Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
[video=vimeo;252417024]https://vimeo.com/252417024[/video]
Footage from Rian Johnson of 50-time Oscar nominee John Williams recording the opening of the Oscar nominated Star Wars The Last Jedi. The footage was shot December 2016 - over a year prior to the release of the film. I wonder if the scroll on the monitor is the actual movie scroll or just a placeholder.

A few more tidbits some might find interesting...

Director Series: Rian Johnson – Star Wars: The Last Jedi - doing obvious damage control /conspiracy theory :D

Star Wars’ Kylo Ren has been voted the seventh greatest movie villain ever

I thought this was touching... especially seeing that firefighters transported him to the theater.
Veteran gets private ‘Star Wars’ screening on deathbedThe family of 69-year-old Ron Villemaire, a self-described “Star Wars” junkie from New Hampshire, says he died on Monday.

Darth Vader and Chewbacca visited Villemaire last month before firefighters transported him to a movie theater where a hospital bed was set up for him.

https://vimeo.com/252417024
Footage from Rian Johnson of 50-time Oscar nominee John Williams recording the opening of the Oscar nominated Star Wars The Last Jedi. The footage was shot December 2016 - over a year prior to the release of the film. I wonder if the scroll on the monitor is the actual movie scroll or just a placeholder.

A few more tidbits some might find interesting...

Director Series: Rian Johnson – Star Wars: The Last Jedi - doing obvious damage control /conspiracy theory :D

Star Wars’ Kylo Ren has been voted the seventh greatest movie villain ever

I thought this was touching... especially seeing that firefighters transported him to the theater.
Veteran gets private ‘Star Wars’ screening on deathbedThe family of 69-year-old Ron Villemaire, a self-described “Star Wars” junkie from New Hampshire, says he died on Monday.

Darth Vader and Chewbacca visited Villemaire last month before firefighters transported him to a movie theater where a hospital bed was set up for him.

RJ, needing to explain anything, is damage control.. no matter how you look at it. Steven Spielberg, Steven King, JRR Tolkien. Gene Roddenberry, John Grisham, Nicholas Sparks, JK Rowling... etc etc etc.. never had to explain.

Yes very interesting. Kylo #7? JD I know you cant even agree to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
RJ, needing to explain anything, is damage control.. no matter how you look at it. Steven Spielberg, Steven King, JRR Tolkien. Gene Roddenberry, John Grisham, Nicholas Sparks, JK Rowling... etc etc etc.. never had to explain.

Yes very interesting. Kylo #7? @JD I know you cant even agree to that.
We will see more damage control from Rian and Disney as the movie approaches home video release. Because I think they know that sales are going to sharply drop there... who wants to own this movie? And if I were a betting man I would say that his trilogy will never get made. I fell for it at the time, when the announcement was made I was saying to friends, "Damn, episode VIII must be amazing if they are greenlighting 3 more movies!" Now I can kind of see that this was the intended effect. Why announce them this far out when we are still waiting for a Solo teaser?

As far as Kylo, that's just a total joke. "Can you see my surroundings? I can't see yours." The lines are bad enough, but his dopey deep voice brings it all together. I can admit he's a good actor, but he makes a terrible villain.

We will see more damage control from Rian and Disney as the movie approaches home video release. Because I think they know that sales are going to sharply drop there... who wants to own this movie? And if I were a betting man I would say that his trilogy will never get made. I fell for it at the time, when the announcement was made I was saying to friends, "Damn, episode VIII must be amazing if they are greenlighting 3 more movies!" Now I can kind of see that this was the intended effect. Why announce them this far out when we are still waiting for a Solo teaser?

As far as Kylo, that's just a total joke. "Can you see my surroundings? I can't see yours." The lines are bad enough, but his dopey deep voice brings it all together. I can admit he's a good actor, but he makes a terrible villain.

