Ralph McQuarrie Concept Lightsaber for 3D Print - finished and chromed!

Took a crack at modeling the grips. I must have made them too big, since the count is off. I'll try again later.

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 11.17.06 PM.png

This is awesome! I started to model one myself after I picked up the McQuarrie book. I'm interested to see how you handle the assembly. Are you thinking multiple parts or a single print?

Nice work thus far.

I think that the section of the main grip that sticks out, just behind the emitter, would be the activation switch.

The lightsaber only works when you press that section flush to the entire part, like the grip safety on a Colt 1911.

Nice work thus far.

I think that the section of the main grip that sticks out, just behind the emitter, would be the activation switch.

The lightsaber only works when you press that section flush to the entire part, like the grip safety on a Colt 1911.
That would explain the lightsaber turning off when dropped. That always kind of bugged me.

Sent by the Tapatalk Ferrets

This is awesome! I started to model one myself after I picked up the McQuarrie book. I'm interested to see how you handle the assembly. Are you thinking multiple parts or a single print?
I want to print it in pieces. My printer isn't that big, and I'll get better results that way. I'd be curious to see how your model turns out.

Love this, wish someone could get these machined!
Hey, I'd absolutely be open to it if someone had the know how/equipment to make that happen.

I think that the section of the main grip that sticks out, just behind the emitter, would be the activation switch. The lightsaber only works when you press that section flush to the entire part, like the grip safety on a Colt 1911.
That's what I was thinking, too. I'm not sure how effectively I can pull it off, but we'll see.

Hey ChickenHaunt, nice work so far. I see one thing that's off between your rendering and the drawing: at the bottom right of the numbered drawing, where 42 and 26 are, you seem to have deleted the angle where 26 is pointing to and have made the angle opposite it lean too far towards the end of the hilt.
mgoob That 1911 safety idea is spectacular!

Keep at it CH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, gang, here appears to be the correct sizing of the grips. I've also modeled in some depth in the emitter and a bit of detail on the "button/safety." I figured a little extra dimension in areas that wouldn't be seen from the single view supplied would be sensible.
Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 11.52.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-27 at 11.52.30 PM.png

Now to figure out how to get that button functional!

I like it! I feel like the emitter detail should be a little deeper set, though. I dunno. I'd play around with a few different designs.

Love the activation switch!!

Okay, gang, here appears to be the correct sizing of the grips. I've also modeled in some depth in the emitter and a bit of detail on the "button/safety." I figured a little extra dimension in areas that wouldn't be seen from the single view supplied would be sensible.
View attachment 694272View attachment 694271

Now to figure out how to get that button functional!
I've been thinking about the button. If you make the button wedge shaped with tabs so it doesn't just pop out then a small spring or piece of sprung steel to keep the tension.

I'd model it but won't be home from holidays for another week.

Hope that helps and Happy New Year!

Sent by the Tapatalk Ferrets

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back