"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

First thing I saw with Picardo in it.

13814-5897.jpg

I always remember Robert Picardo from his days on China Beach as Dr. Dick Richard. For some reason people always seem to forget that role and I'm still waiting for that show to come on DVD or streaming.

I always remember Robert Picardo from his days on China Beach as Dr. Dick Richard. For some reason people always seem to forget that role and I'm still waiting for that show to come on DVD or streaming.

That's why I download every show I watch so that I have a copy regardless of what Hollywood does. When they put it out on DVD or Bluray, I will replace it if it was worthwhile. There are some shows, even recent shows, that have never come out on DVD, like the Bones spinoff The Finder. Not available. Well, I have my copy that I can watch whenever I want and when they finally release it, if they ever release it, I will happily hand over money for it. It was worth it, unlike other shows that I won't name.

Dr Finn's son, Marcus: Can we help?
Isaac: No. You are small and feeble. And you do not possess the necessary intelligence.

Isaac: Lieutenant, if I may make an observation. You seem ill suited to perform your assigned duties.
John: Yeah that's what I tried to tell Commander Grayson.
Isaac: Then why did she place you in command?
John: She says it's cause I'm smart.
Isaac: I would be happy to inform her that you are not.

Bwahahahahahaha!!! Fantastic!!!

I really liked this episode. Ed learned a lot about himself, we got further confirmation that Kelly is still in love with Ed, Isaac had some great lines...and we got to see John step up and take center stage for an episode. I love that he got a promotion, and I also love that we learned he's really, really intelligent...despite the fact that he hasn't really acted like it at all.

I also really got my mind churning thinking about a two dimensional civilization. That was a really interesting plot idea.

Last edited:
The 2-D universe could have been done better.
They shouldn't have been 3-D in a 2-D universe.
They missed a real opportunity there to do some really fun photo-collage animation.
Otherwise, good episode.
I like this goofy show.

The 2-D universe could have been done better.
They shouldn't have been 3-D in a 2-D universe.
They missed a real opportunity there to do some really fun photo-collage animation.
Otherwise, good episode.
I like this goofy show.

I think the 2D space scenes were meant to be an homage to the dream sequences in Explorers.

I disliked the way the other Techs treated Yaphit, when it was his idea that made Lt. *******'s plan work.

Yaphit could torpedo Lt. *******'s promotion quite easily. All he has to do is press charges.

David.

I disliked the way the other Techs treated Yaphit, when it was his idea that made Lt. *******'s plan work.

Yaphit could torpedo Lt. *******'s promotion quite easily. All he has to do is press charges.

David.

And John put them in their place for doing so, which was the point that we, as viewers, knew that he was in fact the right guy for the job.

Based on Isaac's reaction to that exchange it wasn't only us as viewers that realized it right then, as he clearly noticed how John had handled the situation.

And John put them in their place for doing so, which was the point that we, as viewers, knew that he was in fact the right guy for the job.

Based on Isaac's reaction to that exchange it wasn't only us as viewers that realized it right then, as he clearly noticed how John had handled the situation.

It was Lt. *******'s plan, not Yaphit's. Yaphit was just the one with the smarts to make it work. If anything I took the scene to show that he was feeling guilty for Yaphit taking the heat for the glitches in HIS plan.

Worst of all, it was a clumsily written scene that made no sense, except it was suppose to show Lt. *******'s in a good light. To me it failed, maybe because the actor isn't skilled enough, or because he may have been given poor direction, or because it was a badly written scene.

But for the most part, a pretty decent episode.

David.

I am anxiously awaiting the inevitable episodes with the following tropes that were used many times over by TNG/DS9/VOY:

-- the holodeck malfunctions / traps them
-- incorporeal aliens take over their bodies
-- the captain is kidnapped and/or imprisoned and has to either face down, or work together with an enemy captain (and is potentially replaced on the ship with a double)
-- evil/good twins
-- the groundhog's day style time loop
-- the space/time reset button
-- the time travel to our era/past episode

What this show needs in the second season is a good foil for Ed. We need a Q, or Dukat, or Borg Queen-- some re-occuring villain for them to but heads with repeatedly.

Last edited:
When the ship was plowing through all that 2-dimensional space, wouldn't they have been killing thousands of 2D beings?

When they first entered 2D space, notice the little tip of the hat to original TRON music?

When the ship was plowing through all that 2-dimensional space, wouldn't they have been killing thousands of 2D beings?

When they first entered 2D space, notice the little tip of the hat to original TRON music?

They didn;t say anything about killing the 2D beings but they did mention that they wouldn't even notice them so I took that to mean they were not doing any damage.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back