Star Wars Anthology (Obi-Wan Kenobi)

I'm inclined to agree, but we know that the saber picked up a lot of weathering during his years on Tatooine, so it couldn't have spent the whole time in that chest next to Anakins.

Agreed. With Vader combing the Galaxy, on the hunt for the remaining Jedi, it is almost certain Obi Wan would be inclined to assist those being
hunted.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't that be a heck of a movie(s):thumbsup

Last edited:
Boy... I dunno. I just watched that interview above with him and i am still very much charmed. <3

Yeah, I guess it's hard to argue with that guy's charisma. So I'll rephrase it to say that hopefully McGregor can turn the charm down to normal human levels for this Kenobi movie.

McGregor, if you're out there reading this, dial it down for the sake of the movie. Do it... for Guinness.

Highly agree, obiwan shouldn't leave tatoonie

And I like the idea of igniting the lightsaber being a special part of the movie. Not igniting it ever 5 seconds like the prequels did
Agreed. Much like Vader's one special saber scene in R1. It should have some meaning to it, but not overused for petes sake.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Cameo as a Jedi or a Lightsaber Parts Vendor? And a credit as a contributor in the end credits!

I think the ANH ignition in the Mos Eisley Cantina was the first time in a long time that Obi-Wan had used his lightsaber. Especially since one little rat ran right out to get the reward from the Stormtroopers the instance Obi-Wan revealed himself as Jedi.

The tricky part would be deciding whether to cast a now older Ewan McGregor as a younger than Prequels Obi-Wan or to cast him more appropriately as a Post Prequels Obi-Run (<---Run, get it?!) and show him dodging J.A.T.'s (Jedi Assassination Teams) and his eventually settling down back on Tatooine.

Speaking of Boba Fett, I have a really cool Obi-Wan vs. Boba Fett story to pitch. Someone pass that info along! ;)

exactly how i feel as well! but with the new canon its not like that anymore :( seems like obiwan doesnt care to ignite that sucker when ever he wants(including TO time periods)... including random knocking on his ol' smelly hut door

what i have gathered so far is, obiwan fought off a group of gangster thugs from jabba. they were bothering lars and making him pay extra tax... very mafia like issue. obiwan fought off a bounty hunter bothering lars and luke, he used his saber there as well. forgot why the bounty hunter was there... had nothing to do with obiwan but somehow the bounty hunter (which is a wookiee) stumbled upon them.. luke was maybe 10-11-12 years old at this time in the comics. we recently saw Obiwan defeat maul on tatooine with his lightsaber, and at the end we saw luke running on the horizon. pablo confirmed luke to be 16yrs old (same age as ezra in the show)

so i would really like it for obiwan to lay low until the cantina scene we both love, that way it doesnt devalue that scene at all
im glad we think a like, because i get that same feeling while watching the cantina scene, you can even see obiwan look around like "damn right people... I'm a ol' jedi... step off" thats my polite way of saying it lol

Agreed. Much like Vader's one special saber scene in R1. It should have some meaning to it, but not overused for petes sake.

exactly Alex, the OT to me made the lightsaber scenes special. maybe because it was very expensive to do? so they made those scenes so much more epic? even when luke ignites it in obiwan's hut. obiwan describes it as his fathers and BAAAMMM! that sucker ignites zooming across the screen. like i perviously stated, i think the cantina scene is the best lightsaber exposer ever. ESB took some liberties, we see it i think more in ESB then even RoTJ. but again all very special parts, including Han using it at the beginning, answering the question "can force users only use lightsabers?"

