Thought's/Opinions on Toy Reworks

XSixxX

Jr Member
Hey Guys - I'm new to the Forum and would like a few opinions on Toy reworks. I'm an artist out of South FL, and recently tripped over the forum. I love this place, and all the creative people here. I'm in heaven.

I've never attempted to build a kit/scratch model of any sort when it came to props etc. Cars, planes etc sure.

My question is: Is there a general opinion on taking store bought toys and reworking them/painting them to maybe bring them to the more screen prop/model accurate status? Is it considered a No No, or frowned upon in the community? I thought this would give me a great basis for starting out, or trying my hand and repaints or sculpting etc. Is there a name for it?

Sorry if this a sore subject or topic tried searching on the forum search, but not much came up.

Thanks in advance -

Sixx :ninja

If you can get a toy that has pretty good proprtions and just needs the details and the paint tweeked, go for it. The trouble is that toy vehicles are usually weirdly proportioned to accomidate the action figures, which usually a toy line's bread and butter. The resulting vehicles therefore often have really bizzare proportions. That said, look around this board and you'll find some very nice conversions of the Slave I and an X-Wing that started life as the big Hasbro toys. If it's close enough to begin with, you can get some very nice results that way!

--Alex

I'm doing 3 toy conversions at the moment, so I can tell you a couple of things. Albertese is certainly right about the proportions issue, the majority of toys are going to have huge cockpits, simplified details and squashed overall proportions.

It's a mixed bag to be honest, Hasbro's Star Wars offerings in the last few years have been excellent, they still require a lot of work but they're great bases to start with if you know what you're doing. You may not have so much luck with older/more obscure toys though, the Thunderbirds toys from the 90s are very good; but I can't say much about any other lines. I've found that half the issues are trying to cover screw holes and forgetting that it still needs to be reassembled.

Check out PHArchivist's Hasbro X-Wing, that's pretty much the best conversion I've seen as far as X-Wings

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and also, toy conversions are held in high esteem on here from what I can tell. It takes a lot of dedication and skill to make a presentable conversion of many toys

I love seeing toy conversions. I'm currently working on a couple of conversions myself: The recent issues of Hasbro's Snowspeeder and Twin Pod Cloud Car. And, they seem to be sized accurately for the action figures that go with them. Plus, two words: recessed panel lines!

Go for it, many excellent transfos have been done here and the results are astounding. Lots of patience of course, but good base to start and get something better in the end.:cool

Okay. Well here's what I'm going to attempt to pull off. (Holds Breath) From what I've read/know it's the TF that caused Vader to crash. I've located some other references off Google, that I liked and am going to incorporate into the build. Personally in this instance I prefer not to do something 100% Screen Accurate and give this first one my own spin/touch. As I'm sure there were hundreds of wounded TF's in many battles this particular one I'm doing could be one of those. I'm plan on doing a nice simple base (7x7 or so) for it, perhaps with something relevant to the Death Star's surface or a Battle cruiser, with a acrylic pole holding it up as if it were in flight. If anyone has suggestions, thought's ideas I'm open and welcome them all. :D Original-T.I.E.-Fighter-Filming-Model.jpg

Haystack Hair - I was able to check out your Slave, Love it! PM me details on exactly which version it is. I may have to add that to the "To Do" List

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forums. As the others here have stated, doing toy reworks is okay depending on the toy. In fact, I think someone is currently doing a modification of the Millennium Falcon to turn into a replica of the filming model.

Last edited:
Check out the "Hasbro toy conversion" Thread. Some amazing work on there and a couple of TF's I believe as well as AT-ST's, AT-AT's and some incredible MF's.

For this conversion if you wish to start off with a toy you're going to need the Hasbro Legacy Collection large wing TIE Fighter. The wings are slightly oversized however but this ship was the first to feature a newly redesigned cockpit ball that closely matches the actual models. The only problem with this is that the canopy glass is tinted red and would need to be removed.

Good luck with your project and don't forget to keep us updated.

Okay. Well here's what I'm going to attempt to pull off. (Holds Breath) From what I've read/know it's the TF that caused Vader to crash. I've located some other references off Google, that I liked and am going to incorporate into the build. Personally in this instance I prefer not to do something 100% Screen Accurate and give this first one my own spin/touch. As I'm sure there were hundreds of wounded TF's in many battles this particular one I'm doing could be one of those. I'm plan on doing a nice simple base (7x7 or so) for it, perhaps with something relevant to the Death Star's surface or a Battle cruiser, with a acrylic pole holding it up as if it were in flight. If anyone has suggestions, thought's ideas I'm open and welcome them all. :D
View attachment 270301

Junk Pilot - Awesome, because that was the base I chose to use due to its size, overall look and detailing. I felt it would look best. Makes me feel good I'm at least already off to a good start. I'll be sure to keep everyone a breast as this is my first build and I'll be taking my time.

Great thing is being an artist already (as I'm sure most of you are in some form other than just doing builds) I'm very critical on my own work.

Appreciate the links as well guys. I already love this community and how helpful everyone is.

Sixx

People do it all the time. I have a Nerf pistol around here somewhere that I was going to convert into one of the Terra Nova pistols, but have not gotten around to it. If the show was still on I would be a lot more motivated.

NormanF - Nice to see a Fellow Floridian ;)

Seeing today's kinda yucky and rainy here in South Florida I decided to head on over to the Craft Store and pick up a few items I thought I'd need right off the back for the initial tear down. During some reading of the suggested threads; I noticed some use Bondo to fill holes/cracks etc. Would you suggest be one of, if not the best to fill holes/cracks etc? I got some self hardening clay for the moment. I'll see how this works, I have a feeling I'll be picking up some Bondo, along w a few other things as I tinker and get more into my build. ;) IMG_2958.JPG

You are probably thinking of Bondo glazing putty for cracks and holes. It comes in a tube and does not use a hardener.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

Ah! Just saw Homecine base he did. I like that. I was thinking something similar. May have to try to step that up a bit... I'm Think a clear Lexan/Acrylic pole for mine.

Ah! Just saw Homecine base he did. I like that. I was thinking something similar. May have to try to step that up a bit... I'm Think a clear Lexan/Acrylic pole for mine.
Thanks mate :) Currently I'm also working on a "Battle-Damaged" version/conversion of a Hasbro TIE-Fighter.
Check out my homepage ;)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back