Damage control should be this movies middle name. Everything from Hamill rejecting the character and thinking of it as "Jake Skywalker", to all the softball interviews, to RJ constantly defending himself on twitter.

It must have been mentally wearing for Hamill to have to work around the character like that, just so he could get out the lines and play the part. RJ really flopped in that regard.

I am shocked they are going to give this guy a trilogy. Although, I would not be surprised if they suddenly found a group of collaborators/directors for him. You know...to "help" out. And I also wonder if they hired JJ and announced he has part 9 as soon as they did to try and alleviate the backlash. In case part 8 fails, at least JJ will take the reigns again for part 9 kind of a thing.

I have to admit, Adam Driver/Kylo Ren and his light/dark struggle is the only thing I'm looking forward to now. Ridley is charming, but Rey is a boring character who does not struggle at all. And it's not interesting watching someone get into trouble and then instantly out of trouble.

I hope JJ can try and fix this mess and make a movie at least a competent as TFA.

There's the ignore button, bub. I've been insulted more times than I care to count - the personal attacks started by others here (you get this kinda BS that some opt to continue). Some folks will think posts are about them (and I wrote this prior my below reply) - but, more often than not, it's not. There's been a recent surge of ridiculousness posted here recently (and generally most of it isn't getting a direct reply from me)...

Now see, this could go under the general idea of "conspiracy theories." :lol Blanket statements that suggest some ulterior motive. They've already grossed over $4 billion at the box office. Whether or not Han and Luke were killed "unceremoniously" could be debatable (I think they both went out with a great deal of grandeur).

Is Disney doing whatever they can to make the most money? Disney is a ginormous company that's the doing the best they can to protect and grow their properties. These are long term investments and they're not going to do resort to gimmicks for a quick buck. To suggest they don't care about these characters and all that Star Wars encompasses is just nonsense... continuing Star Wars means they must care for it - they must nurture it.

re ; the 3rd paragraph - wondering if Disney wasn’t resorting to gimmicks regarding how they insisted the US movie theatres were ‘ handled ‘ with screenings of their film , or the ‘ licensing ‘ fiasco with model kit manufacturers Revell vs Bandai , and distribution malarkey ?

- they must care for it , must nurture it ... as a some would , protecting yet another money tree . :sick

Last edited:
I find it a little funny when it's said that people hope JJ Abrams cleans up the mess that was made with Episode 8 when they forget this about TLJ:

jj.PNG

re ; the 3rd paragraph - wondering if Disney wasn’t resorting to gimmicks regarding how they insisted the US movie theatres were ‘ handled ‘ with screenings of their film , or the ‘ licensing ‘ fiasco with model kit manufacturers Revell vs Bandai , and distribution malarkey ?

- they must care for it , must nurture it ... as a some would , protecting yet another money tree . :sick
You might be thinking of a gimmick (or here) in a different way than I am - although I guess, arguably, what you're saying does fit into the definition. It's a business tactic they are using for sure... is it deceitful or concealed? I'd argue that it's not, but I can understand your point.

I think I've realised the central flaw of TLJ for me.

I didn't feel the story showed the characters earning anything.

Rey doesn't earn her powers.
Luke doesn't earn his exile.
Poe doesn't earn being the leader in waiting.
Holdo doesn't earn her martyrdom.
Rose doesn't earn her screen time.
Kylo doesn't earn his throne.
Hux doesn't earn our fear of him.
Yoda doesn't earn his physical world interaction.

Finn is the only one who almost earns his self sacrifice - but no.
And that is why I don't care what happens in the next instalment :(

******'s sake, I laughed out loud in the office...:lol
Erre iszunk egy fröccsöt. ;)

Yep. Wheelspinning and nothing earned, nothing learned, nothing progresses really and nothing is set up.

yeah proper "Star Bores" (sure that was what Mad Magazine called it!)