and R2 popping that saber out and delivering it to Luke before his untimely death... love it

prequels... those things were lit through out most of the movies.. when they ignited in the movie there was no "special" moment for me... and I'm not a prequels hater at all... i just think they used them too much

exactly Alex, the OT to me made the lightsaber scenes special. maybe because it was very expensive to do? so they made those scenes so much more epic? even when luke ignites it in obiwan's hut. obiwan describes it as his fathers and BAAAMMM! that sucker ignites zooming across the screen. like i perviously stated, i think the cantina scene is the best lightsaber exposer ever. ESB took some liberties, we see it i think more in ESB then even RoTJ. but again all very special parts, including Han using it at the beginning, answering the question "can force users only use lightsabers?"

and R2 popping that saber out and delivering it to Luke before his untimely death... love it

prequels... those things were lit through out most of the movies.. when they ignited in the movie there was no "special" moment for me... and I'm not a prequels hater at all... i just think they used them too much

Less is more.

A truth Hollywood has forgotten.

The Wook

The problem with the prequels lightsaber use (imho) was this: the amount of lightsaber scenes was kind of called for because it was in a time where people were fighting against Jedi, and the Jedi had to use force back. Lightsabers are what they had. Did I LIKE the amount of use? No but it did have decent reasoning behind it.

At this point in time though, ObiWan shouldn't have to use his saber too much unless they show mauls final return in this film (please don't bacaue rebels handled that fine). Other than that he shouldn't have too many uses for it but then again Hollywood and disney will do anything for a quick dollar.

Eh. I really don’t care if they have him using his lightsaber as much as he wants whenever he wants. First of all, that is part of the character, and what audiences expect.

There’s really nothing in ANH to suggest that he has generally refrained from using his lightsaber in the past, or that he has much concern about using it on Tatooine. Remembering that the community appear to consider him a “crazy old wizard”, there’s nothing in the film indicate that that wasn’t part of his “craziness” - occasionally being seen swinging around a weapon that, to the others in the community, probably didn’t even belong to him. Furthermore, if he was so concerned with keeping his use of the lightsaber on the down-low, then he probably would not have whipped it out in the middle of a public bar, when they were being actively pursued by the imperials and even had a run-in with stormtroopers just outside the bar a few moments before – he could’ve defused the situation with Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba just as easily - and less conspicuously -with a surreptitious push or squeeze from the Force to disarm them – or even a mind trick as in the bar in AOTC.

As far as refraining from showing it to preserve the impact of the scene in ANH - I do understand that line of thought, but we have to recognize that people are not watching these films in the same order we originally did, and any given scene in one of the older films necessarily loses its impact based on what is shown in later films. But if we do follow that line of thinking, Han’s shooting of Greedo in ANH was an amazingly impactful, succinct reveal of numerous qualities of the character – his ruthlessness, his skill with a blaster, his attitude. Are we saying that Han should not fire a gun more than once or twice in the anthology film, because it will diminish the impact of that scene in the Cantina?

M

All that being said, I DO expect them to use it only sparingly, or make a big deal of it what it is first shown. And I am just fine with that. After all, there isn’t much point in devoting a whole film to him unless it centers around a fairly pivotal moment in the character’s history – so one has to assume that the story will center around some important event that marked an interruption in his hermitage on Tatooine and made him – perhaps even reluctantly – haul out the light saber and face his heritage as a Jedi again. (Sort of like the story of the old gunslinger having to come out of retirement.) Which is, once again, all fine and dandy with me.

M

I'd suggest that there were a couple of Special Prequel Lightsaber Moments though, like the dual saber beheading by Anakin, Qui-Gon Jinn getting stabbed, General Grievous lighting up all those sabers, and even a special moment of turning off a lightsaber as Qui-Gon knelt and meditated waiting to get through to Maul.

what i have gathered so far is, obiwan fought off a group of gangster thugs from jabba. they were bothering lars and making him pay extra tax... very mafia like issue. obiwan fought off a bounty hunter bothering lars and luke, he used his saber there as well. forgot why the bounty hunter was there... had nothing to do with obiwan but somehow the bounty hunter (which is a wookiee) stumbled upon them.. luke was maybe 10-11-12 years old at this time in the comics. we recently saw Obiwan defeat maul on tatooine with his lightsaber, and at the end we saw luke running on the horizon. pablo confirmed luke to be 16yrs old (same age as ezra in the show)
I was just skimming through the Star Wars Comics trade paper backs at Barnes and Noble the other day. I almost bought the "Obi-Wan" paperback book but set it back on the shelf. I did buy two other Star Wars books there though!

