Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

I never thought the EU was canon and was totally surprised when people got upset about it.
Same here.

In fact I grew up with the original Marvel Comics. They were fun as a kid, but when they were superceded by the Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Horse comics... no Farts were given, we just enjoyed the new stuff.

Of course there was no Internet back then for people to complain with too..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah funny... I knew this for years, even reading the Zahn Trilogy, that if Lucas wanted to make more movies he could ignore everything done in the EU...
Except that in 2005, he said publicly that there was not going to be a sequel trilogy.
This was Lucasfilm's official message until the takeover by Disney in 2012.
So, for seven years, Lucasfilm's policy was that the Expanded Universe's twentyone years' worth of stories was all there was ever going to be that was going to be set after ROTJ and cover the story of Luke ... and by extension: his family, which would have included also Han and Leia's family etc.

At Celebration Europe II in July 2013, Leland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo said publicly that they were going to clean up the EU and create a single timeline that would be integrated with the new movie and all new material - not that the post-ROTJ EU was going to be thrown out.

Then Lucasfilm turned, with the press release of April 2014 where they specified that the "EU" wasn't going to be followed and that it was going to be renamed to "Legends".

By that time, the EU had established several much loved characters and story arcs ... over twenty years' worth of material that was going to be retconned out of existence.
If someone promises you something and then notifies you that they can't deliver that - then you would normally expect to get something of equal or higher value in return. Instead, they got The Force Awakens, which was viewed by many fans as a huge disappointment on multiple levels.
Is The Force Awakens with a rehashed plot and a "Mary Sue lead" worth more the over a dozen series and over a hundred books that it replaces?
Of course, the answer is very personal - it depends on how much you have invested yourself in the books.
For most fans the answer is probably somewhere in-between "No" and "I don't care".
If you say "Yes", then you probably just dislike the EU -- and you should be honest about that.

Last edited:
What I mean is that he was perfectly happy accepting the licensing revenue, he just wasn't a fan of the direction those stories took. He simply felt no need to try and modify it as he didn't consider it part of "His" story.

I'm sorry, but that's not true. A number of Timothy Zahn's ideas for the Heir to the Empire trilogy were vetoed because they might conflict with George's eventual plans for the Prequels.

Personally, I much preferred the HTTE concept of clones grown too quick and being 'unstable'. The expansion of this idea suited my preconceptions much better than the frankly ridiculous clone army concept GL gave us. Maybe that could be a new thread : based only on exposition given in the OT, [what was your understanding of the clone wars, Jedi and the rise of Vader?]

Personally, I much preferred the HTTE concept of clones grown too quick and being 'unstable'. The expansion of this idea suited my preconceptions much better than the frankly ridiculous clone army concept GL gave us. Maybe that could be a new thread : based only on exposition given in the OT, [what was your understanding of the clone wars, Jedi and the rise of Vader?]

I always assumed the clones would be the bad guys. I envisioned an army of Jedi versus a clone army.

Heavy Assault Walker toy coming out in a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_4887.JPG
    IMG_4887.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 139
I'm sorry, but that's not true. A number of Timothy Zahn's ideas for the Heir to the Empire trilogy were vetoed because they might conflict with George's eventual plans for the Prequels.

That was known at the time, too. For whatever reason pre ANH was off limits, though, Zahn got a bit for the cboath backstory.

As for what they planned in 2005...they may have wanted to do that, then realized to make it so that too much had to go. Better to wipe it all. I mean, regardless, no one waited until 2005 to go read all the books once it was implied they might be canon. The biggest problem with using the books is i'd wager 75%-85% of those who saw TFA didn't read any of them and that 99% didn't reall all of them. Meaning, canon or not, they couldn't really be used in TFA.

Yeah building an army of unstable clones makes much more sense than building an elite army cloned from one of the galaxy's greatest warriors... The only reason Thrawn did that was because it was an expedient way to quickly build an army. There was no need to do that in the Prequels.

Thrawn wasn't building an army and Jango Fett was not the greatest warrior, he was a chump!
I'm talking about what was alluded to in the OT and what the clone wars was, without any knowledge of the disappointing prequels. Building an army of clones to fight for the republic was not how I ever imagined it. Jedi versus clones going crazy and attacking the republic would've made more sense.
Why would it be called the clone wars if they were the 'good guys'? It would have been 'the seperatist wars'

Last edited:
I always assumed the clones would be the bad guys. I envisioned an army of Jedi versus a clone army.

Building an army of clones to fight for the republic was not how I ever imagined it. Jedi versus clones going crazy and attacking the republic would've made more sense. Why would it be called the clone wars if they were the 'good guys'?

I think that's how every boy in the theater imagined it, when Luke asked Obi Wan, "You fought in the Clone Wars?".

The Wook

The clones wars was a huge misstep, apart from the Jedi who was really involved?

A bunch of clones and a bunch of robots.

I know Yoda said, "begone the clone wars has", but literally everyone in the galaxy just agreed to call it that?

Lucky he wasn't being super Yoda with that sentence or it could have been called "wars the clones"

Thrawn wasn't building an army and Jango Fett was not the greatest warrior, he was a chump!
I'm talking about what was alluded to in the OT and what the clone wars was, without any knowledge of the disappointing prequels. Building an army of clones to fight for the republic was not how I ever imagined it. Jedi versus clones going crazy and attacking the republic would've made more sense.
Why would it be called the clone wars if they were the 'good guys'? It would have been 'the seperatist wars'

That's part of the reason a lot of people didn't like the Prequels. Lucas didn't personally go ask everyone what they thought, It doesn't matter one iota what we the fans thought happened before the OT over 22 years. It's Lucas' story to tell. Despite what was on the movie, Jango was one of the greatest warriors in the galaxy, that's why he was chosen as the template. You don't make an army to take down the Jedi Order using anything but the best fighter. Lucas wrote him badly if anything. Thrawn was building an army to defeat the New Republic as well as crew the ships from the Katana fleet. Unless I completely read the books wrong.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back