There's the ignore button, bub. I've been insulted more times than I care to count - the personal attacks started by others here (you get this kinda BS that some opt to continue). Some folks will think posts are about them (and I wrote this prior my below reply) - but, more often than not, it's not. There's been a recent surge of ridiculousness posted here recently (and generally most of it isn't getting a direct reply from me)...

Now see, this could go under the general idea of "conspiracy theories." :lol Blanket statements that suggest some ulterior motive. They've already grossed over $4 billion at the box office. Whether or not Han and Luke were killed "unceremoniously" could be debatable (I think they both went out with a great deal of grandeur).

Is Disney doing whatever they can to make the most money? Disney is a ginormous company that's the doing the best they can to protect and grow their properties. These are long term investments and they're not going to do resort to gimmicks for a quick buck. To suggest they don't care about these characters and all that Star Wars encompasses is just nonsense... continuing Star Wars means they must care for it - they must nurture it.
I wish the ignore button was good enough, but its not. So lets just leave it at that.

See, thats what Im talking about. Youre SO condescending. Disney is a corporation. Their ONLY aim is to make money and please shareholders. Thats it. Maybe before when Walt and Roy were alive it was something different, but now? Hell no. Its a money printing machine, and they do everything they can to keep that money flowing. You even said your self its an investment. And why do you make monetary investments? To see a profit! What I was saying was a hypothetical anyway, in this biz, nobody knows anything. And I get why you want to think that way, because youre a nerd like the rest of us and you liked this movie, but cmon man. Besides, if they cared about the characters from the ST, they wouldnt have Rian be making 3 movies that has nothing to do with them. Star Wars is a more of a brand now than it ever was.

I wish the ignore button was good enough, but its not. So lets just leave it at that.

See, thats what Im talking about. Youre SO condescending. Disney is a corporation. Their ONLY aim is to make money and please shareholders. Thats it. Maybe before when Walt and Roy were alive it was something different, but now? Hell no. Its a money printing machine, and they do everything they can to keep that money flowing. You even said your self its an investment. And why do you make monetary investments? To see a profit! What I was saying was a hypothetical anyway, in this biz, nobody knows anything. And I get why you want to think that way, because youre a nerd like the rest of us and you liked this movie, but cmon man. Besides, if they cared about the characters from the ST, they wouldnt have Rian be making 3 movies that has nothing to do with them. Star Wars is a more of a brand now than it ever was.

Unfortunately there are some very precious and naive members here that just don't understand how the world works.

For instance, Bryancd believes that LF would never release a 4K remastered OOT because of loyalty to George Lucas and his wishes..

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=283584&page=6&p=4369419&viewfull=1#post4369419

Never mind the fact that she claimed he was the "keeper of the flame", gave him a creative consultant position, and then tossed him and his scripts for 7-9 out the airlock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately there are some very precious and naive members here that just don't understand how the world works.

For instance, @Bryancd believes that LF would never release a 4K remastered OOT because of loyalty to George Lucas and his wishes..

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=283584&page=6&p=4369419&viewfull=1#post4369419

Never mind the fact that she claimed he was the "keeper of the flame", gave him a creative consultant position, and then tossed him and his scripts for 7-9 out the airlock.

To be accurate, that was one of many reasons I put forth and this was low on tat totem pole. It’s more about the addressable market related to cost.

To be fair, none of us really know how that played out. In the Charlie Rose/Lucas interview, George likened it to a divorce. Apparently, LF was willing to keep him on board as a consultant even after rejecting his script ideas, but he chose to walk away. He says that he felt if he stayed around, that he would only muck things up and be in the way. That's only his side of the story. What really happened will probably never be answered.

Producers don't make the movie in that way. RJ wrote and directed. He is the most responsible for how the story turned out.

Very true, but aren't executive producers like the Director's boss who get to have a say whether they like something being done or not? Yes, Johnson did write and direct this, but the producers must have approved on where he was going with it to sign off on it. Isn't that what got the Directors of "Solo" let go was for that very reason that they didn't like how it was creatively being handled?

