X wing toy conversions.......$60 bucks all in.

Lear60man

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok so maybe a little over 60 clams but close. I did the Kenner/Hasbro toy years ago. FWIW, Its a great quasi studio scale model for the money, plus it has electronics. The bigger one is the latest Big XWing that I picked up at TRU for $30. Smaller X was 2 days with nothing but paint. The larger X is after 1 day of paint. Im gonna rebuild the cannon half moons and finish up the weathering. Mulling around doing a full aluminum wing structure ( It will prolly happen).

Comments are welcome as always. But you dont have to drop a bunch of cash to have a nice display piece.

Sorry for the low light pic.

Another hour or so of work on her. Getting there. Tomorrow, correct the cannon half moons, yellow paint around the cannon heat sinks and some touch up. Then hang it on a wall vertically.

I've been so tempted to get one of these. I did buy the Hasbro Millennium Falcon but haven't started on it. It's so big that i worry where I'd put it.

Actually the toy itself cost $95 and I created silicon molds and cast the engines cannons etc...so in reality:rolleyes it probably cost about $300

Although not 100% finished, its hung on a wall......so that usually means its gonna stay that way for a while. But since the fire was lit.........I had the largest, most accurate, Slave 1 toy also in my office. This was Jango Fetts ship. Cool toy, nice proportions, guns are clunky and will be replaced but not bad out of the box. I like the one or two day builds with the exception of my Deagostini build (go to the commercial Studio Scale Section for that one). Too bad the Slave 1 is the toxic studio scale SW ship in the replica community.

It needs about 4 more layers of various paint and weathering. This was the result after about 4 hours of work. You can see the before ship in my previous pics.

I've been so tempted to get one of these. I did buy the Hasbro Millennium Falcon but haven't started on it. It's so big that i worry where I'd put it.

You meant one with lights and sounds and super big cockpit? I had one....gutted it for the electronics to transplant to the more accurate 29" toy. I used that one as a practice piece for painting the Studio scale one I have now. In fact, I have a bunch of upgrade parts in resin for it. Ill finish it one day.

Funny fact. Once I bought a cheepo low noise air compressor, I am painting everything in sight. It the size of a pair of shoes, super quiet and the wife has no idea im painting in the house. I just crack a window in the office, turn on some Sci Fi and the time flies. Before, I had to go out to my workshop, fire up the industrial compressor, max a bunch of paint only to be thrown away.........

No I bought the latest one that is just a plastic shell. Some of the sidewalls are molded in and others are just flat but they give you stickers. I bought a salzo upgrade kit for it and have yet to start it.

You meant one with lights and sounds and super big cockpit? I had one....gutted it for the electronics to transplant to the more accurate 29" toy. I used that one as a practice piece for painting the Studio scale one I have now. In fact, I have a bunch of upgrade parts in resin for it. Ill finish it one day.

Funny fact. Once I bought a cheepo low noise air compressor, I am painting everything in sight. It the size of a pair of shoes, super quiet and the wife has no idea im painting in the house. I just crack a window in the office, turn on some Sci Fi and the time flies. Before, I had to go out to my workshop, fire up the industrial compressor, max a bunch of paint only to be thrown away.........

I have the same one. Its an awesome display piece for the money. Throw some cash at it......scaled perfection.

What make/model is that cheepo low noise compressor? I'm looking for something that fits this general description and am very interested in what you've found and your experience with it.

Here ya go:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TO578Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ive been so happy with it, Ive been knocking out projects left and right. I use it in my home office and the wife cant hear it in the next room. its about the size of 3/4 loaf of bread so its easy to tuck away. Built in water separator etc. The action on the supplied brush is OK, not awesome, but OK. For the money Its doing everything I want it only runs for a second or two to build up pressure. Some times I forget to turn it off and it still has pressure from the night before.

Here ya go:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TO578Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ive been so happy with it, Ive been knocking out projects left and right. I use it in my home office and the wife cant hear it in the next room. its about the size of 3/4 loaf of bread so its easy to tuck away. Built in water separator etc. The action on the supplied brush is OK, not awesome, but OK. For the money Its doing everything I want it only runs for a second or two to build up pressure. Some times I forget to turn it off and it still has pressure from the night before.
Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking at this exact compressor! A lot of reviews not unlike yours, but I feel much more confident after hearing you've had a good experience with it. Just placed an order. Have more or less the same situation that you describe: Big compressor available in the workshop/garage, but have a lot of projects that would be nice to knock out at the workbench in the house. Again, thank you.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking at this exact compressor! A lot of reviews not unlike yours, but I feel much more confident after hearing you've had a good experience with it. Just placed an order. Have more or less the same situation that you describe: Big compressor available in the workshop/garage, but have a lot of projects that would be nice to knock out at the workbench in the house. Again, thank you.

My pleasure. Another bonus......I also bought a nicer dual action gun with a smaller gravity fed container. Before, I was using a suction bottle that was the size of a shot glass. The new one is the size of a thimble. This gives you the freedom to switch out colors on the fly without wasting a bungh of paint and thinner. In fact, I painted my entire studio scale Deagostini Falcon, Big X wing, Big Slave 1......and still have 30% of my Tamyia thinner bottle left over.

I use a big clip to hold down the pant gun holder to my office desk. This has been a blessing. Two months ago I was in the garage with my old set up and didnt have a proper gun holder. I spilled some paints and in the process of cleaning up I bumped the mirror on my Testarossa ($3,000 oopsie). Thankfully I got it fixed for a lot less, but it was a motivator to take the project into a controlled environment.

Awiata (spelling) makes their version for a lot more, but not worth the extra cash in my opinion. I think you will be happy. Just make sure you clean out the gun really good just like you should at the end of every session.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back