Some stuff I hand made for my Jack Sparrow costume...

HIGH5orDIE

I have been Cap'n Jack for the past six Halloweens. This year I decided to step up the costume, but I'm not loaded so I had to keep it cheap, which essentially means I had to make a bunch of ***** myself...

I started with the wig. A Kanekalon wig(8USD) was the base and back braid which I wrapped in leather cord(4USD) and adorned with larger Chinese fortune coins(1USD). I custom ordered around 40 wool dreads(38USD) 22 black and 18 dark brown but the brown have yet to be sewn on. I also found a screen accurate bandana on ebay(13USD) ▼
wig_back.jpg

I then crafted a fid and attached some hemp twine(2USD).▼
0612131428.jpg0612131428b.jpg0612131429.jpg

The "Kuchi Strand" was a big challenge for me as I wanted it to be as accurate as possible without breaking the bank. I purchased some oven-bake polymer clay(7USD) and commissioned a custom stamp from thestampmaker (8USD) to tackle the square bead first▼
Untitled.jpg0824131900.jpg

I rolled out the polymer clay as flat as I could and stamped out a few trials/failures▼
0824131922.jpg

I finally figured out a more efficient way to make the bead. I bought some rattle can primer and aluminum colored paint and sprayed it. After it dried I took some of the black acrylic paint(next photo) I had left over and used a toothpick to fill in some cracks to give the aged silver-ish appearance▼
0809132304.jpg0809132304a.jpg

I crafted all of the rest of the beads for the strand using the same polymer clay and painted with some cheapo acrylic paint from Wally World(5USD). ▼
0824131946.jpg

Then with a little faux leather(4USD) and a few more crafted and painted beads... I made the "African Trade Strand"▼
0824131952a.jpg

I then bought ten 1" brass rounds(3USD) and using that same faux leather, acrylic paint and some 3D tshirt paint(2USD) I made a "Tsunami Seacoin"▼
0808130932b.jpg

This is currently what the wig looks like... but as I said some dreads haven't been put on yet, not to mention a few coins▼
0824131744.jpg0824131745.jpg

While I waited for some items for my wig to arrive... I bought a pair of raw hide work gloves(6USD) and hacked them to ***** until I had a palm glove.:thumbsup▼
0725130113.jpg0725130115.jpg0725130755.jpg

ANNND I made a chickens foot!▼
0809132303.jpg

That's it so far. I will update with pics when I finish the wig or this wrist wrap
screenshot000.png
....Whatever comes first

Thanks for checkin it out!:D

Attachments

• wig_front.jpg
    wig_front.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 216
  • wig_front.jpg
    wig_front.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Looking good there! I'm thinking of doing a Cpt. Jack for the Disney cruise we're going on soon. Thanks for sharing!

Daric,
When you sailing?
I'm on next week for the Dream, and I've been working on Davy Jones.
If you go as Cap'n Jack, I don't want you ripping out my heart :D

Daric LaRone Thanks for the kind words :) I didn't know they let you dress up! I know the parks don't allow it.. that is unless it's Halloween of course.
Guri Thanks I'm particularly proud of the square Kuchi bead. Although it only took me a few tries to get it right (at least to my standards) it was definitely a feeling of accomplishment.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Daric LaRone Thanks for the kind words :) I didn't know they let you dress up! I know the parks don't allow it.. that is unless it's Halloween of course.
@Guri Thanks I'm particularly proud of the square Kuchi bead. Although it only took me a few tries to get it right (at least to my standards) it was definitely a feeling of accomplishment.

They let you dress up for Halloween at the parks, but I got stopped inside a couple of years ago by security because I had a full mask.
Later they let me wear it as " they can see your eyes" so that seems to be OK.
I take it, that if they can't see your eyes, they won't let you wear it.
Later in the evening we were approached by the Disney Blog photographers and film crew so's they could use our images for the pages.!!!
After we signed a release, they gave us some free prints, and we are still on there lol:D

Last edited by a moderator:
The wife is going as Angelica Teach and despite my best efforts I couldn't find her baldric or even a similar one..
Pic of ACME version▼
DSC03292.jpg

so once again I busted out the clay.
0822131216a.jpg

I plan to attach them to this▼
Untitled.png

I also bought some metal studs to adorn the rest of the belt...
By no means perfect but I think it will look ok

Got the material for the wrist wrap and looks better than I thought it would
0826131510.jpg0826131511.jpg0826131512.jpg

but I need some opinions regarding colors...
screenshot001.png

To me it looks like (LEFT to RIGHT) White-small light blue- Pink- small light blue- Yellow-small light blue- Gray- small light blue- Yellow
What do you guys think... any opinions appreciated.

EDIT: I just noticed how jacked my pinky looks... I've broke it four times and dislocated twice LOL

Yo looks cool,
I dressed as captain jack sparrow a couple of years ago on the Disney cruise, but it was a store bought costume, and I look absolutely nuthin' like the cap'n :facepalm
So I'm DJ this year 'cos the mask hides everything lol

Would you be able to tell me what wig specifically you got, and possibly who you custom-ordered those dreads from?
I'm in dire straits to get meself a wig what looks sufficiently Sparrow-like. (the dreads and ponytail/backbraid are particularly worrisome - any advice?)

EDIT: I want that kuchi strand! Any ideas on what I might do for one, without spending a hundred bucks or winding up with a piece of garbage? (Would you be willing to make one for me, perhaps?)

Last edited:
Would you be able to tell me what wig specifically you got, and possibly who you custom-ordered those dreads from?
I'm in dire straits to get meself a wig what looks sufficiently Sparrow-like. (the dreads and ponytail/backbraid are particularly worrisome - any advice?)

EDIT: I want that kuchi strand! Any ideas on what I might do for one, without spending a hundred bucks or winding up with a piece of garbage? (Would you be willing to make one for me, perhaps?)

Wig = A little lighter in person so maybe go for a darker one Amazon.com: long curly wig brown wig obique bands hair for women lacefront wig hair wig full lace wig synthetic wig for party: Beauty

Dreads = 2x Amazon.com: Rasta Imposta The Original Tam With Dreadlocks, Multi, One Size: Clothing

More Dreads = Custom order of SIX 44" hand made wool dreads black to brown mix. https://www.etsy.com/transaction/144310416?ref=fb2_tnx_title

Bandana = mangofever05 | eBay

And as far as the Kuchi strand goes I have all the beads to make another strand WITHOUT the bottom dangle. Unfortunately the two "metal looking" beads I made from clay need a better paint job and I'm out of paint with no need for more. So if you're willing to paint these ▼ yourself PM me and we can work something out.

1001131647_zpsd132b808.jpg

Attachments

• 1001131647_zpsd132b808.jpg
    1001131647_zpsd132b808.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 103
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back