Homemade Spidey Suits: Show Off/Open Build Thread

Question on the Mask... I've never sewn a mask before (and have limited mask experience). Is anyone reinforcing the inside of the hood (nose bridge to mouth) with anything sturdy (plastic et al) to let the fleece lay smoothly? Or is everybody just slinging on those goggles and fitting their hoods over it?

Can you actually BREATHE through hoodie fleece? I imagine it could get pretty claustrophobic and hot in there.

Also-- any new sources for socks? The wool ones previously listed are no longer for sale in red.

Last questions.. are the shoulders of the red hoodie raw or does Peter hem them? And has anyone thought about using a blue long sleeved crewneck instead of a legit, fleece sweatshirt under the red hoodie? It would be more form fitting and lightweight so you don't pass out from heat stroke.

Any ladies doing a homecoming Spidey here?

Thanks in advance.

Kcail1

Question on the Mask... I've never sewn a mask before (and have limited mask experience). Is anyone reinforcing the inside of the hood (nose bridge to mouth) with anything sturdy (plastic et al) to let the fleece lay smoothly? Or is everybody just slinging on those goggles and fitting their hoods over it?

Can you actually BREATHE through hoodie fleece? I imagine it could get pretty claustrophobic and hot in there.

Also-- any new sources for socks? The wool ones previously listed are no longer for sale in red.

Last questions.. are the shoulders of the red hoodie raw or does Peter hem them? And has anyone thought about using a blue long sleeved crewneck instead of a legit, fleece sweatshirt under the red hoodie? It would be more form fitting and lightweight so you don't pass out from heat stroke.

Thanks in advance.

Kcail1

No reinforcement for the mask needed. As long as it's the right shape (especially around the chin) and tight enough, it will look like it's supposed to. I'm pretty sure they didn't use any sort of faceshell when Tom Holland was in the costume as the fabric is so thick it doesn't need one.

As for the goggles, the movie mask has the goggles adhered on the inside so it can be put on/removed all in one piece. I know many people (including myself) have them separate and put the goggles on, then the mask over top, fitting the goggles through the holes. Once the mask is on, you can breathe okay, although obviously more difficult than without it. It DOES get very hot though, especially with the rest of the costume on, so just be aware of that.

I don't know about any other sources for the socks.

Not sure what you mean about the shoulders being raw or hemmed...they're cut off and left to fray and curl. The blue undershirt is most definitely NOT a sweatshirt. It's much thinner and more form fitting than that. It seems to be a fairly standard t-shirt fabric or maybe a heavy jersey knit. I'm pretty sure the pants are made from the same material. If you're going for a really accurate costume, the blue undersuit, hoodie, and mask are all custom made.

Thanks in advance.

Kcail1

What I did with mine is cut out some eyeholes on the mask, put the goggles on, and taped it around to get it to stay in the correct position. Then i superglued the mask to the goggles.

I've had no breathing issues with the mask on at a con. The convention venue was fairly cool, probably 23 degrees Celsius. I only had to take off the mask in extremely crowded areas where there's less air.

I'm pretty sure that it's a women's fit red hoodie. The way it fits Tom seems like it. Also looking at some pictures, the sleeves just basically cut off with no hems. They're cut probably an inch away from the seamline.

Would anyone be able to tell me how wide the wristbands are? I haven't bought mine yet, but I'm working on webshooters and cartridges and I want to get the proportions right.

So I'm pretty late to the game. Always wanted to do a Spiderman costume, but I'm not the right shape for it. This on could work though, and it looks really cool. I'm going to pick up the gloves, sweat bands, shirt, and pants soon, but I guess I missed out on the shoes. Does anybody know where to find them still in size 11?

So I'm pretty late to the game. Always wanted to do a Spiderman costume, but I'm not the right shape for it. This on could work though, and it looks really cool. I'm going to pick up the gloves, sweat bands, shirt, and pants soon, but I guess I missed out on the shoes. Does anybody know where to find them still in size 11?

I would check Amazon and eBay, but I think they're pretty much sold out everywhere. I know when I bought my shoes they were the last pair in my size. To which I jumped on them instantly. But, for a good alternative I know sockwa does sell the same shoe without a sole and they also sell hitop version with the sole. So maybe a pair of either May work if you want to glue your own sole onto a pair of them. If you do end up using water shoes though, I would highly recommend using a pair of inserts with them like Dr Sholes. After walking all over downtown San Diego for SDCC my feet were extremely sore, though the shoes held up great! I picked up a pair afterward and did a day of walking in them and I didn't have any pain in them. Something I also recommend for the costume, though I am used to really hot costumes, for others I would look into making your own undersuit from a thinner material because sweatpants, a sweatshirt, and a hoodie was a bit warm at the con. I eventually plan on making my own undersuit I just need to find the right material first and in the proper color. I'll be making a build thread for those pieces when I finally get all of my materials together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that it's most likely custom made, but these seem to be close alternatives. Women's hoodies because the way it fits Tom's body and the length of it as well is considered. It's really hard to find hoodies with the same pockets as the screen used

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Light...39&sr=8-46&keywords=women's+zip+up+hoodie+red

https://www.amazon.com/J-TOMSON-Fre...r=8-80&keywords=women's+zip+up+hoodie+fit+red

Here's one that I found
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BZV0A4...I15W7GDL15JL2D&colid=2GX53K3I9R0EQ&th=1&psc=1

Yes, it is indeed GIRO gloves. But it seems to be an old model, the following is not the exact one but the GEL logo is the same.

giro-bravo-gel-padding-cycling-half-gloves-red-black-500x620.jpg

Yes, it is indeed GIRO gloves. But it seems to be an old model, the following is not the exact one but the GEL logo is the same.

View attachment 748376

Probably the gloves were customized. These seem to be the exact gloves (in terms of the palms). They probably used the black variant and screen printed the webbing pattern (it looks screen printed) onto the red fabric and sewed that on top of the back of the hand, or replaced it completely

I'm quite certain that they gutted the gloves for the paddings and the rest are custom.

IMG_5068.PNG

Based on the gap of the paddings from photos that I've seen, it should be the Giro Bravo.

20170727_153552.png

BP90069396-red-black.jpg

Yeah :lol basically everything I got was unbranded/generic. $75 can get you on a shopping spree in the Philippines that ends with you having two bags full of unbranded yet somewhat decent quality clothes

Oh haha, makes sense :lol
Also wanna say that your web cartridges are fantastic!! I'm doing a scratch build using mostly sintra too, and it's tough going. It's so easy to make mistakes with it

Oh haha, makes sense :lol
Also wanna say that your web cartridges are fantastic!! I'm doing a scratch build using mostly sintra too, and it's tough going. It's so easy to make mistakes with it

Thanks! I believe I mentioned before that they were made by Troy Cavalieri. And I agree, sintra is really hard to work with. Accidentally scratch it and it's carved in there forever.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back