The Mighty Thor by Thorssoli FINISHED PICS, P4!!

Re: Thorssoli Finally Decided to Start a Thor Costume

Chest Molding.

After the lightish red gloss coat had dried, the next step was to polish it even smoother. I started by wet-sanding the surface with progressively finer sandpaper, ending with 600-grit:

Then it was wiped clean and given three coats of wax:

Using cardboard and hot glue, I added walls to the edges:

Then I built up clay walls, sprayed on a coat of PVA mold release, and waited for it to dry:

Once the PVA had dried, I brushed on a generous layer of tooling gelcoat:

When that had cured, I set to work laying up fiberglass:

Later that day, I did the same thing on the other side after removing the clay from the parting wall:

And finally, after finishing the second part of the mold, I repeated all of these steps for the third and smallest part on top of the collar:

Today I'll drill bolt holes along the flanges, pop the mold off of the master, trim the edges, polish the inside of the mold, and lay up the first copy of the chest.

Fun times.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that all of my fabric (except the wool for the cape) has arrived. The gold braid trim too:

Woot!

Last edited:

Gotta say mate , although I haven't a clue about ( what you're very competent at ) designing / casting / molding etc.... I really do appreciate catching up on your thread . Not only is it informative and different ( I just try to build models ) , but it's also ( no offence ) , very humorous . Learning / discovering new things should be enjoyable , and if it also brings a smile to your face as your thread does , well then - thank you .

Cheers Ged :thumbsup

p.s. Who're you planning to ask to model the whole outfit when completed - seeings how you've so many options ? LOL !

- - - Updated - - -

Err helpers , I mean !?

Who're you planning to ask to model the whole outfit when completed - seeings how you've so many options ?

Thanks for the kind words. Ideally, I'll have my girlfriend the Lady Shawnon wear this thing when it's done. She's good for this sort of thing:

Aaaand she's ready for something a bit sexier than the last outfit I made for her:

So yeah. She'll end up in this as well. But since she's not around all that often, I'll end up dressing up the occasional stand-in in this outfit as well.

In other news, today I opened up the chest mold:

After wet-sanding, polishing, and coating it with mold release, I laid up the first copy of the chest plate. Once I gave it a quick trim with the shears, I test fit it to the duct tape copy of the girlfriend:

Next I'll cut a bit more material away at the sides and shoulders, so it'll sit a bit lower and farther back. But for now, I'm pretty happy with how this piece turned out. Sadly, it doesn't fit me at all:

On a related note, I've also finished one of the Mjolnir kits:

So now it's time to focus on the ankles, left arm bracer, and the belt.

On the subject of the belt, here's my first attempt at leather carving:

I made a second attempt a few hours ago. I figure I need to do three learning pieces before I'm satisfied that I know the medium well enough to make the whole belt.

So that's coming right up.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Thanks for the kind words. Ideally, I'll have my girlfriend the Lady Shawnon wear this thing when it's done. She's good for this sort of thing:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7785/17525276721_1e44d5851b_c.jpg

Aaaand she's ready for something a bit sexier than the last outfit I made for her:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4273/34665000782_3fb595ea08_c.jpg

So yeah. She'll end up in this as well. But since she's not around all that often, I'll end up dressing up the occasional stand-in in this outfit as well.

In other news, today I opened up the chest mold:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4359/37298931015_6645ede50d_c.jpg

After wet-sanding, polishing, and coating it with mold release, I laid up the first copy of the chest plate. Once I gave it a quick trim with the shears, I test fit it to the duct tape copy of the girlfriend:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4353/37298930505_22c0b0af1e_c.jpg

Next I'll cut a bit more material away at the sides and shoulders, so it'll sit a bit lower and farther back. But for now, I'm pretty happy with how this piece turned out. Sadly, it doesn't fit me at all:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4401/36484286393_d82ebefae5_c.jpg

On a related note, I've also finished one of the Mjolnir kits:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4424/36484286333_0b8764cb4f_c.jpg

So now it's time to focus on the ankles, left arm bracer, and the belt.

On the subject of the belt, here's my first attempt at leather carving:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4425/36884208270_32342d0989_c.jpg

I made a second attempt a few hours ago. I figure I need to do three learning pieces before I'm satisfied that I know the medium well enough to make the whole belt.

So that's coming right up.

Stay tuned.

wow that's really good...I'm intrigued about the leather carving...may look up some videos...

For a first, your leather carving is not bad at all:eek I'm sure it'll be better next time! Eager to see the next update.

Fantastic job with the faux leather on the hammer handle. It looks great.

Fantastic job with the faux leather on the hammer handle. It looks great.

Thank you, sir. Here's a couple of pics in better light:

For a first, your leather carving is not bad at all:eek I'm sure it'll be better next time! Eager to see the next update.

Well, here's my second attempt:

It's a little messy where the fine details are in the middle of the piece. I may have found the limit of the material when it comes to making smaller patterns. More likely, I probably just need more practice. Here it is next to my first attempt:

In other news, I made a few minutes to sand the mold flashing off of the chest plate. Here it is on the duct tape dummy:

Then, as luck would have it, the girlfriend decided to make a surprise trip home for a couple of days and I got her strapped into the current parts in progress. Here's how everything looks without the skirts or belt and with a towel for a cape stand-in:

Clearly there is still work to be done.

Cool update . Those images of Mjolnir could have come from location pics from the first movie ( desert crater ! ) . The leather works looking terrific too - are you planning to incorporate it into this Thor build ? Finally , your girlfriend looks great in your work ( in progress ) , but wondering , the ' wing ' ? On her boot / shoe , is that part of the costume too ?

Cheers Ged :thumbsup

Great and exciting build! I loved seeing all the progress photos!

Following this!

The leather works looking terrific too - are you planning to incorporate it into this Thor build ? Finally , your girlfriend looks great in your work ( in progress ) , but wondering , the ' wing ' ? On her boot / shoe , is that part of the costume too ?

I'm learning leatherwork in order to make the belt. I'm aiming to make it something akin to the belt on the Sideshow Premium Format Figure, but possibly a bit more intricate:
marvel-thor-jane-foster-premium-format-300523-11.jpg

The wings on her boot will be part of the costume, yes. They're part of the character design:
STL020194.jpg

I've made it a point to scale them down a touch in order to prevent them beating into each other. Right now they look about like so:

Great and exciting build! I loved seeing all the progress photos!

I apologize for not having more photos this time around. Stay tuned. There will be much more to come.

Eager to see the leather work!

I'm still in the learning stage. Here's my second attempt at mastering the material:

Here it is next to the first piece:

I'm not sure if it's an improvement or not, but I figure I need to do one more practice piece before I tackle the actual belt for the costume.

Made a tiny bit of progress on the ankle armor. Here's a paper mockup:

Once I was happy with the shape, I had an assistant cut out the parts in Sintra and bend them to shape with some heat. Sadly, the only pictures I have at this point are of my assistant trying to cut out the parts with the assistance of the shop kitten:

Shop kitten is not much help:

Next we'll be molding the little wings for the ankles. Stay tuned...

I can sit and watch your work all day...which is probably why i dont get my own work done....Amazing work like always.

I can sit and watch your work all day...

Make sure you check out my Grey Knight Terminator build. That's where most of my hours are spent this week.

For the Lady Thor, I've got the ankle wings all ready to mold:

So I'm nearly at the point where the only hard part that's left to make is the bracer for the left arm.

Stay tuned...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back