Throne of Games Weekend Build

Illgotten

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My Daughter came to me a couple of weeks ago and showed me a pic of a chair that had bookshelves built into and all around it (see attached pic). Bookworm Chair.jpg
She asked if I would build her one like that but she wanted it to hold and display her video games. That spawned my spoof idea for the Game of Thrones turned Throne of Games. I gave myself the weekend to see what I could get done. The following is some WIP pics and finished result. Hope you enjoy!

My original sketch while showing my idea to my daughter.
IMG_4304.JPG
Hmmm how to straighten these pictures out? Anyone?

Next, I sketched up more detailed drawings to help me get a feel for what it will take to build it.
IMG_4356.JPG

I have some old arcade joysticks and buttons I decided to add for fun.
IMG_4353.JPG

After a trip to the hardware store I start building. I did a basic 2x4 frame with and MDF top. Cut, glued, and nailed together the armrests and cut out the holes for the joysticks and buttons. I test fit them and sandwiched it all together for my first peak of what it will be. Patio cushions were on clearance so I grabbed one with the intent of recovering it to use for the throne.
IMG_4358.JPG

I cut out glue and screw the back on. I decided to ditch the back cushion and added some small leg flares at the base as well.
IMG_4361.JPG

My first attempt at sewing turned out ok. Seat cushion is re-upholstered and I added larger leg flares. That looks much better. .
IMG_4373.JPG
I think it's time to sand it and slap some paint on it.

Two coats of primer.
IMG_4375.JPG

I also have to figure out how I am going to get all of the games to stick to this throne. The games need to be easily removed without getting damaged. Elastic looks like it will do the trick!
IMG_4367.JPG

I can't leave the under-seat part open so I design a logo that I will have my brother laser cut out of steel at his shop. Here is the design I settle on.
View attachment IMG_4374.JPG

Thank goodness this project fell on a 3 day weekend.I have one day left to finish and I need it. To be continued next post.

Attachments

• IMG_4304.JPG
    IMG_4304.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_4359.JPG
    IMG_4359.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 188
I add 2 coats of flat black then dry brush on a metallic paint to highlight the chips, dings and scratches I added right before painting.
IMG_4376.JPG
IMG_4377.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG
IMG_4382.JPG
IMG_4384.JPG

My brother gets home with the sign. I glue on a semi-opaque plexi, screw it into place. Add a little 12V LED light strip I had laying around and this throne is ready load up with games!
IMG_4389.JPGIMG_4388.JPG

About 2am Tuesday morning I finally finish. My daughter has her chair, and I had fun!
IMG_4398.JPG
IMG_4427.JPGIMG_4404.JPG

Last edited:
G’day ,

Looks like a good family bonding project . Thanks for sharing , but your attachments in post #2 aren’t accessible ?

Cheers Ged

Thanks for catching that Ged. Not sure what when wrong. Newbie mistake I guess. I re-downloaded the images and it seems to have worked right this time. Irritating that so many came out sideways though. *shrugs* oh well.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back