The thin-necked lightsaber appreciation society

Oh the transistors are easy. That's like a 10 second job, but one that makes it look 100% better.
Here's mine on my real GRAFLEX clamp.
View attachment 758768

It's your lightsaber (& buddy is it ever gorgeous), you do what you need to make it how you like it.

What I planned to do to attach the transistors on my saber was to drill out the back of the transistor and then glue a screw inside it. Since my spacer under the clamp isn't solid, this will allow me to attach them with a simple locking nut. I just haven't got around to doing it yet because quite frankly, I don't enjoy doing this kind of stuff. I'm more of a collector than a builder.

I'm using the Romans spacer, it has a groove in it, so there's just enough room for simply bending the transistor wires to be flayed out. Once I get all the parts, I might glue them down from the back of the clamp. I also have a Spirit of Obi-Wan reveal chamber. I'll add that too, for a little something special, when it's all done.

I used bent wires and I JB welded the washers into place. (after grinding them a bit to fort of fit the radius)

Since the washers were stuck in place, the transistors sat more securely.

I wanted to start a general thin-neck saber appreciation thread since I think the design is so cool! The idea is that folks can post pictures and discuss their own replicas, other sabersmith's creations, the screen used sabers, and other non-canon designs. Anything goes as long as it's thin-neck oriented.

To start, here are some pics of my personal collection.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170403/17e9ded4b152c98f29c50de0623a2090.jpg
From left to right we have:
Roman's Obi-Wan hero in the Tattooine configuration (upside down pommel cubes, both transistors have washers, the brass above the windvane is tarnished and not shiny)
Starkiller unibody V2 painted up as an ANH-era Obi-Wan stunt. Roman's empire replica clamp with Wannawanga bubbles and lever.
Starkiller 3 piece V2 with Roman clamp and d ring. I got the card on a whim from some ebay seller that I can't remember.
Spirit of OB1 shared stunt. The clamp is a logoless replica from TCSS, but the logo is covered with tape so it doesn't matter.
Nicksdad ROTJ hero. The neck is painted dirty brass (which I strongly feel is more accurate) as opposed to copper.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170403/89b6cba39cfa55e2b9f9ee050a9e351b.jpg
On top is a Roman's Empire Obi ROTS saber. The TPM Obi (Korbanth) and Qui-Gon (one replicas) get honorable mentions because they have elements of the thin-neck style.

One non-canon design that I absolutely love is the Big Boy by Turkish company Saberkraft. It's a really cool, stylized take on the thin-neck motif
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170403/3bfbcfb53c651e81114084c463d6590e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170403/86758e9f93e7012929698e267b3daf14.jpg

I don't own one, but I saw a vid by Shameem of one of his electronics installs and I thought it was just so neat.

I'm also intrigued by the upcoming Korbanth LS6 design with the Crystal chamber reveal.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170403/7d0e95e70081b5010ba07c990ddc9bab.jpg
The saber has elements of the hero, V2, and shared stunt. I think it could be a cool basis for an idealized hybrid saber. For some reason, even though it's not very accurate to any one particular version, I really want to get one!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

It took a long time for me to come around to thin-neck sabers, but, now that I have, I absolutely love them. The new Korbanth LS-6 looks very interesting because I want to to a v2 with some elements of the v3. I'm excited to see what they look like once released.

Hey slynger ! That Roman's Mk1 + Spirit of Ob1 Crystal Chamber looks great! That emitter looks really nice, is that the weathered kit or did you do it yourself? Also, did you just wire it up for the crystal to be illuminated or did you put a sound card in there too? Good job on your first lightsaber. Get that D-Ring finished and wear it with pride!

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife picked up Rebels season 3 on blu ray the other day, and there are several good shots of Obi-Wan's lightsaber. One of the behind the scenes featurettes had a shot of what I'm assuming the animators/artists use as reference for the saber. I brought the picture into Sketchup and built up this model.
1dfc236587e7cbdc478877fab88178ea.jpg
3e067ff5696c5c47b8acedd7b2c9d1ab.jpg
f77a9a2b4c1435fbd0dfeb69460e1097.jpg

I finally managed to get my hands on an Anakin Starkiller Luke ROTJ Hero saber and for a pretty good deal. It has a Nicksdad control box on it but that's not bad. I upgraded the control box with real copper rails just like my Nicksdad saber. The last photo shows the two together.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Andrew

My wife picked up Rebels season 3 on blu ray the other day, and there are several good shots of Obi-Wan's lightsaber. One of the behind the scenes featurettes had a shot of what I'm assuming the animators/artists use as reference for the saber. I brought the picture into Sketchup and built up this model.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171024/1dfc236587e7cbdc478877fab88178ea.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171024/3e067ff5696c5c47b8acedd7b2c9d1ab.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171024/f77a9a2b4c1435fbd0dfeb69460e1097.jpg

Here are the shots I have from that episode. Pics of the tv screen before yet another commment regarding screenshots.

Attachments

• 0171B224-4A70-430B-9363-34E63AEAA7E2.jpeg
    0171B224-4A70-430B-9363-34E63AEAA7E2.jpeg
    931.6 KB · Views: 269
  • E8B2C8A3-556D-40A4-B0F7-0253B3E29F7B.jpeg
    E8B2C8A3-556D-40A4-B0F7-0253B3E29F7B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 200
  • 6BC2C20F-2B7D-4A3C-BD71-77BCF2FE4802.jpeg
    6BC2C20F-2B7D-4A3C-BD71-77BCF2FE4802.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 202
anyone have any luck stripping the finish off of romans grenade? i am going to attempt to soak it in oven clean see if it removes the anodize. if the finish is anodize

anyone have any luck stripping the finish off of romans grenade? i am going to attempt to soak it in oven clean see if it removes the anodize. if the finish is anodize

A recent run? Pretty sure they are all cold (chemically) blued. A wire brush or wire wheel dremel attachment should work.

No problem. I did have one of his anodized aluminum ones, but that was from a 2004-2006 run. I don't think he's done an aluminum run since pre 2010.

I once (within the past 4 years) got a grenade with a light brown body. not long after that my dad got one that was blued and we were surprised!

Yeah mine is kinda brown. It doesn’t bother me I’m just board and want to re weather it. This doesn’t look like gun glue to me. I’m gonna try a few things before hitting it with a wire wheel.

I’ve highjacked this thread enough lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to veer off topic, but I figured this is the group to ask. After seeing some great pics for the Kenobi saber with the kyber chamber, where would one find a good display case for it? Preferably one that lets you display both open and closed configurations.

Time for a bump! I've started working on my new Starkiller V2 and wanted to share some progress. After going over the saber with a brillo pad and some #0000 steel wool, I sent the pieces through the dishwasher with some oxyclean for the detergent. This actually worked better than I thought, and I ended up knocking the patina back with some more steel wool. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Now its playing the waiting game for Trent's newest stencils. Here the saber is pictured next to AS's 2nd run 3 piece. This had been my V2, but I've stripped the paint off in preparation for converting it to a Kenobi stunt.
b9ef93874694deb54d2ee10cfd98bdba.jpg
d32498ded29b90768de318cca975a7c1.jpg
d2fddcce1139930841af38bd50a72973.jpg

Sorry to veer off topic, but I figured this is the group to ask. After seeing some great pics for the Kenobi saber with the kyber chamber, where would one find a good display case for it? Preferably one that lets you display both open and closed configurations.
For inexpensive cases, I've seen clear plastic cases meant for model cars that work really well. Hobby Lobby carries several different sizes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back