ANH R2-D2 Build (Weathered CS:R spec)

I'm on a roll so I went ahead and installed the 4-40 threaded inserts into the frame.

Xj3Y6gOl.jpg

Skins are on. I spent a good amount of time lining everything up and it worked out pretty well.

4vpGkOsh.jpg

Last edited:
I've been working on the skirt for the last couple of days. Got it all trimmed up and installed 1/4-20 bolts to hold it to the frame. This is made from a really cool composite material. The guy who makes these parked a car on one to show how strong they are.

Ev7uh3Ph.jpg

nOccoTAh.jpg

Final installation on the frame. Just needs some paint.

EBURES7h.jpg

Last edited:
When you painted your frame did you tape off the rings and uprights outer edges? Curious about how much tolerance your skins had when you painted the frame.

Man U are making serious progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know! I've done more in the last two weeks than I have in months.

When you painted your frame did you tape off the rings and uprights outer edges? Curious about how much tolerance your skins had when you painted the frame.

No, I just painted the whole thing. After getting the skins, I had to reshape a few areas of the frame so that they would sit flush anyway. I ended up doing a lot of sanding. If anything, a few coats of paint helped.

I love this. I will be taking notes from your thread. I've always wanted to build one but I'm holding off until I get my list of blasters and lightsabers done before I think about starting.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Not a lot more progress, but I was able to paint the skirt and I'm happy with it. I left some imperfections to add a little character. Don't want things to be too nice now.

w3w0qWKh.jpg

Hopefully I can paint the skins soon. That should be a big step forward.

Started to work on the legs again. So much filling and sanding. These are Baltic birch like the frame, glued up in layers. There's a channel down the insides for wires.

5BqLmMmh.jpg

You know what I say "sand, sand, sand"

It all pays off in the end. 120, 220, 320, 400, then 600 wet. Comes out like glass ;)

You know what I say "sand, sand, sand"

It all pays off in the end. 120, 220, 320, 400, then 600 wet. Comes out like glass ;)

Danny is right... Even though it's a pain in the middle. LOL!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back