Tomorrowland Blaster Project

DaveG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
One of the androids in the new Tomorrowland movie is carrying a pretty cool blaster. There a nice shot of it in the trailer. I thought I'd take a crack at it.

Frame grab:

I took the image into Photoshop to remove some of the perspective and distortion:

Then imported the image into Rhino and used it for reference when creating the 3D model. Here are a couple views of the work in progress:

It looks like the prop is one display over at the Disneyland Park. I'm gonna pop down there this week to see if I can get a closer look.

If they're still on display, I think this is it at the top.

-MJ

Attachments

• Guns!.jpg
    Guns!.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 291
I am very interested in making one of these as well. I'm interested if you are able to come across better images of the right side of it. I'll be watching this thread intently! Good luck!

That large horizontal greeblie on the side looks like it might be the underside of a truck or AFV. You might wanna ask the studio scale guys. Might save you some work modeling from scratch...

-MJ

I did get down to the Park earlier in the week and got a few pictures which I'll post soon. The prop is pretty high up in the case so it was difficult to get photos at a good angle. I did get shots of the rifle version, which looks like it has similar details, to use as a guide.

I thought about asking the SS guys about the nernies but I'll probably just model them anyway. It's pretty fast to do and I don't want to spend money buying a bunch of kits. Besides, I really don't care if it's 100 percent accurate and have no intention of selling replicas of the prop.

Here are the pics I got of the prop down at the Park. Like I said, it's high up in the display case, about 8 feet, difficult to get a decent shot, lots of glare.

However the rifle version of the blaster was at eye level and the detail on the front looks identical to the pistol version.

The part on the bottom looks like a pocket clip from something.

I promised myself I was going to finish some of the other projects I'm working on before starting in on something new so I'm going to put this one aside for awhile!

But before I did, he's a bit of the nernie detailing from the other side.

As soon as I saw the trailer for Tomorrow Land at the cinema last week I knew it wouldn't be long before someone would take on the blaster.

Good luck with the build.

Just came from seeing it, two thumbs down as well.

:( yeah. Me too. Wanted to love this so bad, but got my heart broken. Looked over my shoulder and half the audience was actually asleep. One guy was snoring.

BUT - if you do move ahead with this - this prop is on display at the El Capitan on Hollywood BLVD.

What got me the most was the violence. What idiot at Disney decided it's acceptable for a PG rating to see a young girl get hit by a truck? It scared the crap out of my kids, along with the "Sci-Fi" violence, including dismemberment and decapitation. Seriously, Disney...F you.

What got me the most was the violence. What idiot at Disney decided it's acceptable for a PG rating to see a young girl get hit by a truck? It scared the crap out of my kids, along with the "Sci-Fi" violence, including dismemberment and decapitation. Seriously, Disney...F you.
What idiot at your house took your children to see a movie that you hadn't fully checked out? Your responsibility, dad. And no, it's not Disney's call, the rating was set by the MPAA.

What idiot at your house took your children to see a movie that you hadn't fully checked out? Your responsibility, dad. And no, it's not Disney's call, the rating was set by the MPAA.

I had checked out reviews beforehand, some good, some bad. I looked into the rating, which was quoted as "Sci-Fi Violence" I wanted to go see a movie I could enjoy with my kids that was (or at least should have been) a safe bet. I take great care in what I permit my kids to see, but as much care as you can take, there will always be things you miss.

I'm disappointed that Disney went for it. I wasn't by any means expectng a G rated film, but what I saw should not have been rated PG. It was a bad call by the MPAA, and an even worse call by Disney to even have these things in a film that was supposed to be inspirational and uplifting.

To to cap it off with the "everything's ok now, let's change the world" was an empty way to justify the unnecessary violence.

If you decide to not proceed, would you be willing to share you file with those of use who are still working on it?

Nick, I hope you'll understand when I say that no, I won't be sharing my model file. I work for Disney Imagineering, and even though I had nothing to do with the production of the film, and the modeling was done entirely from images freely available on the internet, it just wouldn't be a good idea for me to give out drawing files based on Disney intellectual property. I love my job too much to take that chance! And it would be even worse if someone on the RPF were to sell un-licensed replicas based (even in part) on my model file.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back