Star Lord helmet AND accessories!!! by Helagak!

This has been asked a lot in here, but none of the answers are very clear. When I open up the Mask v2 from the first post (this is the right file yes?) in pepakura it says the scale is 42. Now this is supposedly for a 21.5 or 22.5in head? And was scaled down from the original which was for 25 (which is perfect for me). So do I take the 42/.88 = 47.7. This should be the original scale and equivalent to 25in head circumference yes?

Also when I auto-calculate the parts onto the paper in pepakura designer, I end up with 30ish pages.... This is my first time and I was expecting it to be fairly difficult, but that seems very high?

Last edited:
I've finished modifying the mask eye section so the recessed section is wider.
Modified mask eyes2.png
http://www.4shared.com/file/Juaodjggba/Modified_Eyes_fixed.html

Hi all! Firstly I want to say what an amazing model Helagak, it looks wonderful! Secondly, I'm interested in 3D printing the helmet, but admit, I am completely new to the game. I've read through the entire thread in order to collate info on what I might need to do, but would really appreciate if any of you could point me in the right direction too.

I understand that I will be required to scale the 3D models down, but I'm unsure how to do this. Is this possible in Blender? I noticed it's what Helagak used to design the mask, but to be honest, I'm unsure exactly how to use it.

Under the Scene properties, I have changed the Units to metric, and I noticed there is a Scale field here (currently stating 1.00). Do I need to enter 0.88 here before I import the shapes or after? Or does it not matter?

Also because I will be using a 3D printing service (rather than being able to do my own 3D printing), I need to be able to arrange the parts in such a way as to maximise the use of the space (within the printing limit of the cube?) as to cheapen the cost. How can I do this? Am I able to import all the parts into Blender, move them into an arrangement within a guidelined cube, and then export the whole thing as one STL file?

Please any help would be great. Although I'm generally handy with computer software, I'm just a complete novice when it comes to 3D printing and modelling. I could really use any of your expertise.

Hi all! Firstly I want to say what an amazing model Helagak, it looks wonderful! Secondly, I'm interested in 3D printing the helmet, but admit, I am completely new to the game. I've read through the entire thread in order to collate info on what I might need to do, but would really appreciate if any of you could point me in the right direction too.

I understand that I will be required to scale the 3D models down, but I'm unsure how to do this. Is this possible in Blender? I noticed it's what Helagak used to design the mask, but to be honest, I'm unsure exactly how to use it.

Under the Scene properties, I have changed the Units to metric, and I noticed there is a Scale field here (currently stating 1.00). Do I need to enter 0.88 here before I import the shapes or after? Or does it not matter?

Also because I will be using a 3D printing service (rather than being able to do my own 3D printing), I need to be able to arrange the parts in such a way as to maximise the use of the space (within the printing limit of the cube?) as to cheapen the cost. How can I do this? Am I able to import all the parts into Blender, move them into an arrangement within a guidelined cube, and then export the whole thing as one STL file?

Please any help would be great. Although I'm generally handy with computer software, I'm just a complete novice when it comes to 3D printing and modelling. I could really use any of your expertise.
When importing, the model dimensions are extremely large (for the Mask test no eyes), it's a couple hundred of metres across. I just don't understand why the model dimensions are so large, I've obviously got something wrong here!

Last edited:
I had similar questions. My university has a 3D printer that I have access to, so I had considered getting an estimate form them. However I have to send them an appropriately sized file before they okay the submission, etc. I've never done anything with files such as this, so I was curious about the same things.

I had similar questions. My university has a 3D printer that I have access to, so I had considered getting an estimate form them. However I have to send them an appropriately sized file before they okay the submission, etc. I've never done anything with files such as this, so I was curious about the same things.
I'm glad it's not just me. Yep it's literally just the current size that they're importing, and then obviously I need to maximise the use of the printer to save cost because I can only simply send in an STL file to the printing service and nothing else. I'm currently playing about with them now, but we'll see how far I get..

The problem is STLs have no measurement unit built in, but almost all 3D printing slicers expect the STL to be in millimeters (mm). So when you import the STLs into a problem you need to make sure to select the import to use mm.

I used Netfabb Basic to resize the STLS as well as reposition them on the platform. It's a great simple app for this. However it won't let you arrange multipel STLs and export them as one STL unless you get the paid for version. To do this I used Meshlab, which will allow you to import multiple STLs, and then flatten them into one.

