The Wanhao Duplicator i3 v2 is awesome!
-Using it to print several Iron Man parts
-Large build volume
-Very sturdy/Powder coated Steel frame
-Prints details 0.1mm
-Lots of upgrades available
-Great user groups for support
...and best of all it's only $399.
does it have a build volume lager or at least 9 inches and does the print bed have auto leveling ?

It's exactly like learning a foreign language:

- It's easy to learn to say "hello" and count from 1 to 10.
- It takes a lot of effort and commitment to learn how to write a good poem in a foreign language.
- After 10000 hours, you'll know everything there is to know.

^ what is your comment in reference too?

About the 'money' the post you quoted mentions?

Or about the learning curve of the TAZ5 3D printer?

If the later... what obstacles are you saying it has over any other 3D printer out there? (whats the difference in learning curve here vs another brand then?)

If the former... 'huh'?

does it have a build volume lager or at least 9 inches and does the print bed have auto leveling ?

Build volume is approx 8x8x8"
No self leveling. Manual leveling takes about 5 minutes...

There are upgrades to allow you to enlarge the build volume to like 8x8x20+"

It's a great printer for the money. Prints every bit as well as a $1500+ printer...

Or about the learning curve of the TAZ5 3D printer?

There is a learning curve just like anything but if you are handy with computers it's not a big deal. I'm around if you have any questions. I did have an issue with it out of the box but the folks there replaced the part and it's been running like a champ for the last 5 months without a hiccup. The machine is not the hard thing to get the hang of. It's figuring out 3D printing in general and discovering what works and what doesn't through trial and error. For example, I found that the factory settings for PLA are not that great for some things and the prints turn out better if I dial the temperatures back. That kind of thing you can only figure out the hard way or if some one shows you.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the folger tech 2020 i3. I would like to stay below $500

That's a great printer! Also check out the Monoprice Maker Select. It's the same type of printer as the one from FolgerTech, but it's got a strong frame and works out of the box.

Update - It's only $350

Last edited:
Build volume is approx 8x8x8"
No self leveling. Manual leveling takes about 5 minutes...

There are upgrades to allow you to enlarge the build volume to like 8x8x20+"

It's a great printer for the money. Prints every bit as well as a $1500+ printer...

Any ideas on the price for the print bed upgrade or where to get it from?

The quote went one post too high. My comment was on the ease of making 3D models. My apologies to anyone who was confused.

I just bought that printer and finished putting it together last night. Assembly was fairly simple and straight forward and it appears to be of reasonable build quality. I am having an issue where the hot bed and extruder aren't getting hot and the extruder stepper motor won't pull the filament. Haven't yet had a chance to diagnose the issue to see if it's a problem with the main board or a loose connection somewhere. I did run a dry print simulation and it ran through the process so...

Did you figure out what the problem was?

Did you figure out what the problem was?

I guess I forgot to follow up... Yes, it was just the connection of the thermistor wires had slid out from where they connect to that wiring harness. I soldered them together and everything is working fine. I've only had a little bit of print time on it so far but everything seems good. Because of the design of the printer it does require quite a bit of attention to ensure everything is level and ensuring that the z axis limit switch is properly placed. I ran it all last night with a part and it seems to be doing great though!

I guess I forgot to follow up... Yes, it was just the connection of the thermistor wires had slid out from where they connect to that wiring harness. I soldered them together and everything is working fine. I've only had a little bit of print time on it so far but everything seems good. Because of the design of the printer it does require quite a bit of attention to ensure everything is level and ensuring that the z axis limit switch is properly placed. I ran it all last night with a part and it seems to be doing great though!
Could you post some pictures of some stuff you print

Could you post some pictures of some stuff you print

This is the top portion of a Spiderman face shell. It's the only piece I haven't thrown in the trash. Everything I've done up to this has just been to dial it in and was no more than a couple layers thick. The textures on the outside of this piece are actually part of the 3d model so it does do a clean line. I don't remember my layer height settings on this print but I wasn't really concerned with quality as it will get sanded smooth and under spandex. When I start on my iron man suit I also will not worry about the quality much as body filling is pretty much required when gluing smaller pieces together regardless. I've done automotive body work for years too so I'm pretty proficient with body filler.
dc441be16728adb6fc9604a5b38389fe.jpg

This is the top portion of a Spiderman face shell. It's the only piece I haven't thrown in the trash. Everything I've done up to this has just been to dial it in and was no more than a couple layers thick. The textures on the outside of this piece are actually part of the 3d model so it does do a clean line. I don't remember my layer height settings on this print but I wasn't really concerned with quality as it will get sanded smooth and under spandex. When I start on my iron man suit I also will not worry about the quality much as body filling is pretty much required when gluing smaller pieces together regardless. I've done automotive body work for years too so I'm pretty proficient with body filler.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160519/dc441be16728adb6fc9604a5b38389fe.jpg

What is the rubber band for on the nozzle?

What is the rubber band for on the nozzle?

It was just hanging a bit low with the position of the extruder. Instead of tweaking the extruder and resetting the z limit switch and readjusting the bed I felt like doing some printing. It works... The truth is these things are much more forgiving than some people act. Ultimately it's the bed to extruder tolerance at all four corners is what you are aiming for. Once the first layer actually "sticks" everything else should stay parallel with the first layer. Aside from the obvious things like an outstanding ledge without supports, it just works. Right now my temperatures are 210 on the extruder and 70 on the bed.

It was just hanging a bit low with the position of the extruder. Instead of tweaking the extruder and resetting the z limit switch and readjusting the bed I felt like doing some printing. It works... The truth is these things are much more forgiving than some people act. Ultimately it's the bed to extruder tolerance at all four corners is what you are aiming for. Once the first layer actually "sticks" everything else should stay parallel with the first layer. Aside from the obvious things like an outstanding ledge without supports, it just works. Right now my temperatures are 210 on the extruder and 70 on the bed.

Ok thanks

The Wanhao Duplicator i3 v2 is awesome!
-Using it to print several Iron Man parts
-Large build volume
-Very sturdy/Powder coated Steel frame
-Prints details 0.1mm
-Lots of upgrades available
-Great user groups for support
...and best of all it's only $399.

As someone who is interested in building Iron Man suits, this is definitely something up my alley. Do you make the 3D models yourself? Or is there a good support community that you can download models from?

As someone who is interested in building Iron Man suits, this is definitely something up my alley. Do you make the 3D models yourself? Or is there a good support community that you can download models from?

Yes, I make my own 3D models, but there are plenty of sources for models if you only want to download and print. As for support, there is a great group on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WanhaoDi3

**Also, FB members receive a discount over at: http://www.u3dps.com/

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back