Solo: A Star Wars Story

From the EW article: "They [Lord & Miller] are comedy masterminds who made The LEGO Movie, the 21 Jump Street films..."

Masterminds? :behave

I've never had any interest in those films, but I LOVE Clone High.

But that style is in no way appropriate for a SW movie.

It's not just physical resemblance. No matter how different they look Glover comes off as a friendly and likable person, like Williams. I could believe Glover as a young Lando due to that. Also, Glover is a reliable performer otherwise...no real reason to think he'll do poorly.

AE has nothing of Ford's affability. And, consequently, neither will his Han Solo. Also, he needed an acting coach to teach him how to act. Something that a lot of people are just sweeping under the rug.

Now Remember: These are the exact same people that were loosing their minds when they were forced to recast Obi Wan Kenobi, Other than the same old same old about the prequels Ewan McGregor did a fabulous job and now everyone wants stand alone Ewan Obi movies. Your real issue here is you have merged a real life person with a fictional character. There are people out their who can`t see anyone but George Armstrong as Superman since he was the first live action superman, others its Christopher Reeve and on and on and on. Characters don`t change only the people who put on the costumes. I say give the guy and the movie a chance, if nothing else a ton more props droids and ships will come out of the future movies. Needing a Acting coach never really means anyone needs to be taught how to act, Acting is simply the art of pretending, what he needed was a coach to help him get the mannerisms of the character. Singers take voice coaches it helps them improve their range.

Sorry about that, not sure what happened to my post when I was trying to edit it. I hate when it logs me out when I'm in the middle of typing and then I try and save it.........re-posted a few entries below.

Last edited:
I will say that I give AE a hell of a lot of credit for taking this role on. Everyone else in it, including Glover have an easy ride, Lando`s much loved but doesnt compare to the Legend, and Icon status of Han, not even close. All eyes are on AE and regardless of how the film turns out, I hope his career gets a big boost out of it.

Having said that, this film is clearly just a last attempt to milk some money out of the history Disney seem so desperate to move on from. There is even a chance we will never see an Obi Wan movie as there just does not seem to be any toy money in it at the end of the day. That is a shame as its really the only anthology movie people ever wanted.

Question for those who are struggling with Alden not resembling Han. Do you feel the same way about Glover not resembling Lando? General observation from my social media feed and podcast conversations people seem really excited about Glover as Lando and we haven’t even heard him deliver any dialogue as of yet. It’s a curious bifurcation of responses to what should be a similar issue.

While I am not personally struggling or butt hurt with the casting of AE, I would be willing to bet that if there were another actor out there who looked, acted, and sounded exactly like a young Billy Dee Williams (as much as AI resembles Ford) and that actor actually played a "younger" Billy Dee Williams character in a previous movie, it would be a topic of much discussion. It's just not the case with Glover and the Lando role and the discussion is not even worth comparison.

This is a unique and rare situation in my opinion. I don't think most people who feel this way about AI are expecting Hollywood to always cast an actor, who's portraying a younger version of an established character, with such an uncanny resemblance.

I recognize that physical and verbal similarities are not always necessary. Ewan McGregor sold me as a young Obi-Wan Kenobi despite not really looking like Alec Guinness and having only a generically similar speech pattern / accent. I only look at the AE / AI discussion from a personal fanboy point of view. For me, seeing AI in those Age of Adeline clips made me believe I was watching a young Harrison Ford. And quite honestly as a huge Star Wars and Han Solo fan, the idea of him as Solo seemed just a little more magical.

But........it doesn't prevent me from seeing AE's performance objectively and it certainly doesn't automatically preclude me from believing he is that character.

Last edited:
Geat post AZ

While I am not personally struggling or butt hurt with the casting of AE, I would be willing to bet that if there were another actor out there who looked, acted, and sounded exactly like a young Billy Dee Williams (as much as AI resembles Ford) and that actor actually played a "younger" Billy Dee Williams character in a previous movie, it would be a topic of much discussion. It's just not the case with Glover and the Lando role and the discussion is not even worth comparison.

This is a unique and rare situation in my opinion. I don't think most people who feel this way about AI are expecting Hollywood to always cast an actor, who's portraying a younger version of an established character, with such an uncanny resemblance.

I recognize that physical and verbal similarities are not always necessary. Ewan McGregor sold me as a young Obi-Wan Kenobi despite not really looking like Alec Guinness and having only a generically similar speech pattern / accent. I only look at the AE / AI discussion from a personal fanboy point of view. For me, seeing AI in those Age of Adeline clips made me believe I was watching a young Harrison Ford. And quite honestly as a huge Star Wars and Han Solo fan, the idea of him as Solo seemed just a little more magical.

But........it doesn't prevent me from seeing AE's performance objectively and it certainly doesn't automatically preclude me from believing he is that character.

Now Remember: These are the exact same people that were loosing their minds when they were forced to recast Obi Wan Kenobi, Other than the same old same old about the prequels Ewan McGregor did a fabulous job and now everyone wants stand alone Ewan Obi movies. Your real issue here is you have merged a real life person with a fictional character. There are people out their who can`t see anyone but George Armstrong as Superman since he was the first live action superman, others its Christopher Reeve and on and on and on. Characters don`t change only the people who put on the costumes. I say give the guy and the movie a chance, if nothing else a ton more props droids and ships will come out of the future movies. Needing a Acting coach never really means anyone needs to be taught how to act, Acting is simply the art of pretending, what he needed was a coach to help him get the mannerisms of the character. Singers take voice coaches it helps them improve their range.

