The Mighty Thor by Thorssoli FINISHED PICS, P4!!

Re: Thorssoli Finally Decided to Start a Thor Costume

There's been tiny bits of progress on the ankle armor:

I cast a couple pairs of the wings:

They look about right:

Just a bit more tinkering and the front and back ankle plates will be ready to mold as well:

There's been a bit of progress on the bracer for the left arm. I'll post photos of that soon.

In other news, I ordered an appropriately large, wavy blonde wig:

If you need one, you can pick it up here: LINK

I was a bit worried that it would look kinda cheesy for being as inexpensive as it was, but it really looks the part:

More progress to come. Stay tuned...

Will someone be lucky enough to be wearing a version of this beautiful costume in time for Halloween this year ? ;)

Will someone be lucky enough to be wearing a version of this beautiful costume in time for Halloween this year ? ;)

Probably not. I've managed to overbook myself for all of the things this year, so I doubt this will be complete in time.

But for now, the sewing part has begun:

I still have to make and mold the backplate and left arm bracer. The ankle plates need molding too.

And I need to tool the leather belt. So I doubt I can knock it all out today.

It's still going.

Finally made some real progress on the bracer for the left arm. Here's the rough formed Sintra parts with a layer of Bondo on them:

After quite a bit of sanding and filling, they look about like so:

Then they were primed along with the ankle parts:

Finally, because they're going to be molded, I gave everything a standard coat of gloss pink paint:

Next, those pieces will all be wet sanded, waxed, and prepped for molding in fiberglass.

In other news, my fabric for the cape showed up:

Not my first choice, but I think it'll work.

I've been quietly following this from the beginning. It's a great project and your work is brilliant... any updates? By the way, I saw your "Put Your Friend In Carbonite" thread somewhere and it was awesome! I've always wanted to do that! Great work.

The carbonite build? You've got to post the link so other folks can check it out: www.instructables.com/id/Encase-Your-Friends-in-Carbonite/ It's fun.

Regarding updates on this build, all of the little ankle and forearm parts were prepped for molding:

Then I made the fiberglass molds:

Here they are after removing the prototypes:

After laying up fiberglass copies of the forearm, they came out pretty well:

The ankle bits were a bit more rough:

Meanwhile, the helmet's been sitting on the shelf waiting for me to add a clearcoat:

This past weekend, my girlfriend stopped by for a few days again and was none too thrilled to try on the chest armor again:

A little while later, I tacked together the helmet and she donned that one for a few snapshots:

Since I've been in a painting mood these past few days, I put a gloss black basecoat on the handful of helmet casts I had on hand:

I painted the wings too, but I was taking pretty blurry pics that late in the evening:

But the chestplate looks good:

The ankles, ankle wings, and forearm parts are also in gloss black, but I neglected to take any photos tonight.

Eventually I'll make a backplate as well, but with the cape to cover the backside, I'm not thinking it's a huge priority.

I should also point out that my new seamstress showed up the other day with the first round of soft parts. Behold! The first set of skirts:

And the second set:

I couldn't make up my mind exactly how I wanted that front panel to look, so she's making me six different versions.

The next step will be chroming the shiny black parts. Then I just need to make the belt and the mount for the cape.

Soon...

Last edited:

Cool update . An observation if I may - Your girlfriend doesn’t seem ... at all pleased trying on parts of the costume , isn’t she a Thor fan ? :confused:facepalm

Can’t wait to see it all come together :thumbsup

:cheersGed

Mostly she tends to be irate when she stops into the shop to say hi and I ask her to stick some dusty piece of plastic on top of her clean clothes.

So far she actually seems pretty thrilled about the whole project. She's snagged all of my copies of the comics, so that's something.

This armor is going to look soooo good, it's not even funny;)!! Keep up the great work!

Here's where the chest armor is right now:

The ankle parts are nearly done too:

Sadly, I'm going to be away from my shop until sometime in January. I'll be diving right back into this build as soon as I get back. For now, it looks like this is how it will wait:

Stay tuned.

Hey thorssoli ,

The armour is looking superb , thanks for sharing your beautiful updates. :love Looking forward to more when you’re back at it next year :thumbsup

Want to wish you and yours - A Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !

Last edited by a moderator:

Welp, I suppose I'm overdue for an update on this project.

