Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

So, space penguins and turtle people in robes. OK. I was hoping for better aliens. Guess we'll see. The turtle people are well done. The cute space penguins, well I don't like Star Wars when the cute shows up in it. But we'll see how it plays into the story, the cute.

I want Luke to be angry, but I also think he needs to dish out some serious pain in this film. I understand that "revenge" isn't a concept Jedi's adhere to, but Kylo killed Han, and somebody needs to bear the consequences of Han Solo being killed. Luke should be the one to deliver those consequences.

Luke should be very powerful, and I'm interested in seeing what a very powerful Jedi who doesn't spin like a little green top can do when they are angry and unleashed. I'm not talking about video games, I'm talking about Luke Skywalker as portrayed by Mark Hammil in a star wars film.

I am not really expecting to see Luke pulling entire Star Destroyers out of orbit and making them crash into an ocean, but how many of us would lose our minds if he was that powerful?

Yeah your right, that stupid Giant Talking Teddybear with a massive flea collar is so goofy... Star Wars is DEAD im not watching these ever again, WHAT were they thinking? are they making these films for KIDS now too!? :eek

It's a single image with no context. I'll wait until the movie comes out to decide if I have a problem with it. Until then, I'm giving all this stuff the benefit of the doubt.
Guys, you've got some "straw man fallacy" going on here, exaggerating my claim. Big time.
I said I was worried. Not that I had written it off. Of course I will hope for the best and see it.

Guys, you've got some "straw man fallacy" going on here, exaggerating my claim. Big time.
I said I was worried. Not that I had written it off. Of course I will hope for the best and see it.

I didn't exaggerate anything. I was just trying to tell you that I'm keeping an open mind. It's too soon to be freaking out about this stuff. Sorry if I came off as harsh. Didn't mean to.

Why, Wook, do I detect a glimmer of hope in your voice?

Hope springs eternal.

I am not really expecting to see Luke pulling entire Star Destroyers out of orbit and making them crash into an ocean, but how many of us would lose our minds if he was that powerful?

I would lose my mind. But for the opposite reason you're suggesting.

I know, I know...size matters not...blah, blah, blah. But there are limits to what I want to see a Force-using character...any Force-using character, good or evil...be able to do with his powers. Too much power is boring. Look how boring and annoying Bran has suddenly become, now that he sees and knows everything.

The Wook

If Luke goes to the Dark Side I'd be done with new SW. He already faced down the most powerful Sith Lord in recent history and didn't fall. He veered towards it when he attacked Vader, but didn't give in. So he's going to go to the Dark Side to fight some whiny upstart? I guess it would fit with sitting around for 40 years and not getting anything done.

Also having Luke go dark to fight the Dark Side is like converting the US Marines to suicide bombers to fight the terrorists.

If Luke goes to the Dark Side I'd be done with new SW. He already faced down the most powerful Sith Lord in recent history and didn't fall. He veered towards it when he attacked Vader, but didn't give in. So he's going to go to the Dark Side to fight some whiny upstart? I guess it would fit with sitting around for 40 years and not getting anything done.

Also having Luke go dark to fight the Dark Side is like converting the US Marines to suicide bombers to fight the terrorists.

Luke isn't going Dark, chill..

Luke going Dark would at least be interesting. It actually would make sense for him to lean dark. He was young in ROTJ. He didn't know much of anything. Life changes your perspective on the whole concept of good and evil and their inherent natures. Taking him dark would take a somewhat simplistic story and mature it. Put some meat on the bone. Seeing Luke veer that way would be awesome. Maybe not full sith. But over the whole Jedi thing. Realizing that light and dark are halves of the whole and maybe drawing power from both.

Last edited:
I think it has to be different than the dark side. I keep hearing "Grey Jedi" and that's not really what I'm thinking.

I want him dark... but not necessarily "Oh I'm a sith lord now"

But he needs to be lost... loss of faith or hope. He isn't evil, but he's "done". Maybe a little unhinged. Angry. But not full on, "oh I'd kill my own father" dark side.

I guess in a way, he'd be Han Solo in ANH... not a good guy, not a bad guy. "Doesn't care about anything or anybody".

I'm just talking out my ass, but what I'm trying to say is NOT on the dark side, but not a hero.

There's nothing interesting about Luke being a hero in this movie.

And didn't Kirshner or someone want Luke to go full on Darth evil at the very end of Jedi... so that possibility did cross their minds at a point - the groundwork was laid (force choking - threats of violence on Jabba)
I'm just glad that Rian Johnson seems to disagree with you. "...Luke Skywalker believes he’s doing the right thing." Han in ANH knows he wasn't doing the right thing - he was doing the right thing for Han, but not for anyone else... Luke does the best thing for the big picture. He appears to be having some issues in The Last Jedi, but I think he comes around to being the Luke Skywalker we (sorta) expect. Seeing Luke go from recluse to hero and the story behind his isolation might just be the foundation that this trilogy is based on.

