Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I just went through all 145 pages... whew I think my eyes are bleeding!

You guys on here amaze me. So much so I am almost feeling unworthy! All I can say is if my effort turns out even a tenth as good as what I've seen you guys doing I'll be proud of it :)

Question about the cabin door...
I read how many of you talked about how the door in the movies is always open and in the kit the door on the back cabin wall is closed. Obviously with the way they did the lights and interior a passage way mod is out of the question, or at least not without some really major work. That said, has anyone thought about cutting the door out and then using a translucent back lit print to give the illusion of a passageway? Kind of like the printed insert you can put in the Galactica landing bay that uses forced perspective to make it look like it is a landing bay that extends way into the interior. With the size and limited visibility into the cabin anyway, I was just curious if anyone thinks this is plausible. I've also seem this done on some of the 350 scale Enterprise and even the smaller Voyager builds to make it look like there are rooms inside the windows.

Just an idea... was wondering what others think?

If I was doing the cockpit as it appears in the ANH interiors, I'd open the door and scratch build a partial hallway. Truthfully, there's very little to see through the door, so I'd really only build the back hallway wall and maybe part of the floor. It would definitely mean gouging out Bandai's support apparatus in the cockpit tube, but you kind of have to do that anyway to add in the big dent on the underside of the tube.

Well- there is a "cabin corridor" on shapeways made by Tony. Unfortunately for the FM falcon. But- as it is build in two half pipes it should fit . . . Though quiete expensive.
Great work unes. Absolutely. I also take oil colors for weathering and will use them for my "FM-modified-to-5-foot-falcon" as well.

If I was doing the cockpit as it appears in the ANH interiors, I'd open the door and scratch build a partial hallway. Truthfully, there's very little to see through the door, so I'd really only build the back hallway wall and maybe part of the floor. It would definitely mean gouging out Bandai's support apparatus in the cockpit tube, but you kind of have to do that anyway to add in the big dent on the underside of the tube.

Well- there is a "cabin corridor" on shapeways made by Tony. Unfortunately for the FM falcon. But- as it is build in two half pipes it should fit . . . Though quiete expensive.
Great work unes. Absolutely. I also take oil colors for weathering and will use them for my "FM-modified-to-5-foot-falcon" as well.

Should be pretty easy to scratch a corridor, the cockpit looks much better with an open door

J

I read how many of you talked about how the door in the movies is always open and in the kit the door on the back cabin wall is closed. Obviously with the way they did the lights and interior a passage way mod is out of the question, or at least not without some really major work. That said, has anyone thought about cutting the door out and then using a translucent back lit print to give the illusion of a passageway? Kind of like the printed insert you can put in the Galactica landing bay that uses forced perspective to make it look like it is a landing bay that extends way into the interior.

It's not that hard to remove all the structural posts and stuff from the inside of the corridor. It took me a minute with a sprue cutter. It's more work to build a decent looking corridor and floor - depends on how detailed you want to go.

I'm not sure that a backlit print would look particularly convincing, to be honest. You can see the cockpit back area from slightly different angles, and with a flat picture you don't get any parallax.

- nkg

(quote: nkg) I'm not sure that a backlit print would look particularly convincing, to be honest. You can see the cockpit back area from slightly different angles, and with a flat picture you don't get any parallax.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Now go wash your hands ...:)

I spend over an hour yesterda fishing fiber optics through TonyRR's backwall. I'm finding many of the holes are partially clogged even though I ordered the highest grade print. I'm nearing the point where I'm just going to put the decal on a piece of transparent plastic and backlight it, then later when the photoetch options become available I'll swap it out.

You probably already know this, did you wash the piece with all purpose cleaner, a soft tooth brush and warm water to clean the residue from the printing process?
I spend over an hour yesterda fishing fiber optics through TonyRR's backwall. I'm finding many of the holes are partially clogged even though I ordered the highest grade print. I'm nearing the point where I'm just going to put the decal on a piece of transparent plastic and backlight it, then later when the photoetch options become available I'll swap it out.

Hi everyone! I'm here to express my gratitude to the great master builders around, your art inspired me to take the challenge of rebuilding and upgrading my old AMT Falcon, using some photoetched parts and scratchbuilding many many others. Most of the times I have used your magnificent pics as reference for my build. Thank you for your efforts and for being so awesome!

DSC_3303.jpg

DSC_3305.jpg

DSC_3245.jpg

DSC_3246.jpg

Of Course, the AMT kit has limitations, even more in this case being the cutaway kit.

