Star Wars: questions you've always wanted answers for

The time from ANH to ROTJ was what, five years? Considering that it took the Empire from ROTS (I'd say right after AOTC maybe) to ANH to have the Death Star operational, which is 18-20 years, I doubt the Empire could build DS2 in five years.

The time from ANH to ROTJ was what, five years? Considering that it took the Empire from ROTS (I'd say right after AOTC maybe) to ANH to have the Death Star operational, which is 18-20 years, I doubt the Empire could build DS2 in five years.

thats exactly what i was figuring... if it took them 15 years (just a example) to build 1 death star, how could they build a even bigger one in a quarter of the time?

Because once you build one of something, the second one is always much easier.
Also, it wasn't finished, at least not structurally.

Because once you build one of something, the second one is always much easier.
Also, it wasn't finished, at least not structurally.

i agree with you 100% on that, but wasn't the death star II 2 or 3 times the size of the death star 1?

I've always wondered that too. Looked like him but didn't really sound like him so who knows.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I also wonered about the guy who wears gloves and puts the charges in the bunker, it shows Han put the last one on there but he doesn't have gloves on :unsure

- - - Updated - - -

GL said "contract issues" were the reason the first desth star took so long, even in a galaxy far, far away the contractors take their time :lol that was on the RoTS commentary

I always figured they were building two. DS1 was the prototype, smaller model. Maybe started a few years sooner and then once a certain level of progress was achieved, the bigger one was started. Or....they just built them both at the same time and since it was that much bigger, it took that much longer.

I always thought the the significant difference in years for the build time was due to there still being "remnants of the old republic".

If the Emperor was still dealing with the Imperial Senate until ANH then it stands to reason that he didn't have complete control over the finances of the Galactic Empire during the construction of the first Death Star. With the Senate dissolved in ANH the Emperor has complete control of funding and could devote whatever finances he wanted to the second DS. Which is something he would want to build quickly to help "keep the local systems in line".

Reference Taggi and Tarkin's DS boardroom discussion...

Tagge: "The Rebellion will continue to gain a support in the Imperial Senate as long as....

Tarkin: "The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away."

Tagge: "That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?"

Tarkin: "The regional governors now have direct control over territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station."

I always thought the the significant difference in years for the build time was due to there still being "remnants of the old republic".

If the Emperor was still dealing with the Imperial Senate until ANH then it stands to reason that he didn't have complete control over the finances of the Galactic Empire during the construction of the first Death Star. With the Senate dissolved in ANH the Emperor has complete control of funding and could devote whatever finances he wanted to the second DS. Which is something he would want to build quickly to help "keep the local systems in line".

Reference Taggi and Tarkin's DS boardroom discussion...

Tagge: "The Rebellion will continue to gain a support in the Imperial Senate as long as....

Tarkin: "The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away."

Tagge: "That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?"

Tarkin: "The regional governors now have direct control over territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station."

excellent theory! i like it!

I don't think anything says they couldn't have started II before I was destroyed. The crawl says, Luke is returning to tatooine, however unknown to him is that the empire has started construction of a new death start. Doesn't say it's bigger, or that the first pieces went together after I blew up. Just says one has started and he doesn't know about it yet.

If the first one took 18ish years, I don't a second takes 5. Then again, it looks to be about 2/3 of the structure, and maybe 1/2 the interior? They could complete it in 9 years time I suppose. Still seems most likely the started it before ANH. As the ole govt saying goes, why build 1 when you can build 2 for twice the price?

*Charging* *ZAP!* It's back.

I have a wallpaper of the Rogue One scene of the Death Star docking bays (where you see the Star Destroyer in a hanger). Anyway I was looking at all of the docking bays and it just popped into my head: How many "air traffic" controllers are on the Death Star? It's got to be hundreds if not thousands! I guess droids could do that perfectly so maybe it's all controlled by a computer or multiple droids. I've never read anything about that.

What do you think these guys are doing? :)

Attachments

• star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-88.jpg
    star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-88.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 147
Perfect time for this thread to pop up. I was just asking myself today: Did Darth Vader know he would die if he threw the emperor over the side?

Perfect time for this thread to pop up. I was just asking myself today: Did Darth Vader know he would die if he threw the emperor over the side?

I doubt it crossed his mind.
He did what he felt in his heart was right at the time.
Did the soldier know he would die if he threw himself on a live grenade?
Possibly.
Did he do it anyway?
Yup.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back