so i would really like it for obiwan to lay low until the cantina scene we both love, that way it doesnt devalue that scene at all
im glad we think a like, because i get that same feeling while watching the cantina scene, you can even see obiwan look around like "damn right people... I'm a ol' jedi... step off" thats my polite way of saying it lol
And "FINALLY! BY THE FORCE THAT FELT GOOD TO BE MYSELF AGAIN!"

Eh. I really don’t care if they have him using his lightsaber as much as he wants whenever he wants.
How about a dragon-headed walking stick? ;)

There’s really nothing in ANH to suggest that he has generally refrained from using his lightsaber in the past, or that he has much concern about using it on Tatooine. Remembering that the community appear to consider him a “crazy old wizard”, there’s nothing in the film indicate that that wasn’t part of his “craziness” - occasionally being seen swinging around a weapon that, to the others in the community, probably didn’t even belong to him.
I think that was just what Owen said to Luke to put an adverse image of Obi-Wan in Luke's subconscious to prevent Luke from "following old Obi-Wan on some damn-fool idealistic crusade". Nobody recognized Obi-Wan in the cantina enough to not mess with his little friend.

Han’s shooting of Greedo in ANH was an amazingly impactful, succinct reveal of numerous qualities of the character – his ruthlessness, his skill with a blaster, his attitude. Are we saying that Han should not fire a gun more than once or twice in the anthology film, because it will diminish the impact of that scene in the Cantina? M
Unfortunately, too all our chagrins, Han no longer shoots first and his ruthlessness is no longer there because of it to all those who didn't see the original cut. As to the other, it's not the same that Obi-Wan was in hiding and Han was not, and that is what prevented Obi-Wan from swinging around his lightsaber all the time to dispatch the badguys. Except for whatever he may have done in those EU stories/comics I haven't read yet. ;)

Eh. I really don’t care if they have him using his lightsaber as much as he wants whenever he wants. First of all, that is part of the character, and what audiences expect.

There’s really nothing in ANH to suggest that he has generally refrained from using his lightsaber in the past, or that he has much concern about using it on Tatooine. Remembering that the community appear to consider him a “crazy old wizard”, there’s nothing in the film indicate that that wasn’t part of his “craziness” - occasionally being seen swinging around a weapon that, to the others in the community, probably didn’t even belong to him. Furthermore, if he was so concerned with keeping his use of the lightsaber on the down-low, then he probably would not have whipped it out in the middle of a public bar, when they were being actively pursued by the imperials and even had a run-in with stormtroopers just outside the bar a few moments before – he could’ve defused the situation with Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba just as easily - and less conspicuously -with a surreptitious push or squeeze from the Force to disarm them – or even a mind trick as in the bar in AOTC.

M

That kind of defeats the purpose of hiding. If he's been using his lightsaber whenever he feels like it, as someone pointed out with the cantina, some poor person would be quick to sell him out for a reward. It wouldn't make sense. In the cantina he was done hiding, already recruited Luke, and coming out to help the Rebellion. It didn't matter who saw it at that point. As for using the Force in the cantina, someone is about to kill the last chance to save the galaxy, so I'd say the lightsaber was warranted in that situation.

On one hand, he did such a good job with the lightsaber in the Prequels, it would be wasted if he didn't use his lightsaber in this. Whether you liked Prequel Jedi or not, you can't deny that Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen, and Liam Neeson learned the choreography and lightsaber fighting very well. On the other hand, I would like to see a more covert Obi Wan being sneaky.

