Show off your RE weathered Obi sabers!

Today is the day! My Obi kit has finally arrived. It looks so beautiful as is, but I've got to re-weather it of course for that personal flair. This thread could not have popped back up at a better time!

I'll definitely be using some tips and tricks posted in this thread, hope it ends up looking as nice as some of your sabers. :)

Awesome. Any pics? Here's one I snapped today.

OK, here is mine with Spirit of Ob1 crystal chamber:

Click on the picture for larger image

IMG_0034 (2).JPG

image.jpeg

Sure thing @matty matt

Like I said, I just got it the other day so I haven't had a chance to do much weathering. Just beat the grenade up a little bit and did a quick ammonia vapor bath on the wind vane. Feel like they both need to go darker as well.

Waiting patiently for the clamp which should be arriving sometime in March!

Got to still loctite that balance pipe down, but I'll wait until the weathering is finished.

I'm also waiting on another clamp, one that'll actually have GRAFLEX on it. Already been in discussions with Roman about it, everything is cool :thumbsup. & I appreciate why he sent them out as he did. I LOVE​ this thing though! I also just ordered a new set of genuine transistors from the junkyard, should be here this week. Once the new clamp arrives, I might try the ball peen hammer thing on the grenade, to age it a bit more. But, it scares the hell out of me. Spheric Thor, what did you use to get that look on the clamp? Is that a genuine GRAFLEX clamp? Or did you age it? Looks awesome!
Here's mine.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

& here it is next to my MR As First Built By
image.jpeg
& here it is, in its current home, next to all my other works in progress.
image.jpeg

Russellsch,

The clamp is one of Roman's. Here is what I did and it is fairly easy. I used a piece of a natural sponge and Golden's Acrylic art paint (color N2 neutral Gray). It comes in a tube. I put a little bit on the sponge and dab it on the clamp in various spots. After it dried I over-coated it with matte clear spray. I was able to get the look I wanted on the first try, but what is good about using that type of paint is you don't like the look you can rinse it off before it drys and try again.

Chris

Russellsch,

The clamp is one of Roman's. Here is what I did and it is fairly easy. I used a piece of a natural sponge and Golden's Acrylic art paint (color N2 neutral Gray). It comes in a tube. I put a little bit on the sponge and dab it on the clamp in various spots. After it dried I over-coated it with matte clear spray. I was able to get the look I wanted on the first try, but what is good about using that type of paint is you don't like the look you can rinse it off before it drys and try again.

Chris

Really?! Well, it's a job well done sir! Thank you :cheers

Sweet sabers guys. They look great. I actually just ordered some lower profile transistors so we'll see how that works out.

For a comparison of tall and short components, these are low ones.
DSCN3239.jpg
I don't use the solid spacer anymore, as I now have a real booster and flash hider in there, but this should give you an idea of DC Amplifier height

Attachments

• DSCN3173.jpg
    DSCN3173.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1287.JPG
    IMG_1287.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
For a comparison of tall and short components, these are low ones.
View attachment 592257
I don't use the solid spacer anymore, as I now have a real booster and flash hider in there, but this should give you an idea of DC Amplifier height

thd9791 if you still have those amber Armitage handwheels drop me a pm, I'd REALLY like to get my hands on one!
David.

thd9791 if you still have those amber Armitage handwheels drop me a pm, I'd REALLY like to get my hands on one!
David.

Hey, it's posted in another thread, I got these vacu-metalized to replace the Millenia Handwheel I had on it originally. In the months since then, the 80s handwheel has been sold off and redbutton and I own the two you see here :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I think those are a perfect height ;)

Yeah, I'm really happy with them. So much better than the other ones I had. Once I got them drilled out (what a pain) I epoxied screws in.

Very nice, Matty. Can you share your technique on the emitter weathering?

-Ss

Roman can take credit for most of that. It came to me weathered by him. I think I tweaked it with some Birchwood Casey chemicals but I really didn't do too much.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back