Very true, but aren't executive producers like the Director's boss who get to have a say whether they like something being done or not? Yes, Johnson did write and direct this, but the producers must have approved on where he was going with it to sign off on it. Isn't that what got the Directors of "Solo" let go was for that very reason that they didn't like how it was creatively being handled?

Yes, it's incredibly naive to suggest JJ was not aware of exactly what Rian was putting together and seemed very excited by the direction he was taking. In regards to Solo there is likely one man who initiated the firing of Lord and Miller: Lawrence Kasdan. Solo is his story and if he was unhappy with the tone of the Lord and Miller dailies he was seeing he has sufficient clout to go to KK and ask for a change.

To be accurate, that was one of many reasons I put forth and this was low on tat totem pole. It’s more about the addressable market related to cost.

The cost was addressed when I posted the article about Gareth Edwards watching a 4K ANH. It's apparently cheap enough that they can just make them for the production to take notes. And it costs Disney pocket change to release discs. And I still wholly reject the idea that the market is so small that is not worth it. Luke-backlash proves there is a large portion of the SW fanship that prefers the originals.

Also, JJ is getting paid big time for his participation. He has a huge financial interest, millions. It's more naive to believe that he'd risk his honeypot with criticism if he did not like what he saw.

I'm reminded of Indy 4. Shia was very critical of the whole affair and told a story about how Spielberg sat him down one day and said "There's a time to be a human being and have an opinion, and there's a time to sell cars."

JJ is selling cars.

@tcsmit29
It could play out any number of ways. The point is that it's naive and trusting to believe that they would not do it just because of loyalty to George's SE versions. Especially when they legally could not at the time she said that due to Fox holding the rights.

@niennumb1
I'm sure there is some overlap and RJ would probably be receptive to what JJ is saying. But overall a producer is more like a manager coordinator. And RJ factually has the writing credit. What happened to Lord and Miller is kind of unusual. I'm not sure it's the best example of how things normally work. Also, no matter what. Whoever holds all the money has the ultimate say at the end of the day. That's not JJ. He's getting paid like everyone else.

The cost was addressed when I posted the article about Gareth Edwards watching a 4K ANH. It's apparently cheap enough that they can just make them for the production to take notes. And it costs Disney pocket change to release discs. And I still wholly reject the idea that the market is so small that is not worth it. Luke-backlash proves there is a large portion of the SW fanship that prefers the originals.

Also, JJ is getting paid big time for his participation. He has a huge financial interest, millions. It's more naive to believe that he'd risk his honeypot with criticism if he did not like what he saw.

I'm reminded of Indy 4. Shia was very critical of the whole affair and told a story about how Spielberg sat him down one day and said "There's a time to be a human being and have an opinion, and there's a time to sell cars."

JJ is selling cars.

@tcsmit29
It could play out any number of ways. The point is that it's naive and trusting to believe that they would not do it just because of loyalty to George's SE versions. Especially when they legally could not at the time she said that due to Fox holding the rights.

@niennumb1
I'm sure there is some overlap and RJ would probably be receptive to what JJ is saying. But overall a producer is more like a manager coordinator. And RJ factually has the writing credit. What happened to Lord and Miller is kind of unusual. I'm not sure it's the best example of how things normally work. Also, no matter what. Whoever holds all the money has the ultimate say at the end of the day. That's not JJ. He's getting paid like everyone else.

Yeah, you need to go back and read that thread in regards to that 4K version, better to be informed then to suggest others aren't.

Difference Between Producer And Executive Producer

1. The executive producer is usually a more famous figure than the producer.
2. The executive producer is usually the head of the film company or just an honorary title given to someone who has great contributions to the project.
3. The producer is more hands-on with the entire production from start to finish.
4. The executive producer is usually not that involved in the technical matters of the project unlike the producer.
5. The executive producer is the business head of the project.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back