Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I think what bugs me most about recent movies/TV shows (last 10 years or so ) is killing off major characters. It seems that studios have these grand ideas that "permanently removing" a character adds depth/reality/meaning to the film. It works in *some* cases (Rogue One, Han's death), but for the most part all it does is make you come away from a film or TV show feeling cheated.

The only show(s) that would benefit from killing characters off are reality shows. (Start with KUWTK, please!).:lol

Fair enough. I guess I'm easy. I don't care about their nationality or race; as long as I think they're attractive, naked is good enough. ;)

Naked is always a good start :thumbsup Dont get me wrong i love Cali boho surfer girls, some Russian/Eastern European too.. and Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, i like a lil of most tbh hahaaaaaaa! Just that slightly stoned French look is my favourite. Some French accents are horrible though, but some make me go into Rutting season :lol

Another flashlight annoyance and this may have been mentioned already... Someone shines a flashlight on a wall or object and there nothing more than a spot on that particular object. No ambient light is ever seen...

Oh yeah, like a super focused spot light. And conversely, a character will light a match or a single candle, and the whole room lights up like the fourth of July.

I think what bugs me most about recent movies/TV shows (last 10 years or so ) is killing off major characters. It seems that studios have these grand ideas that "permanently removing" a character adds depth/reality/meaning to the film. It works in *some* cases (Rogue One, Han's death), but for the most part all it does is make you come away from a film or TV show feeling cheated.

The only show(s) that would benefit from killing characters off are reality shows. (Start with KUWTK, please!).:lol

I hated when they killed Carter in Person of Interest but it did make for some very dramatic viewing.

Sometimes they kill off a character because the actor wants to leave the show and don't want the actor coming back. This isn't something new as Mash killed off Henry Blake back in 1975 or so when McClain, not sure on the spelling, Stevenson wanted to leave the show.

Oh yeah, like a super focused spot light. And conversely, a character will light a match or a single candle, and the whole room lights up like the fourth of July.

Old movies were notorious for doing that exact thing. I always enjoy watching a character light a single match or single candle and you see a spotlight (off camera) flicker to life and the cast shadows are as if that single match = 1,000,000 candle power! Annoying but great stuff! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Game of Thrones did it VERY well. It was shocking and in some cases totally unexpected. :)

Can't remember if it's been said yet, but when people are talking on the phone, and the other party hangs up, and then you hear the familiar dial tone. Ever since the first time someone hung up on me, and it didn't happen that way, I roll my eyes every time I see it in a show.

Can't remember if it's been said yet, but when people are talking on the phone, and the other party hangs up, and then you hear the familiar dial tone. Ever since the first time someone hung up on me, and it didn't happen that way, I roll my eyes every time I see it in a show.
I can't help but think that some day it'll be a trivia question why they call it "dialing." It makes me feel my age knowing how many folks have never used a rotary phone before.

When Hollywood anoints a specific ethnic actor to play just about all the big roles associated with their ethnic group. e.g. Ken Jeong to play all the Korean/Chinese comedy roles.

Currently it's Dev Patel playing every major Indian character in Hollywood. I'd like to think that breaking into Hollywood should mean the doors have opened up for other Indian actors (SRK, anyone?) in Hollywood. But it only seems to open up the door for one at a time - and when their popularity wanes the door closes. It feels uncomfortably close to "tokenism."

Last edited:
Protagonists who keep telling cops "____ is in danger. ____ is a dangerous villain. You'll only make things worse by getting involved. You can't do anything", expecting said cops to believe them, and get pissed at cops for doing their jobs

Protagonists who keep telling cops "____ is in danger. ____ is a dangerous villain. You'll only make things worse by getting involved. You can't do anything", expecting said cops to believe them, and get pissed at cops for doing their jobs

To further that thought little - and I know it's the basis of entire movies so it's kind of hard to argue it - but when Susie Q Public begs the cops to do something, they tell her ma'am, don't do anything yourself, leave it to the professionals, only for her to ignore all advice, and go strike out on her own, with zero training, or skill set, and somehow manages to save the world anyway. I mean, I can see if it's someone with a background, but movies where the hero has basically zero chance of lasting five minutes with a bad guy..

(also, every time someone says "you won't last five minutes out there". Five minutes is kind of easy to survive in almost any condition, minus like, a volcano..unless your name is Joe.)

To further that thought little - and I know it's the basis of entire movies so it's kind of hard to argue it - but when Susie Q Public begs the cops to do something, they tell her ma'am, don't do anything yourself, leave it to the professionals, only for her to ignore all advice, and go strike out on her own, with zero training, or skill set, and somehow manages to save the world anyway. I mean, I can see if it's someone with a background, but movies where the hero has basically zero chance of lasting five minutes with a bad guy..

(also, every time someone says "you won't last five minutes out there". Five minutes is kind of easy to survive in almost any condition, minus like, a volcano..unless your name is Joe.)
I am pretty sure I already mentioned this, but something similar is when someone is told to stay somewhere while another person leaves for a while. You can almost guarantee that a minute after that other person leaves the first person will decide that have to make a quick trip to do or get something.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

I have another thing to add:

Star Wars.

I'm sick of seeing that. Especially in movie form.

f178aeac8187da6eea47d639c23d4a6f.jpg

Last edited:
The smiley at tge end of my post wasn't clear enough, I suppose.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've dealt with hate from SW fans here for daring to voice my opinion before; I definitely couldn't see the sarcasm.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way, as am I for taking it as such.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back