT is canon.

6) Hope they have a really good idea for part 9. If not, they may end up besmirching Fisher's last performance.

7) Why didn't they have a droid or something do this in one of the ships that was about to run out of fuel?

8) And the OT was not the Emperor's story. But they managed to fit at least a few lines into the OT, took like 10-15 seconds. RJ couldn't find time during the longest SW movie ever? Too busy saving Human-faced horses and shooting scenes with walrus-ape milking? They could have at least made them Tauntauns.

9) You seem to be taking my opinion that JGL consulted with RJ a bit hard, JJ...I mean JD....:D I can only say that it's an opinion, not a conspiracy, and you are free to not be outraged by it. It's also my opinion that it's precious that someone can be so naive and trusting of Hollywood people.

10) Okay.

.....no.

The kid clearly says Luke Skywalker and the "toys" he's using are meant to represent the FO.

Honestly, this was the biggest plot hole of the film for me, how the rest of the galaxy found out about Luke's sacrifice.

But again, the epilogue with the kids is clearly intended to show that the kids are talking about Crait, not some random thing Luke did some other time.
You're right, it's clear what the epilog was meant to show. One of the key things of the movie that was repeated over and over and over again was hope....

"Only General Leia Organa's band of RESISTANCE fighters stand against the rising tyranny, certain that Jedi Master Luke Skywalker will return and restore a spark of hope to the fight." - opening crawl

"Hope is like the sun. If you only believe it when you see it you'll never make it through the night." - Leia

"We are the spark that’ll light the fire that’ll burn the First Order down." - Poe

"In every corner of the galaxy, the downtrodden and oppressed know our symbol, and they put their hope in it. We are the spark that will light the fire that will restore the Republic. That spark, this Resistance, must survive. That is our mission. Now, to your stations. And may the Force be with us." - Holdo

"Skywalker lives. The seed of the Jedi lives. As long as he does, hope exists." - Snoke

"The galaxy may need a legend." - Rey

Luke's actions were pretty clear - his appearance on Crait was to spur hope to the galaxy. It's clear the new Rebellion needed his spark of hope. How did the word get out? That's not a part of this story - there are much bigger "leaps of faith" we've taken in the Star Wars Galaxy. However, we do know that the First Order had plenty of their ranks witness Luke's actions (and we've seen at least one Stormtrooper leave the FO - it's not unreasonable to think gossip and chatter work their way through their ranks... they knew of Finn) and a small numbers of Rebels saw it (and we know they had allies, even if they didn't show). The epilogue was meant to show that word got out, that doesn't mean we need to show the smallest workings of the Galaxy (or even if these apparent Force sensitive kids were somehow able to sense it).

If the filmmakers need to start explaining every minute details of the workings of Star Wars, these movies will be infinitely longer. We have to take these things how they're presented to us. We accept hyperspace, we accept the construction of a Death Star, we accept all these other things with little question... it's not hard to add "....and the galaxy found out about Luke Skywalker against the First Order on Crait." That might not work for some us - especially if they're already hellbent on picking apart the movie.

I'm still trying to figure out how an astrodroid got a map of the galaxy. :lol

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny how much "explaining" this movies needs. Almost as if they had to come up with excuses for the things that people didn't like about it. What's the term for that?....;)
Sigh. This is the media age - the same kinda things came out during TFA. Rian's doing interviews and this is how it gets spun. Take the tinfoil hat off already, dude.

Funny how the movie only needs further "explanation" (why we're putting this is quotes is beyond me) to those who didn't like it. It's almost as if those people couldn't get over their own expectations for the movie and therefore simply just missed relevant plot points.

It frankly shouldn't have to be explained that the kids at the end are talking about Crait. That's kind of the whole point of the sequence, and as JD points out, it's plastered all over the film, from the opening crawl to the dialogue. The only thing that could have made it more obvious is if Poe broke the fourth wall to say "wait, he's doing this for a reason. He's buying us time to escape. We're the spark that's going to light the fire...." (again, that's probably not verbatim).

We can discuss whether or not Johnson communicated these ideas in the best way possible, but one would be stepping outside the bounds of subjectivity to argue that the film is actually trying to show Luke in some other random showdown.

Sigh. This is the media age - the same kinda things came out during TFA. Rian's doing interviews and this is how it gets spun. Take the tinfoil hat off already, dude.

Its only the most divisive SW movie ever, why would they think there needs to be damage control?......:rolleyes

Also, I have this bridge for sale. You can even install a toll gate and make all your money back...interested?

@jlee562
What a failed piece of reasoning. Those who don't like the movie are the ones who aren't putting up with the explanations.

Last edited:
This thread is slowly becoming much like one of those political discussions where there are a few self-appointed arbiters of truth and taste who preach against hate, exclusion and praise open-mindedness while being bullies and hateful against everyone who is not 100% in line with their views . All this with grown-up men over a stupid Star Wars movie...

. All this with grown-up men over a stupid Star Wars movie...

AAHHH!! So you admit it is stupid ?!?
Good !
Point made !
Game won !
I rest my case !

Just kidding !
I could not help it .

Don't forget to buy a plush porge for those near and dear to you this coming Valentine's day !
Nothing says I love you like ( whatever ) !!!

And remember kids when you are chasing down those pesky rebels always remember .....

WWTD?

what would Thrawn do ?

AAHHH!! So you admit it is stupid ?!?
Good !
Point made !
Game won !
I rest my case !

Just kidding !
I could not help it .

Don't forget to buy a plush porge for those near and dear to you this coming Valentine's day !
Nothing says I love you like ( whatever ) !!!

And remember kids when you are chasing down those pesky rebels always remember .....

WWTD?

what would Thrawn do ?
That's a misfire mate, if you read back you'll find that I really wasn't happy with the movie. What I meant that those who love it simply started to call those who don't haters and just call them names instead of doing civil discussion and acknowledging difference of opinion. You know, it's okay to hate on a hater. Mud-wrestling in plain English that I really don't feel like so, I guess that'll be one less person involved here.

This thread is slowly becoming much like one of those political discussions where there are a few self-appointed arbiters of truth and taste who preach against hate, exclusion and praise open-mindedness while being bullies and hateful against everyone who is not 100% in line with their views . All this with grown-up men over a stupid Star Wars movie...
AMEN!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

We get the idea that galaxy found out through the little epilog with the kids. Word spreads fast in a galaxy far, far away...

Well except when you're building a superweapon capable of destroying entire star systems across the galaxy by firing through hyperspace.. I mean that makes total sense, the empire during it's might couldn't even keep secret it's small space stations, and crap... couldn't even Finish the 2nd one before the rebels POW POW POW'd it... but a plucky group of defeated imperials under strict disarmament plans and punishing reparations were able to secretly build and complete one nearly double in size.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back