ROGUE ONE - Rebel Pilots

Man, one thing they can't replicate from the 70s is how skinny everyone was apparently. Or is it just that the flight suits are puffier somehow? All the pilots appear to be retaining water.

I think that the extras in 1977 that played pilots also played Stormtroopers - and those all had to be a certain size: 5'10" tall with 34" waists.

The Rebel costumes are a mishmash of ANH and ESB here... The flight suits are probably one layer of nylon instead of a layer of cotton.
The mishmash bugs me a little, because many garments look like cold-weather garments and I have always pictured the Massassi Temple on Yavin 4 as being in a subtropical climate - like in Guatemala where the exterior shots were shot.

"With the mantra to capture original trilogy elements “how you remember it”, fighter pilots wore polished flightsuits, rather than the dyed boiler suits seen in the original 1977 Star Wars movie." (source):

74cdc81a241b4de8af445ad2171deab6.jpg

You guys know that astonaunts wear a pretty thick spacesuit even thought they launch from Florida. Or did you think that took off in shorts and flip flops?

My guess is that they opted for a suit that looked as if it might protect the pilot if they ejected rather than something that looked like a prison uniform.

I am a fan of the first hour. I was 13 in 1979 if I seen a New Hope and I love the X-Wing Pilot Costumes. Today if I seen Rogue One I am very happy and love the new X-Wing Pilot costumes to.They looks like more realistic. I am sure if Lucas had the same Budget and Technic than today in 1976 the Pilots costumes looks like today.

I think the mandate was very much to 'uprez' the original costumes. Where before a strap was plain it now has ribbing, when before there was plain cotton it's now a more exotic fabric with sewn-in details. I like to think these are not new uniforms, or ESB ones, but the same ones shown in much greater detail than before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the mandate was very much to 'uprez' the original costumes. Where before a strap was plain it now has ribbing, when before there was plain cotton it's now a more exotic fabric with sewn-in details.
My impression is that they did the opposite. The suits in the old trilogy were custom-made for the production, in lightweight cotton twill and were similar to how racing-driver jumpsuits were made at the time. George Lucas loved racing cars, BTW.

The new suits were store-bought actual flight-suits with the pockets sewn on - which is not an improvement. The base fabric is shiny, somewhat reminiscent of the waterproof jackets in ESB, but the colour is wrong - too reddish, and the fabric of the base jumpsuits and sewn-on pockets don't match. The characteristic pointed-tab collar is nowhere to be seen.
Lightweight shiny synthetic fabric is often associated with cheap Halloween costumes, and that is how the orange suits look to me - like something slapped together fast and cheap for Halloween.

The original movies' straps did have ribbing. The ejection straps were woven with subtle ribbing, but that type of strap is very rare - it had been used for seat belts in older British cars, and have not been manufactured for decades.
The flak vests had stitches reminiscent of ribbing, but it was not very pronounced. Maybe they are backed with batting now to make them more puffy - it is hard to tell in images.
The belts don't have ribbing now or then - those are loops for holding cartridge-looking devices (whatever they were supposed to be, often called "belt flares").

I can only lament how now the Rebel Legion is going to be swamped with applications for Rogue One-style pilots, a costume which they can't possibly deny acceptance for now that there are so many live-action references available: even if completely screen-accurate, it would look cheap and out of place next to a screen-accurate OT suit.

Last edited:
Unless there has been some new info in the last few years, the boots used for the original on screen X-Wing costume were German Knobelbeche Tanker boots The ones with the strap at the top). These were also used for the TIE Fighter costume as well. Most replica costumers use common jackboots because the very similar in shape but cheaper and easier to find.
It's nice to have friends in Germany who can hit their local surplus shops. :D

SDC12517.jpg

SDC12518.jpg

In some cases, I think the original item can be improved upon or approximated for cheaper. In other cases, nothing else will do.

--Jonah

Last edited:
That's what I thought too at first, but clicking on the images gives you a summary of the scenes:

• "After graduating from the Imperial Academy, Biggs returned home to Tatooine for a visit. At Tosche Station, he swapped tales with his old friends, including his best friend from boyhood, Luke Skywalker."
  • "Luke claimed he'd seen a battle in the skies above Tatooine. But peering through Luke's macrobinoculars, Biggs was skeptical -- the two ships were just sitting there."
  • "Luke boasted to Biggs about his latest exploits racing skyhoppers through Tatooine's treacherous Beggar's Canyon. Biggs listened in amused patience, then warned his friend to be careful not to crash into a canyon wall. "
  • "Biggs had something else to tell Luke during his visit home. Leaning close, he told his old friend an enormous secret: He planned to defect from the Empire, serving the Rebel Alliance as a starfighter pilot."
  • "The two friends parted ways, with Biggs promising to keep an eye out for Luke -- perhaps one day they'd be reunited. But Biggs had no idea how soon he'd be proved correct."
Gonna put my response in here to avoid taking up space in this thread with off-topic stuff...
And eve tje Databank can get it wrong, if it's contracted by the movie itself. Biggs didn't go to the Imperial Academy, nor was it where Luke -- who hated the Empire, remember -- wanted to go. When he's talking to Luke about the political situation, he mentions the Empire is nationalizing trade in the central systems and it's only a matter of time before it turns its attention to the Outer Rim. He says he's not going to wait to be drafted into Imperial service. It sounds much more like an Outer Rim merchantmarine academy.

Which leads to the other problem. I love that scene, and consider it canon... but it works much better if he's missing Biggs and remembering his visit when he goes to tell his friends about the space battle he saw. From that point in the story, it's a matter of, like, four or five days until Luke runs into Biggs again at the Yavin base. I don't think that's enough time for Biggs to have, as he put it, report to his freighter, jump ship with his friend who knows someone who might be able to put them in contact with the Rebels... and make it to Yavin, after passsing whatever security checks and blah blah blah. Timeline doesn't work, IMO.

--Jonah

Well the whole Biggs thing is a moot point now since he's not seen anywhere in the final film, if he was he would be reused or CG like the rest of the pilots from ANH.

It's nice to have friends in Germany who can hit their local surplus shops. :D

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Adabiel/Mandos/SDC12517.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Adabiel/Mandos/SDC12518.jpg

In some cases, I think the original item can be improved upon or approximated for cheaper. In other cases, nothing else will do.

--Jonah

I got lucky. Back when I got mine, there was a US seller who had a supply. I was able to get them and shipped for about $75. The shipping alone from Europe can run that much.

I can only lament how now the Rebel Legion is going to be swamped with applications for Rogue One-style pilots, a costume which they can't possibly deny acceptance for now that there are so many live-action references available: even if completely screen-accurate, it would look cheap and out of place next to a screen-accurate OT suit.

Respectfully disagree.

You can't make a film now and accurately replicate costumes from a low-budget 70s scifi movie. You'd just get laughed out of the cinema.

Now don't get me wrong, I think the Mollo originals are absolute design classics and I'm glad they are being heavily referenced in these new designs, but to make a modern, high-budget scifi movie for modern audiences but use 70s boiler suits (you say they are custom made but to anyone that grew up in Britain of the period recognises them as barely modified) and some vac-formed plastic is just a non-starter.

Remember, these films aren't being made for those of us that have strong emotional ties to the original costumes, they're being made for the kids today that we were when we first saw those films.

I absolutely agree that there are certain details that maybe could have been addressed in a different way, but overall I think they are are great updates to a classic costume created in a shoestring 40 odd years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever thought maybe they had a few differing variations of flight suits in story context? Battle of Yavin was several days later. Maybe they put on their other suits? We saw Gold and Red leader wearing them in this one. ;)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back