Noah's Ark

Cool! I look forward to seeing this go! I've gotten my own Ark model going again, too. I'm building mine of plastic and it's about two feet long.

I was perusing the model railroad store I buy my plastic at and admiring the HO scale figures... I briefly considered building to that scale for the readily available figures... but that would make the Ark a touch over five feet long... so...

--Alex

N scale!

- - - Updated - - -

You can but it will be 4x more expensive. I can pick up several tubes for you at poundland if you need any

I found them on amazon, here ya go buddy! They're not very detailed (obviously) but they're pretty nice for 4 squid quid

Ebay has them too. Probably cheaper.

Nice job!

Actually, the wide variety of animals on the earth can all be traced back to 'root parents.' For instance, every variety of dog on the planet can be placed back to three main breeds. So, there may have only been a few dogs on the ark, with the last few thousand years of cross specie breeding that has resulted in the variety we have today.

That may well be true but remember we need to keep this thread about model making only or there maybe be more disagreements with people again :thumbsup

N scale!

Sounds like a good idea to me, Caleb what do you think?

Ebay has them too. Probably cheaper.

I haven't found them cheaper actually, they're normally around the same

That may well be true but remember we need to keep this thread about model making only or there maybe be more disagreements with people again :thumbsup

Sorry, didn't actually read the whole thread, just skimmed to the cool build shots and read about filling it up with live stock. Didn't mean to start/propogate/continue anything by the thread.

remember when you get around to the animals that noah took 7 of the clean and 2 of the unclean (everyone always forgets that), if you wish to be more accurate in your model =)

also don't confuse the modern definition of "species" with the word "kind" the scripture uses. species is more narrow of a term than kind is. for example you only need 2 dogs and not 200 of every breed.

other than that, the ark itself is basically an unpowered barge. will be interested to see the final product!

remember when you get around to the animals that noah took 7 of the clean and 2 of the unclean (everyone always forgets that), if you wish to be more accurate in your model

Some scholars even inurpret this to mean seven pairs of the clean animals... meaning fourteen of each! Of course, that would make sense if the intent is to breed them, but that would also mean taking up even more room on an already crowded vessel. Seven could mean three pairs and a bonus animal to sacrifice to God!

--Alex

"Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female."

it could be read that way. I don't know the subtleties of the Hebrew that well to say. id be ok with 14.

"And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar."

yep, he needed spare clean animals for sacrifice after the flood in genesis 8.

You can but it will be 4x more expensive. I can pick up several tubes for you at poundland if you need any

Thanks. But first I'll see if I can find them at a poundland near me.
thunderbolt47d: Thanks. :D I'm really glad with how it turned out too. And on the subject of models, I'm not sure what scale it is exactly, but probably closer to 1/160.

Last edited by a moderator:
good interpretation on a famous story, i thought this was the ark from the new aronofsky film, but cool none the less, i'll just put it out there... i dont believe in this story or in the ark since it was never found and doesn't make any sense to me with that being said, but i do appreciate the model being built off of something you believe in and have a passion for, good luck with the build!

I've got the UHU! We went to Poundland and got two packets of it, as well as a knife set, with 12 different blades. It looked like the same kind of knife you were using, William, so I thought it would be good to get it.

Last edited:
Hey! I don't feel like starting a thread for my own Ark project. But, I figured I'd show you my progress on my own model. (Don't worry, I'm not gonna hijack your thread!)

It's about two feet long. The back wall, which will be visible through the open door, is detailed, but the rest is just painted black. The whole thing is built of sheets and strips of styrene.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to seeing your next attempt!

--Alex

That looks really cool! I love the detail you've put into that back wall. How long did that take you to make?

I hope you manage to finish it.

Thanks! The pieces of wood I got are almost exactly 3 feet long, so this ark is going to be pretty big. I've got to think about where to put it.

On the subject of actually building it, two lengths of wood next to each other gives the right length and width. But if I just glue them together, it will be too weak and might fall apart, won't it? So I'm planning on cutting up one of the thinner lengths of wood and sticking those pieces on top of the main two. I might have to use more than one of the thin lengths of wood to cover the whole length of the ark, but that would work, wouldn't it? I hope that makes sense.

good interpretation on a famous story, i thought this was the ark from the new aronofsky film, but cool none the less, i'll just put it out there... i dont believe in this story or in the ark since it was never found and doesn't make any sense to me with that being said, but i do appreciate the model being built off of something you believe in and have a passion for, good luck with the build!

Forget the fact that the story of Noah has been around for over 5000 years, is in EVERY culture on the planet, and even the Chinese alphabet's number 8 is based on the story of Noah......

If the Ark was found, how many would still refuse to believe? Yet millions believe in evolution, which is in itself 'faith', or bigfoot......or aliens......or bipartisanship.........

That's the beautiful thing....no one HAS to believe in anything, for either side of the coin. It's what we choose to believe in that matters to us personally. And my choice does not make me somehow more intelligent or enlightened than your choice.

The fact that I don't believe in evolution, or bigfoot, etc., does not make me smarter than those who do, nor does it make me 'uneducated' either.

And yes, I am replying expressly because it was 'just thrown out there'......

Like I said earlier, great build, that was made as a replica from the actual build instructions of the source material.

Whether you consider the ark to be a subject of fact or fiction to me is irrelevant to the fine job you're doing on this build. It's nice to see young people who can do more with their hands and minds than play video games or use a smartphone.

Let's not get into a debate about whether or not it really happened, please. I don't want this thread to get closed.
SofaKing01: Thanks. :)
trekriffic: Thank you. Honestly, I spend much too much time on the computer, so I'm trying to spend more of my time doing productive things, like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether you consider the ark to be a subject of fact or fiction to me is irrelevant to the fine job you're doing on this build. It's nice to see young people who can do more with their hands and minds than play video games or use a smartphone.

+1. :thumbsup Mostly because I'm a middle aged guy who doesn't know how to use a smart phone!

That looks really cool! I love the detail you've put into that back wall. How long did that take you to make?

Thanks! I really don't ever keep track of how many hours anything takes, I know I'll only disappoint myself if I actually account for how I spend all my time...

Thanks! The pieces of wood I got are almost exactly 3 feet long, so this ark is going to be pretty big. I've got to think about where to put it.

On the subject of actually building it, two lengths of wood next to each other gives the right length and width. But if I just glue them together, it will be too weak and might fall apart, won't it? So I'm planning on cutting up one of the thinner lengths of wood and sticking those pieces on top of the main two. I might have to use more than one of the thin lengths of wood to cover the whole length of the ark, but that would work, wouldn't it? I hope that makes sense.

I'm not sure I understand what you're describing. However, I suggest you might put ribs that run transversely to the seam in your strips of wood. That's not only strengthen it up a great deal, but it will also make the interior look that much more authentic.

Also, sounds like your Ark is gonna be 1:150 scale, in case you were wondering. A guy would be about 12 mm tall.

Have fun with your build!

--Alex

Nice build and N scale sounds like the way to go as someone mentioned before. I model in N scale and it is 1:160 as stated. And don’t mind the people poking fun and laughing they laughed and made fun of Noah too “until the day that Noah entered into the ark and they took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away”. As for the n scale animals try woodland scenic or Preiser. They have tigers, bears, elephants, giraffes...and the Preiser - Shepherds & flock w/dog item No.# Preiser 79160 would make a nice Noah figure. 79160.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back