The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

Ah. I did the same. I however am very confused on how to do the brown bits. Any idea?

Are you talking about how to make the shapes? I cut out pieces of felt in the shapes of the brown sections and wrapped the felt with the brown canvas. If you use spray on adhesive, it works great and is pretty easy to work with.

Thank you @ErkNinja but I was referring the the pattern printed on the scallops. I attempted to use iron on transfers as I did for the Khaki fabric but the design didn't work on the brom fabric. However I may be able to change that with Photoshop. We'll see.

sweet......almost everything ordered......gonna go to joann's today.......maybe hobby lobby as well......going on the hunt for those damned snaps.....

Question what are you using as a closer for the bag opening? I'll be heading to tandy today to pick up couple items. I was thinking the in fabric hidden magnets.

I decided to try to put the pattern onto the fabric using iron-on transfer paper. All you need is an ink-jet printer, an ironing board, an iron, and a pack of iron-on transfer paper. So far I'm very happy with the results. If someone gets close and eye-balls the fabric, the print won't look as good as a screen-printing, but even from only a couple feet away it should look very passable. Here's some pics...

View attachment 389786View attachment 389788View attachment 389789

Dude, you are brilliant. THANK you for this!

Ok here you go, a way to change the color of the blue insert of the buckle with out having to take it apart and is super easy and cheap to do, just takes some time ;)
First you need to get Black color dye, "RIT" the key in this product is that IT WILL STAIN PLASTIC.

So part one of my buckles.
get a small pot as shown in photo, a way to prop the buckle so the hole thing is not submerst in water. Fill pot to just a about the blue part maybe an 1/8" over. Bring pot water to a simmer, not to hot as to melt the plastic and to were you can dip your finger in and not burn. 100degF is good. Next add your Black RIT dye, for the this small pot i added about 7 tablespoons. Next place buckle in dye water, i had 4 buckles so i taped them together and used the other end in one as a handle. Now the hard part, have to wait, for me i left it in for 1.5 hours. I would check it every 30min. tell the right color is achieved. The Dye does its best in hot water. After you get the color, wash off the buckle in warm water, you may need to use a small shop towel to wipe off any residue from the metal buckle. Thats it easy and simple. You can see in the photo the buckles next to each other, one with the blue and the one that was dye black.
View attachment 388255View attachment 388253View attachment 388254View attachment 388256

Step two to follow, which is the process of the black wear look on the buckles.

You should add. Use a pot that you don't intend to use for food ever again.
I usually run to the thrift store and grab a little pot. One that I don't care about. Don't use your good cookwear.

Dude, you are brilliant. THANK you for this!

Another tip if you do the iron on transfer method... The iron on sheets will transfer a thin glossy film on top of the ink. On a t-shirt, this is no big deal, but on the bag, the sheen of the glossy film detracts from the look you want. What you can do, is after the ink has dried onto your fabric, is to use your iron to VERY gently dab all over. This will melt the thin film layer on top and get rid of the glossy finish. It will also smudge the ink a little bit, too, here and there, so be careful that you don't dab to hard and for too long. It will definitely give your transfer a more weathered look, though. Also note that your iron will get REALLY dirty. Either use an old iron, or when you're done, put an old towel down on your ironing board, and on high heat with steam, repeatedly drag the iron along the towel to get all the ink and melted film off. You'll have to put some muscle into it to get it all off.

Another tip if you do the iron on transfer method... The iron on sheets will transfer a thin glossy film on top of the ink. On a t-shirt, this is no big deal, but on the bag, the sheen of the glossy film detracts from the look you want. What you can do, is after the ink has dried onto your fabric, is to use your iron to VERY gently dab all over. This will melt the thin film layer on top and get rid of the glossy finish. It will also smudge the ink a little bit, too, here and there, so be careful that you don't dab to hard and for too long. It will definitely give your transfer a more weathered look, though. Also note that your iron will get REALLY dirty. Either use an old iron, or when you're done, put an old towel down on your ironing board, and on high heat with steam, repeatedly drag the iron along the towel to get all the ink and melted film off. You'll have to put some muscle into it to get it all off.

Or, I can just take some baby powder and hit the warm ink with that. It might even embed into that ink and lightly brushing it with a stiff bristled brush, afterwards, should give it that worn look, too. ...hmmm, wheat flour may also do the trick.

I can echo the theme of this costing more than I originally thought. Last year I did Mr. Freeze and so I thought I'd try something easier this year. Starlord needs a helmet and a jacket, no big deal I thought. Yeah. Right. Anyways, here's mine.
image.jpg

Even though the site now has non-adjustable carbon 45s listed? The only 40mm reference I could find in the thread was also paired with 1" oval grommets.

Thanks!

There are a lot of great images of the magnet clips and rivets in this thread, but does anyone have a convenient link for ordering the proper parts?

Thanks again,

Doug

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back