On one hand, he did such a good job with the lightsaber in the Prequels, it would be wasted if he didn't use his lightsaber in this. Whether you liked Prequel Jedi or not, you can't deny that Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen, and Liam Neeson learned the choreography and lightsaber fighting very well. On the other hand, I would like to see a more covert Obi Wan being sneaky.

Yeah, but I like the OT style of lightsaber fighting, where they appeared heavier and more difficult to wield. A return to that is one of the few things I think TFA got right.

The Wook

I'd be happy to see them do an Obi-Wan Spin off film. As long as it's not an origin story and it is just a single adventure not directly tied to any of the saga films. Just a true spin off.

Would it be cool to see McGregor use his saber skills in the film, sure? But I don't need to see it used every two seconds. I would much rather see him use the Force in creative ways, or just use his smarts to outwit his opponents. I think it would work better to develop his character rather than have him break out the saber every time there is the faintest hint of danger.

Yeah, but I like the OT style of lightsaber fighting, where they appeared heavier and more difficult to wield. A return to that is one of the few things I think TFA got right.

The Wook

I agree with this. As much as the fights looked cool in the PT,People wouldn't fight like that realistically. It was just fancy gymnastics with lightsabers. The OT Sabers were heavy and looked difficult to handle. You could imagine the devastation if they connected with whoevers body.

Ben

Good video, see when I first saw that rebels episode I too thought Luke was really young.

The internet blew up because Luke is supposed to be the same age as Ezra. That's when Pablo posted confirming he's 16. Gives us a idea of how close to ANH we are when maul dies

I was talking with a friend last night about this news. I sure hope obiwan stays close, and doesn't leave the planet

I also hope the movie isn't based on him watching over Luke. Give us a small movie with a little adventure. I really like the comic where obiwan took down jabbas water taxing thugs.

Maybe incorporate that? Or maybe just a maybe, have cad bane stumble upon this crazy old wizard while he's visiting jabba

Though I don't know what's canon with cad bane anymore seeing the unfinished episode with him and boba...

The Wook

I agree with this. As much as the fights looked cool in the PT,People wouldn't fight like that realistically. It was just fancy gymnastics with lightsabers. The OT Sabers were heavy and looked difficult to handle. You could imagine the devastation if they connected with whoevers body.

Ben

I think Lucas abandoned that idea they were heavy. Katanas aren't heavy and the lightsaber is pretty much a space version. I didn't think TFA was OT dueling at all. It was much faster and looked like they kept the Prequel speed, but took out all the flashy stuff. I think the flashy stuff fit with the idea that the Jedi were becoming arrogant. If Luke was going to train new Jedi he would probably strip out all of that stuff to a purer version. Sort of like what Bruce Lee did when he created Jeet Kune Do.

Part of the reason I can't stand Rebels and Clone Wars for that matter is Dave Filoni keeps coming up with unnecessary Jedi characters for Obi-Wan or Anakin to train. For the Jedi Council to give Anakin an apprentice and yet not give him the rank of Jedi Master in ROTS makes no sense at all. What does the rank of master even mean then?

If they do make an Obi-Wan movie I DO NOT want to see him go off world to train ANOTHER Jedi initiate who miraculously survived Order 66. It would undermine the idea of him training Luke which would be a glaring plot hole in the OT of Luke and Leia being the last of the Jedi.

I'd much rather see Obi-Wan go off on some adventure that was a bit more localized to Tatooinne. I mean if he's a fugitive of the Empire, do you really think he'd risk going off world all the time to go on adventures? It seems to negate the idea of him going into hiding. It would be more interesting seeing him navigate the barren waste lands trying to survive and perhaps fending off Tuskens or other invading locals.

I could imagine it being almost like a western where he just wants to be left alone and he gets reluctantly pulled into some conflict and he goes only to ensure that he can live in peace to live out the last of his days. At least until he can seek out Luke and try to train him in the ways of the Force.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back