Luke might not be swinging the lightsaber and become the alpha-hero of these last two movies; but, I think we'll see something that makes sense. Turning him to the darkside just repeats the already too repeated storyline. Repeating the fall to the darkside will just be the "been there, done that."

I'm just glad that Rian Johnson seems to disagree with you. "...Luke Skywalker believes he’s doing the right thing."

Yeah but a lot can be read in the "believes he's doing the right thing"

By Han staying out of their little rebellion, it was the right thing for Han, but also the believed that was still the right thing - If you believe wizards and rebellions are a lost cause, why risk your own life.

But I need to state I don't think he's "Dark Side" Luke, just going back to the reluctant hero kinda thing. Everyone wants Luke to grab his green lightsaber and kick ass, but his right thing may be "I'm not getting involved, cuz Jedi and Sith are the problem, so I renounce it. Now go away."

And then Rey's all "I need training! I have all this power now and I'm a target"

It kind of becomes a Mathilda/Leon relationship.

I dunno.

Just no Hero Luke... no Sith Luke.

Just surprise me.

And I'm not trying to debate, just give thoughts. I'm open to pretty much everything, but I also know how quickly a story can fall apart when everyone starts from a happy place.

No one wants to see another Empire, story wise, but Empire knew to start the rebellion back on their heals.

Really I'm just rambling at this point.

Hey, how great is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2?

Perhaps now he's battling something more powerful...guilt.

The Wook

Father killing guilt... Nephew is a killer now guilt.

That's what I want in my Luke. FLAWS.

When I heard rumors Han was a high ranking general with his own star destroyer type ship in TFA I was completely uninterested.

Back to smuggling, Running from a failed marriage and failure as a father... THAT'S the stuff.

Father killing guilt... Nephew is a killer now guilt.

That's what I want in my Luke. FLAWS.

When I heard rumors Han was a high ranking general with his own star destroyer type ship in TFA I was completely uninterested.

Back to smuggling, Running from a failed marriage and failure as a father... THAT'S the stuff.

Agreed. Your SWIQ's on a roll, Neo!

I'll just add this: the guilt of Han's death.

There's no more destructive power to the human psyche than guilt.

The Wook

Last edited:
And I'm not trying to debate, just give thoughts. I'm open to pretty much everything, but I also know how quickly a story can fall apart when everyone starts from a happy place.

No one wants to see another Empire, story wise, but Empire knew to start the rebellion back on their heals.

Really I'm just rambling at this point.

Hey, how great is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2?
We might not be exactly on the same page - but, I think we're at least in the same chapter.

GOTG2 was so much fun - I liked WW a lot, too - but, I GOTG2 was better in my book.

We might not be exactly on the same page - but, I think we're at least in the same chapter.

GOTG2 was so much fun - I liked WW a lot, too - but, I GOTG2 was better in my book.

I only bring up GOTG2 cuz I honestly haven't felt that excited - joyful excitement - at Sci Fi since I was a kid watching Star Wars... and I didn't even love the first GOTG.

Really the only thing so far that truly got me excited a bout this film was the shot of Fin and that new girl dressed in First Order gear.

But then I got excited at the same shot in Rogue One.

Rian responds to someone who was upset about Porgs. His original tweets (which he then deleted) were along the lines of .. "blatant example of studio money grabbing" "don't say it's integral to the story and insult our intelligence" yadda yadda yadda.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/895653655403036672

36098039250_9ddf264d24_o.jpg

Whether the movie is suitable for a 7 year old to watch.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/895829659517988864

36495000395_844d52f1b2_o.jpg

Rian Johnson and Mark Hamill on avoiding spoilers for The Last Jedi

36448828286_3f2d2c1ebf_o.jpg

I only bring up GOTG2 cuz I honestly haven't felt that excited - joyful excitement - at Sci Fi since I was a kid watching Star Wars... and I didn't even love the first GOTG.

Really the only thing so far that truly got me excited a bout this film was the shot of Fin and that new girl dressed in First Order gear.

But then I got excited at the same shot in Rogue One.
Simply, I thought GOTG2 had a "meh" story (at best). But, the movie wasn't about the story - it was character and even spectacle driven. It's still one of the top 2 movies I've seen this year (if not still my favorite). It's just so much fun that the story doesn't really need to propel it, it just has everything else going for it - characters, dialog, music...

With Star Wars, I just need the music to get goose bumps. Luke talking, the layered voices from past movies... lightsabers are all bonuses that fuel my excitement. The trailer didn't show us a whole that was truly new or exciting, but it was still Star Wars and sometimes that's enough.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back