First of all, I've finally worked out the shape for the blank for the belt. I started with a paper template cut to fit my duct tape girlfriend:

From that, I made two different versions of the belt:

Then I picked up a few of these guys:

Disassembled, they give me these parts:

But I only need the shiny bit:

I may make a few tiny changes to how they look or how they're laid out, but I think I'm on the right track with the little mirrors. But before I attach them permanently, I'll need to tool some designs into the leather belts themselves. More on that when I get to it.

In other news, I decided to sculpt back armor onto my duct tape girlfriend:

The sculpt itself was done very rough using some junk clay I had sitting on the bench. I figured it'd be easier to sand and polish a hard copy than perfect the soft clay the way I wanted it, so I pulled a quick fiberglass mold. Here it is in the gelcoat stage:

After laying up the glass and allowing the mold to cure, I removed it from the duct tape girlfriend. It was a mess:

The aluminum foil was originally wrapped around the duct tape dummy in order to keep the clay and fiberglass from sticking to the tape.

Once the mold was sanded smooth, polished, and coated with release agent, I pulled a copy of the backplate:

It was a good fit with the chest:

After a bit of trimming and fine-tuning, the backplate looks like so:

The plan now is to get it all smoothed out and shiny, then pull a new mold so I can make a light, strong, smooth copy without having to spend a bunch of time doing bodyshop work on it.

So now the only armor part left to make is a pair of caps on the toes.

In other news, I had Maria the Robot Whittler (one of my Carvewright CNC Machines) carve out a couple of different options for medallions to use for the cape attachment:

They were carved out of MDF, so in order to get them ready to mold, I had to lay on a few heavy coats of primer:

After that had dried, they were both sanded smooth and coated with gloss enamel:

Later today I'll be pouring silicone into those carved recesses so I can cast copies in resin.

So that's where this project stands right now. The current plan has everything finished and walking around at Wondercon in Anaheim later this month.

Stay tuned for further updates.

Last edited:

Great to so you back on this!! It's a wonderful project and very professional. Keep the updates coming...

Alright, so I molded the shoulder and belt discs:

The rubber I used was Mold Max 30 RTV silicone:

The first set of casts came out great:

I also finished polishing up the first pull of the backplate and I took a mold off of it. Since I'm pressed for time, I set the mold aside and I'm going to be using the pull from the rough mold for this weekend. The first thing I had to do with it was to add the straps that will hold it onto the chest under the arms:

I also added some studs at the shoulders that will hook into the bottom of the collar area. They're just a pair of 1/4" bolts, but I neglected to take photos.

Happy with the rigging for the chest/back, I went ahead and formed a piece of 1/4" Sintra to make the beginning of the cape harness. Here's a shot of it without any fabric:

And here it is with some placeholder red crap I had laying around:

I'm thinking I'll pad the cape harness with some upholstery foam to give it a bit more body and soften the edges.

In other news, I vacformed a couple of layers of styrene and made toe armor for the boots:

They still need paint. I also assembled the ankles and wings:

The only other thing I've done lately is assemble the bracer for the left arm:

I didn't have any center bar buckles in the right color though, so the ends of the straps will be flopping around until I make new ones. Bummer.

So this is about where this lady stands right now:

Today I need to finish tooling the leather belt, paint the backplate and toe caps, and add a bit of weathering to make it all look real.

Stay tuned.

So last week Thursday I made the drive down to Southern California and caught up with Dr. Girlfriend for a test fitting. At that point, the cape still needed to be hemmed, so the costume looked like so:

I had to hold off on deciding the exact length of the cape since my duct tape dummy didn't have feet and I couldn't accurately gauge how high her shoulders were going to sit in heels. So this stage was important:

Friday we went down to WonderCon dressed as First Order TIE fighter pilots:

We didn't get all that many photos though because we were both wearing gloves and our hands were kinda useless.

So it was Saturday morning when Dr. Girlfriend had a minute to hem up the cape and I got to iron out the fabric leg wraps. Then we headed back to the con to show her off. She arrived in all kinds of style:

One of the best parts was watching the other cosplayers interacting with her:

Then there was a guy walking around the exhibit hall asking people to pose for pictures with his parakeet:

We had to oblige:

There were other fun moments around the show floor too:

It was all a genuinely good time, but it was nice to relax afterwards:

Now I've got just a few more tweaks I want to do and then we just need to find a good outdoor location to do a proper photoshoot.

In the meantime, I'm all kinds of proud of this project:

Even if I am unworthy:

Really cool update / photos mate , thanks for sharing . Hope the day turned out as much fun, as it seemed !

The costume turned out beautifully , and the Dr. Girlfriend looked suitable impressive in it too ! ... Wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments re ; last two photos !:lol;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back