Good looking Falcon dude! I'm an MPC/AMT guy mostly myself...got a closet full. I see you have some good pieces on this one. Short walls? I did a cut away in 2016 and did short walls, but didn't have the good docking collars at the time, and did full fiber optics, man what a nerve racking time that was!
Hi everyone! I'm here to express my gratitude to the great master builders around, your art inspired me to take the challenge of rebuilding and upgrading my old AMT Falcon, using some photoetched parts and scratchbuilding many many others. Most of the times I have used your magnificent pics as reference for my build. Thank you for your efforts and for being so awesome!

http://preview.ibb.co/bQJfV7/DSC_3303.jpg

http://preview.ibb.co/gcmdHn/DSC_3305.jpg

http://preview.ibb.co/jCnkgS/DSC_3245.jpg

http://preview.ibb.co/kKuWMS/DSC_3246.jpg

Of Course, the AMT kit has limitations, even more in this case being the cutaway kit.

Good looking Falcon dude! I'm an MPC/AMT guy mostly myself...got a closet full. I see you have some good pieces on this one. Short walls? I did a cut away in 2016 and did short walls, but didn't have the good docking collars at the time, and did full fiber optics, man what a nerve racking time that was!

Mine has short sidewalls too, but not that short. The wrong curvature of the saucer plates would end in too low interiors, so my sidewalls are 1mm taller than they should be. I still have to do some "re-tubbing" on the bottom side of the mandibles, then some extra greeblies on the saucer sidewalls. With that done I will go for the interiors movie accuracy, but I'll post that in my own thread :D

Cool, let me know where and when for your thread. When I did mine I had cut the kit walls down and the interior walls was the head ache. Swore I'd never do another cut away...but I might some day, now that I know more. I've been using the HH Miniatures kit on these. I've done 5 so far, one all kit parts, 3 regulars and the one cut away. I still have like 5 regulars and 2 cut aways in the closet. now though, I'm getting ready to start the Bandai PG, and I also have a FM to do. My last MPC regular came out pretty good, I had ALL the upgrades available by that time.
Mine has short sidewalls too, but not that short. The wrong curvature of the saucer plates would end in too low interiors, so my sidewalls are 1mm taller than they should be. I still have to do some "re-tubbing" on the bottom side of the mandibles, then some extra greeblies on the saucer sidewalls. With that done I will go for the interiors movie accuracy, but I'll post that in my own thread :D

falcon 4 near done.JPGfalcon 5 final pic 1.jpgfalcon 5 final pic 2.jpgfirst pic is my cut away, wrong colors, crappy weathering, wrong docking collars, the list goes on. the second and third pic are my last regular kit with all the upgrade parts. I love building the MPC kit

Cool, let me know where and when for your thread. When I did mine I had cut the kit walls down and the interior walls was the head ache. Swore I'd never do another cut away...but I might some day, now that I know more. I've been using the HH Miniatures kit on these. I've done 5 so far, one all kit parts, 3 regulars and the one cut away. I still have like 5 regulars and 2 cut aways in the closet. now though, I'm getting ready to start the Bandai PG, and I also have a FM to do. My last MPC regular came out pretty good, I had ALL the upgrades available by that time.

My thread has been around for a while.... https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=281197

The only one kit I used has been MMI Photo Etched Grille Detail Set which comes with engine vents. The rest of the detail is from scratch. Maybe in the near future I'll get a proper sized antenna, maybe from shapeways.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 800423View attachment 800424View attachment 800425first pic is my cut away, wrong colors, crappy weathering, wrong docking collars, the list goes on. the second and third pic are my last regular kit with all the upgrade parts. I love building the MPC kit

That second falcon looks great an ellegant.

Thanks, I'm going to give it a look. I like seeing what others are doing. the dish, yep Shapeways, that's where that one came from. Tony is an awesome designer. Most of the Shapeways and HH Miniature stuff I've made silicone molds for so I could duplicate it for all these Falcons I intended to build. When I do one now, I only use about 30% of the kit parts and the rest is upgrade stuff.
My thread has been around for a while.... https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=281197

The only one kit I used has been MMI Photo Etched Grille Detail Set which comes with engine vents. The rest of the detail is from scratch. Maybe in the near future I'll get a proper sized antenna, maybe from shapeways.

- - - Updated - - -

That second falcon looks great an ellegant.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks buddy! I'm sure MPC didn't go too deep when retro-ing the interior stuff for the regular kit, right!?
Okay, that's impressive. I almost don't mind that there's no room for a gun turret well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back