New BMF coming

Any chance we'll be able to buy the PE without the resin add ons? I'm just going to just scratch the "fans" underneath the grilles. Is anyone doing a complete PE set, with cockpit details and other doo-dads?
Yeah, I can do that. But... It will be cheaper to buy my resin bits compared to scratching 6x parts. The resin is the cheap part of the upgrade. All the cost is in the PE. To give you the numbers, the resin amounts to just over 6% of the cost (that includes the mold). Or, as a discount, that comes to a whopping $3.09. Can you build those parts for less?? And remember the TIME it will take as well... Just sayin'.:)

Yeah, I can do that. But... It will be cheaper to buy my resin bits compared to scratching 6x parts. The resin is the cheap part of the upgrade. All the cost is in the PE. To give you the numbers, the resin amounts to just over 6% of the cost (that includes the mold). Or, as a discount, that comes to a whopping $3.09. Can you build those parts for less?? And remember the TIME it will take as well... Just sayin'.:)

Good to know. I wasn't planning on anything fancy under the grilles -- just some scrap plastic bottles cut down, a couple roundish shapes from the spares box, a spritz of gray primer and call it a day.

You bring up an interesting point, though. I didn't know resin bits are so cheap. It makes one wonder about the mark-up some other people are charging on their resin upgrade parts. I doubt if another seller were offering similar resin inserts that they'd only charge $3.09.

You bring up an interesting point, though. I didn't know resin bits are so cheap. It makes one wonder about the mark-up some other people are charging on their resin upgrade parts. I doubt if another seller were offering similar resin inserts that they'd only charge $3.09.
It's not ALWAYS that cheap. I kept the costs down as much as possible. PE ain't cheap, so... And I did the math wrong. It's not 6%, but closer to 9%. Too early on a Monday morning to do math... So, that's still only $4.32. Now, I'll be honest, if I was selling JUST the resin parts, I would be charging more than that, something like $10. But with the PE, it's to keep the overall cost reasonable. While I do this to make money (it is in fact my day job (and nights, weekends, holidays...)), I really want to get these out there for people to enjoy.

Also remember that the price doesn't just reflect the cost of materials, but needs to include the labour involved as well. People sometimes complain about an add-on part costing $20 or something. While it would take them 4 hours to scratch it themselves.. So, at minimum wage (here in Ontario, Canada, that's $11/hr), plus materials... Well, that's MORE than $20. Plus, who gets it right the firt time anyways?? So, 2x 4 hours... :facepalm

It's not ALWAYS that cheap. I kept the costs down as much as possible.

I don't begrudge anyone making money. If it were me, I'd sell just the resin parts for $20 because it's selling the convenience of plug and play -- and because, I'll admit it, I'd charge what people are willing to pay. That's business.

My interest in the grilles is because that's not something I can manufacture myself (not for lack of trying). If I were concerned about the time it took to scratch something, I wouldn't be doing this hobby! :lol

It's not ALWAYS that cheap. I kept the costs down as much as possible. PE ain't cheap, so... And I did the math wrong. It's not 6%, but closer to 9%. Too early on a Monday morning to do math... So, that's still only $4.32. Now, I'll be honest, if I was selling JUST the resin parts, I would be charging more than that, something like $10. But with the PE, it's to keep the overall cost reasonable. While I do this to make money (it is in fact my day job (and nights, weekends, holidays...)), I really want to get these out there for people to enjoy.

Also remember that the price doesn't just reflect the cost of materials, but needs to include the labour involved as well. People sometimes complain about an add-on part costing $20 or something. While it would take them 4 hours to scratch it themselves.. So, at minimum wage (here in Ontario, Canada, that's $11/hr), plus materials... Well, that's MORE than $20. Plus, who gets it right the firt time anyways?? So, 2x 4 hours... :facepalm
Thanks for making these! Now get in that coal mine and start making em! :)

Just saw 7 more today.... too bad i didn't get another one while the price had dropped! :facepalm
Back to full price...

falcon.jpg

I have a plan, well maybe 12% of a plan.

Saw a frying pan protector in one of the pound shops, and thought the pattern was close enough to be the falcons grills, had to buy some tin snips to cut through them though, and my first go is not perfectly round.

IMG_20141215_190721_943[1].jpg IMG_20141215_190731_249[1].jpg

glunark you haven't been posting for a bit, inspiration grabbed you in the pound shop again eh.
Looks like your Chewie has been working on the vents, I agree with timmy though could do with some vertical lines, get Chewie back on it if he can find the time :)

Your falcon is going to be unique to say the least and I think you are having more fun than the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a bunch of stuff off amazon, which came on a slow boat from china, by the time it came I had got so used to not working on the falcon, its been hard to get back into it.

Plus wiring in all the fibre optics into the gunbay was hella tedious.

I think once christmas is out the way I can come back at this thing with a bit more vigour.

I ordered a bunch of stuff off amazon, which came on a slow boat from china, by the time it came I had got so used to not working on the falcon, its been hard to get back into it.

Plus wiring in all the fibre optics into the gunbay was hella tedious.

I think once christmas is out the way I can come back at this thing with a bit more vigour.

Yeah with all the parts I still have on order (and now shapeways says my order my be delayed) I will slow way down and pick up when I get everything :)

Btw Tony has added to Shapeways MILLENNIUM HSBRO ENGINE LOUVER ARM SET[/h]

Micro chisels have turned up so spent an hour chiseling the pipes from the rear port insert, so when I get some pipes in there, I will post my first pics. Quite enjoyed the process, so time to hit the rear deck and start removing those blobby moulded in pipes.
Ordered set of 20 Christmas tree lights in white. Whats the best approach to the engines? Spray the bulbs clear blue or leave them clear and put a blue sheet of see through plastic at the rear? I'm thinking the later is probably the way to go. What are you guys doing?

Micro chisels have turned up so spent an hour chiseling the pipes from the rear port insert, so when I get some pipes in there, I will post my first pics. Quite enjoyed the process, so time to hit the rear deck and start removing those blobby moulded in pipes.
Ordered set of 20 Christmas tree lights in white. Whats the best approach to the engines? Spray the bulbs clear blue or leave them clear and put a blue sheet of see through plastic at the rear? I'm thinking the later is probably the way to go. What are you guys doing?

Brilliant samster,.....looking forward to those photos,....I'd go for using blue gel filter from a lighting company etc
http://www.stagedepot.co.uk/lightin...ng-gel-sheet?gclid=CJvZ9aLszMICFSYUwwodVpoAEg

Its pretty cheap

J

Can you link to what micro chisels you used??

Thanks

Tom

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back