Things you're tired of seeing in movies

This brings up one of my dislikes. Characters that are supposed to be America using British references, such as Torch for Flashlight and Lift for Elevator.
Sorry if this is a double post, I don't see my first reply. If the character has been living there long enough they will use those and other words and phrases.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Here's one that's bugged me for a while and I was just reminded of when watching one of the recent episodes of Agents of SHIELD. That's roadblocks/checkpoints and people (our hero usually) driving on the road, sees one off in the distance, stops and turns around, all the while the people manning the roadblock/checkpoint don't seem to notice this car doing so. I would think that stopping and turning around from a roadblock would seem pretty suspicious to the people manning it and they would call out to the car to try to get them to stop and allowed themselves to be checked. It's also very convenient that when this happens they're almost always the last person in line and there's no other cars coming up behind, yet there are several cars in front of them. If a street is that frequented that there's at several cars ahead of them that have been stopped what are the odds that they (our hero) is the last one to go down that road for a good while?

Any line of dialogue that ends in the word "people". "We are through the looking glass here, people"
Any film where the marketing hype has been more professionally planned and executed than the film. Alien : Covenant has reached that point.
Any film with Tom Cruise in it. (Sorry. Currently overrated. Early stuff was very good though).

Here's one that's bugged me for a while and I was just reminded of when watching one of the recent episodes of Agents of SHIELD. That's roadblocks/checkpoints and people (our hero usually) driving on the road, sees one off in the distance, stops and turns around, all the while the people manning the roadblock/checkpoint don't seem to notice this car doing so. I would think that stopping and turning around from a roadblock would seem pretty suspicious to the people manning it and they would call out to the car to try to get them to stop and allowed themselves to be checked. It's also very convenient that when this happens they're almost always the last person in line and there's no other cars coming up behind, yet there are several cars in front of them. If a street is that frequented that there's at several cars ahead of them that have been stopped what are the odds that they (our hero) is the last one to go down that road for a good while?

Back%2Bit%2Bup.gif

1. Cinematic universes
Even as a child, I knew the concepts of OMG THIS GUY MEETS THIS ONE!1!! was pure fanservice and I was not impressed. I've always cared more about story integrity than catering to fans. In my mind, the cardinal sin of writing is allowing outside influences to impact a story... which is 100% what this concept stems from.
The point is, some franchises simply cannot exist together, so don't even try.
And needless to say, we get far too much of this concept these days.

2. Pointless sequels
Goes hand in hand with the first point too. There's nothing worse than sequels to films that never needed them, and then more after that. Even if the film was good, surely a large group of sequels will immediately devalue the original film and decay any potential it once had AS a franchise.
It's okay for things to just end. I know why studios do it, but I have zero clue why people have such a strong aversion to it.

Last edited:
This has probably been said, but for me it's:

1. comic book landings (character lands on all three with a thud and one arm ****** back.
2. Trench coat badass firing two guns as they walk the scene.
3. Instant slow-mo shot of badass doing a Matrix move.

those three things will stop me from seeing a movie if I see it in a trailer.

I may get dogpiled here, but I am kind of tired seeing old Stan Lee doing his cameo in every Marvel movie. It was cute the first couple times, now it is distracting and lame.

No Subtitles .. So Hollywood, how about some hot French girls with perky ****? :popcorn
Over here in Luxembourg, ALL movies are subtitled. But that's because the whole population is fluent in 4-5 languages and movies are shown in their original language. Most movies are in English of course, and they are subtitled german and french.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes, that comic book landing is ridiculous and overused - I am pretty sure that wouldn't be the ideal way to land, but I guess a rolling fall wouldn't look so god-like.

"Join with me and we'll rule ______ together." (or some variation thereof).

My wife made me watch Fantastic Beasts with her and, when that line came up, I thought of posting this.

Was this a trope in 1980 when Vader said that to Luke? Did it all begin with ESB?

I may get dogpiled here, but I am kind of tired seeing old Stan Lee doing his cameo in every Marvel movie. It was cute the first couple times, now it is distracting and lame.

I kind of agree... But "Tony Stank" was FUNNY! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of flashlights, and I'm sure this has been mentioned, but it happens all the time. Character goes into dimly lit area with flashlight. The light will flicker and go out. Character bangs on it a couple of times. Like clockwork.

Another flashlight annoyance and this may have been mentioned already... Someone shines a flashlight on a wall or object and there nothing more than a spot on that particular object. No ambient light is ever seen...

"Join with me and we'll rule ______ together." (or some variation thereof).

My wife made me watch Fantastic Beasts with her and, when that line came up, I thought of posting this.

Was this a trope in 1980 when Vader said that to Luke? Did it all begin with ESB?
I don't know if it was a "trope" in 1980, but some variation of the villain attempting to convince the hero to join the "bad" side has been used for decades, maybe centuries.

Because i have a thing for hot naked French girls, talking hot French language .. But i cant talk French so need subtitles :D
Fair enough. I guess I'm easy. I don't care about their nationality or race; as long as I think they're attractive, naked is good enough. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back