Ok I think it's just the fact that I'm importing it into Blender that's causing the sizing issue. I've just downloaded Netfabb and have imported the parts onto that, and they seem to be a much more reasonable size! I've selected all the parts and scaled them by 0.8823529412.

Ok, so the 3D printing service I use allow for a max size of 320mm x 220mm x 190mm. Do I simply now need to just rearrange the pieces until (when all selected) their total dimensions fit within that? Do I need to pay attention to any particular orientation, or allow for gaps (maintain the tolerance of 1mm?)? Can I also export/save multiple parts to one (or two) STL files?

Again, any help would be wonderful!

The problem is STLs have no measurement unit built in, but almost all 3D printing slicers expect the STL to be in millimeters (mm). So when you import the STLs into a problem you need to make sure to select the import to use mm.

I used Netfabb Basic to resize the STLS as well as reposition them on the platform. It's a great simple app for this. However it won't let you arrange multipel STLs and export them as one STL unless you get the paid for version. To do this I used Meshlab, which will allow you to import multiple STLs, and then flatten them into one.
Hi Jonny! I just read your response :) yes I've already downloaded Netfabb basic and it seems to be processing the parts at a much more sensible size. It was a relative breeze to rescale them on that! Thanks for the advice, I will have a look at Meshlab and see where that will get me!

Should I resize all the parts on Netfabb first and resave them before importing into Meshlab?

Also I'd like to know how much it generally costs you to print a helmet of this size (heh minus the price of buying a printer of course!). I just wanted to know so I could compare it to the quotes from various 3D printing companies. If these services are mega expensive, are there any users who may be willing to print and ship these for a fee? I'm not new to RPF but it's the first time I've ever registered on the forum :)

Many thanks for all your help :) (also cool name, it's mine too! heh well Jon is)

I'd personally look at combining the parts and then rescale the "plate" (all items put together).
I've still got the back and extensions to go but I've still used less than a reel, so it's under £20 so far. My names actually Jonathan, but I use Jonny in most places.

The modified mask eyes are in Helagaks default size.

Just FYI quotes for this have ranged from $180 to $475... It's much more cost effective to buy a resin cast if you don't own a printer...

I'd personally look at combining the parts and then rescale the "plate" (all items put together).
I've still got the back and extensions to go but I've still used less than a reel, so it's under £20 so far. My names actually Jonathan, but I use Jonny in most places.

The modified mask eyes are in Helagaks default size.
My name's actually Jonathan too, but I generally just go by Jon! Oh so it's very reasonable if you already own a 3D printer! Just not so much if you don't, oh well :)

I use about half a spool or 2.5 pounds of plastic to print one because I print with a lot of supports so that it'll come out good. The main thing your paying for with the 3d print is the time. It ties my machine for a week so I can do nothing else basically.

So yeah if you can get a resin cast that looks good I would totally go that route.
If you don't have time to wait for the cast or need it custom scaled, then think about having it printed.

Just FYI quotes for this have ranged from $180 to $475... It's much more cost effective to buy a resin cast if you don't own a printer...
I've been looking but no such luck so far, any ideas where they might be available? I really wish I owned a printer, this would've been far easier!

- - - Updated - - -

I use about half a spool or 2.5 pounds of plastic to print one because I print with a lot of supports so that it'll come out good. The main thing your paying for with the 3d print is the time. It ties my machine for a week so I can do nothing else basically.

So yeah if you can get a resin cast that looks good I would totally go that route.
If you don't have time to wait for the cast or need it custom scaled, then think about having it printed.
Oh wow, I really didn't realise it took that much time. That's how little I know about 3D printing :/ I'll have a look around for a resin cast, but so far, I've had no such luck. Thank you very much for your input :)

I think I just missed an opportunity for a run by a day or two :)
You can check places like 3Dhubs and makexyz for local printers in your area. I personally list my printers on both those sites.
They'll quote you a price. Make sure you tell them what the scale of the model will be. And don't forget to attach your files so they can run the quote.

You can also look around google to see if there are any hacker/maker spaces in your area. Sometimes you can join those as a membership with a monthly fee. Then you get access to their tools and machines (and 3d printers).

You can check places like 3Dhubs and makexyz for local printers in your area. I personally list my printers on both those sites.
They'll quote you a price. Make sure you tell them what the scale of the model will be. And don't forget to attach your files so they can run the quote.

You can also look around google to see if there are any hacker/maker spaces in your area. Sometimes you can join those as a membership with a monthly fee. Then you get access to their tools and machines (and 3d printers).
Thanks for your help! :) I'll take a look!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back