Y-wing decals

Lee S

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Much like the X-wings, some of the Y's had a few decals here and there. Many are very hard to see or even notice, but they are there.
Has anyone done much research into them? I really can't find any.

So I'm starting with Red Jammer, as I'm building that right now. Based on the Chronicles book, these are the ones I see so far.
RJ_Decals_v01.png

Some of them (Red and White) are obviously a larger decal that's been chopped up. I think parts of the same decal were used on the large Falcon.

L

Lee, if you check out the Falcon's Decal Survey files hosted on my local modeling club's website, there is a spreadsheet that lists (as much as is known) the sources for the decals. I'm certain the AMT Watkins trailer is cited there as I recognize the use of the black hood stripes, the manufacturer's black & silver plates (lower right corner), the tax stickers plate next to them, plus the Fruehauf and Cummins stickers. I believe the blue & white Florida license plate was also used (trimmed) on something I'd looked at recently (TIE fighter perhaps) so it was definitely a well-used decal sheet. Thanks for the nice scan of the sheet, btw!

Oh, the website again is:
http://hamptonroadsscalemodelers.com/

Follow the 'New' link or check under the Tools>Reference & Reviews tab for the relevant articles.

Regards, Robert

Just an afterthought, but has anyone considered organizing a Decal Survey for the Y-Wings as we did for the Falcon? I know it would be tougher than the Falcon on one hand (more than one model was made so variations) but perhaps simpler on the other because there are fewer decals involved (and looks like a lot of stencilling that probably came from an aftermarket - aka Microscale - sheet vice a kit sheet.)

For example, Lee's first post showed a bunch of exemplars but their locations are not all that clear because they are 'out of context', both with regard to location but also which Y-Wing they are from (perhaps even multiple models?)

Regards, Robert

That's basically what I want to do. Red Jammer seems to have the most decals, and as it's the first Y made seems a good place to start.
I'll make a better map with more decals and their locations shortly. That was just a 'lets see if anyone spots any' image.

Just an afterthought, but has anyone considered organizing a Decal Survey for the Y-Wings as we did for the Falcon? I know it would be tougher than the Falcon on one hand (more than one model was made so variations) but perhaps simpler on the other because there are fewer decals involved (and looks like a lot of stencilling that probably came from an aftermarket - aka Microscale - sheet vice a kit sheet.)

For example, Lee's first post showed a bunch of exemplars but their locations are not all that clear because they are 'out of context', both with regard to location but also which Y-Wing they are from (perhaps even multiple models?)

Regards, Robert

Hey Lee, I can recognize a couple of the decal sheets used right off the bat...it looks like most of these were also used on the 5 foot Falcon...I was involved with the Millennium Falcon decal survey as well...Robert may recognize my name in reverse ;)

Here are two sheets I see decals from...

MS_87_24.JPG

MS_87_23.JPG

...Hope that helps...If I see more I will I let you know.

Lee, looks like a most of these are from the Microscale sheets (alot of decals found from microscale sheets on the falcon as well)...I'm not sure if this one in particular was used but there are several versions like this at several scales so would need to compare sizes to find the exact microscale sheet used, but I do recognize the yellow decal as the same text as this one.

MSI-48-0666-3.jpg

Last edited:
Yup; like I said... hey man, good to see you (well, see your 'verse') One of the MF survey artifacts is a collection of exemplars, coded to match the spreadsheet which describes the design, its location on the Falcon, and its source (if known) All the stuff needed to generate or obtain (if the source is still available) the needed designs. Of course, if anyone has some findings applicable to the gaps in the Falcon survey, interested in that too! Looking through the sample images will show many were used the same on the Y-Wing (such as the little blue and yellow triangle which is trimmed from the Equity diamond design on the 'Commodity Traders' Microscale sheet (one of the sample source scans from the decal survey, btw.)

Regards, Robert

The same Microscale HO #87-2 Gothic Style RR Data sheet was used on the Buck Rogers Thunderfighter. So that's handy :D

MASSIVE thanks for these pointers. I was just starting to go through the Falcon spreadsheet.

L

Lee, looks like a most of these are from the Microscale sheets (alot of decals found from microscale sheets on the falcon as well)...I'm not sure if this one in particular was used but there are several versions like this at several scales so would need to compare sizes to find the exact microscale sheet used, but I do recognize the yellow decal as the same text as this one.

View attachment 732572

Well my decals arrived from Microscale, and....... They are the wrong scale :-/
Not sure about the 5ft Falcon, but the early X (Blue leader) and Y (Red Jammer) need the small N-scale versions.
So it's sheets 60-23 and 60-24 that were used.

I still need to check the 'HO #87-2 Gothic Style RR Data sheet' and see if the smaller version was used.

L

What references would have images for Gold squadron? I can's see any decals in the pics I have beyond the tie kill. But I think that was free handed.

Thanks to the rest of this thread, I have all of the decals sourced for my Gold Leader...all but one.

Does anyone know where this one comes from?

GL_1.2.jpg

Edit: After some digging on the Microscale Website. I found these guys...they all look like good possibilities. Once I get them and I can confirm which one is right, I'll update the thread.

60-1223
871223.jpg

60-1239
871239.jpg

60-1129
871129.jpg

60-1128
871128.jpg

Last edited:
What other decals did you find for your Gold Leader?

All the others are already listed here. From what I have seen, there really aren't that many decals on Gold Leader at all.

On this sheet, I used a few bits of the COSDEN logo, and then part of the smaller TLdx logo.
MS_87_24.JPG

I've added a few others here and there from this sheet just to make things interesting...just a few of the instructional labels around the underside and on the nacelles.
MSI-48-0666-3.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back