I don't really buy into "these are the same people" arguments. Mostly because you likely have no proof of that. And "loosing their minds"? Meh, hyperbole.

I haven't merged a real life person with any fictional character. Actors real life personalities and charisma commonly show through their characters.

You're thinking of George Reeves. Who is easy to remember because his name is so close to Christopher Reeve.

No, the character can change depending on the actor. Cavill plays a sort of burdened Superman, where Christopher Reeve had pure fun with the role for example.

You mean all the cool Star Wars tech like X-Wings and Tie Fighters? VERY COOL!!! Or maybe how about good movies with strong characters because props are neat but empty.

Most actors of a caliber to star in major high-budget film like Star Wars film would already know how to slip into character. Bringing in an acting coach became news due to the unusual nature of it.

I don't really buy into "these are the same people" arguments. Mostly because you likely have no proof of that. And "loosing their minds"? Meh, hyperbole.

I haven't merged a real life person with any fictional character. Actors real life personalities and charisma commonly show through their characters.

You're thinking of George Reeves. Who is easy to remember because his name is so close to Christopher Reeve.

No, the character can change depending on the actor. Cavill plays a sort of burdened Superman, where Christopher Reeve had pure fun with the role for example.

You mean all the cool Star Wars tech like X-Wings and Tie Fighters? VERY COOL!!! Or maybe how about good movies with strong characters because props are neat but empty.

Most actors of a caliber to star in major high-budget film like Star Wars film would already know how to slip into character. Bringing in an acting coach became news due to the unusual nature of it.

You mean like Mark Hammil? Never heard of before star wars Harrison Ford who was such a well known actor at the time of Star Wars he was building sets for other movies. or Carrie Fisher who was only getting roles because of whom her parents were? Yeah you seem to know a lot. I`ll take your word for it.. Replacing an Actor in a on going tv show happens all the time. It`s the reason they had to give "Becky 2" a new role in the Rosanne Reboot among other past roles that have been switched out and no one cared. The truth of the matter is simple Harrison Ford played the role of Han Solo Han Solo never played the role of Indiana Jones or any other character Harrison ford played. That's like saying Robert Deniro added all the character to his character in Goodfellas or Joe Pecsi no those were actual people Jimmy the gent Burke (Name Changed for the Film) Tommy DeSimone( Name changed for the film)

You mean like Mark Hammil? Never heard of before star wars Harrison Ford who was such a well known actor at the time of Star Wars he was building sets for other movies. or Carrie Fisher who was only getting roles because of whom her parents were? Yeah you seem to know a lot. I`ll take your word for it.. Replacing an Actor in a on going tv show happens all the time. It`s the reason they had to give "Becky 2" a new role in the Rosanne Reboot among other past roles that have been switched out and no one cared. The truth of the matter is simple Harrison Ford played the role of Han Solo Han Solo never played the role of Indiana Jones or any other character Harrison ford played. That's like saying Robert Deniro added all the character to his character in Goodfellas or Joe Pecsi no those were actual people Jimmy the gent Burke (Name Changed for the Film) Tommy DeSimone( Name changed for the film)

Well, ultimately the point is that the actor can act. And no one had to get acting coaches for the OT crew. But I'm also not talking about Hollywood 1970's, I'm talking Hollywood today.

Replacing an actor in TV happens often because TV is a high volume business and projects can go on for years. Sometimes people have to go live their lives. Goranson went to college. That's how Chalke got cast as Becky 2. Also, giving an actor a new role is different than taking the same role from a different actor.

My point isn't that Han Solo and Indiana are similar to each other. The point is that Ford's affability is present in both characters because Ford is affable.

You talk like Goodfellas was a documentary or something. It was a drama. And you can bet Pesci, Deniro, and the whole cast were juicing up the roles for the cameras.

I'm looking forward to it.....but I saw this T-Shirt today......maybe they should have left it alone

attachment.php

J

Attachments

• Wanted.jpg
    Wanted.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 337
Not sure if this was covered. But does anyone think that a clean Falcon ruins the character of the ship. Did we need to see that it was once new? Or would it have been better to wonder why it looks like crap but is still a beast?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Don’t get me wrong, humorous moments definitely belong in Star Wars. But I don’t want cheesy rimshots going off in my head non-stop as I watch this. And no Star Wars movie should ever be described as “funny” IMHO. Funny moments, yes, funny movie, no. I think Rogue One was one of the most serious and saddest movies in the franchise, but I also think it had some of the best humor with K2SO.

Exactly, the franchise had it's first major stumble IMO when Lucas said "I thought it would be funny if there was a big musical number in the middle of a Star Wars movie" (paraphrasing).

That said, I feel like Ron Howard has a pretty good feel for comedy - and how it fits into his more dramatic movies. His good ones, at least.

If you are a fan of Willow then there isn't much to worry about since that was Ron Howard working with a Lucas product.

I do find it funny that Star Wars has been dropped from the name in China and it is going to be Ranger Solo...?

To my thinking, There isn't anything Ranger-esque about Han Solo.

If you are a fan of Willow then there isn't much to worry about since that was Ron Howard working with a Lucas product.

I do find it funny that Star Wars has been dropped from the name in China and it is going to be Ranger Solo...?

To my thinking, There isn't anything Ranger-esque about Han Solo.

Traduttore traditore - aka The Translator is a Traitor. It could be that the word in Chinese fits Solo to a T.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back