The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

2" D rings for sure ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in the market for a carbon steel one too, if no one figures out a good way to distress the stainless buckle. I'll put the stainless one in a guitar strap if that's the case, that'll be fun. The bag is going to have to be an after-halloween project for me anyway, so no hurry.

@Soulinertia, if you have a second half of that sketch that covers the right side, that would be awesome. There's not so much detail there so it wouldn't be hard to finish by hand, but if you've already done the work and don't mind sharing....

I don't have anything else sketched up. I just eyeballed the rest of the shape going off the the resource pics available.

Looks good! Now to just add another thing that needs a size... how about the D-rings hanging off the side of the bag? Those look a bit smaller than the main ones. I've never been good at determining the sizes...so I'll leave that to the pros ;)

Any chance you could post a picture of the front and back of your back laying flat with something next to it for scale, like a ruler or a dollar bill or something? Your bag is looking great, and it would be nice to get an estimate of the rough size you went with.

Sure, I'll throw a yard stick in there and take some pictures tonight. I was hoping that the pocket khakis colored pocket would have been a little deeper, but as I was sewing, things kept getting smaller and smaller!

I think for the D-rings on the side: the top one is 1.5", the bottom one is another 2". The bottom one is used to secure the additional strap that goes around the side when Quill is first seen with the bag wearing his trench coat.

Here is a rough cut-out of the strap:
bagstrap.jpg

Last edited:
I've have one of the references pics printed to scale. The d-ring is 2" and the oval grommet is only 1". Which makes the smaller strap going through it only about 3/4".
yhabysyj.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Any chance you could post a picture of the front and back of your back laying flat with something next to it for scale, like a ruler or a dollar bill or something? Your bag is looking great, and it would be nice to get an estimate of the rough size you went with.

Here ya go! Just as a note: my bag is not accurate in terms of size. I tried my best to be close enough where it looks similar. I just don't want anyone to see the pictures, make the bag with my dimensions, and get disappointed when it's not screen accurate.

1007141625.jpg1007141626.jpg

Even in your photo you can clearly see the grommet is larger than 1".

Here is the 1" grommets I ordered. The grommets are measured by the I.D. not their O.D. An 1-1/4" grommet would just be too big. I'm just try to help to make sure that everyone that wants make an accurate bag, can.
y2ete5ap.jpg

Here is the 1" grommets I ordered. The grommets are measured by the I.D. not their O.D. An 1-1/4" grommet would just be too big. I'm just try to help to make sure that everyone that wants make an accurate bag, can. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/08/y2ete5ap.jpg

If you want an accurate bag go with the 1.25". I know the measurement is the interior diameter. I have both the 1.25" and the 1" grommets and the 1" aren't even the right shape. Both share the same width making the 1" the wrong H to W ratio. Here is a pic of them next to eachother:

20141007_191821.jpg

Believe me, I've scaled everything to the exact mm. The photo you are using for scale isn't even high res and it's taken at an angle. If you want to get an accurate measurement go with this photo:

Here I've printed it 1:1 scale and placed the correct rivets and grommets over the photo.
20141007_191414.jpg

The strap is exactly 1" wide.

For comparison purposes I've placed the 1" grommets next to the ones in the photo. Judge for yourself, but If you still think 1" is the correct size then you are just seeing what you want to see.

20141007_191721.jpg

A really great example of how perspective works. Trust me, the oval eyelets are 1.25". I've verified it multiple ways with reference images of the bag perpendicular to the lens. Your also making an assumption about the size of a d-ring that hasn't been IDed and can't be a known value.

EDIT: Haha, you beat me to it.

I've also come to the conclusion using this photo and the rivets, grommets and straps for scale that the screen used D-ring is slightly larger than the 2" D-rings I have. Mine have an exterior dimension of 2.5" and they are still slightly too small!

Progress . . .

I added a faux leather liner for the interior of my Star Lord knapsack. This will makeup part of the second compartment.
20141007_231436.jpg

50559bc9-f14f-4b17-ad3d-f39af19667ec.jpg

Then I added another piece of real leather to back the trapezodial shapes.
20141007_232505.jpg

I glued down the shapes with a hot glue gun.
20141008_011409.jpg

Here is what the bag - knapsack (not a purse!) looks like loosely draped over a mannequin.
bac5ca21-2944-4a95-8220-7e83f924de2b.jpg

Threaded the strap through.
02652fd7-3f5c-4826-a26a-3941a32eaf4d.jpg

I finally got my 10mm rivets in. Tonight I will start on the main strap!

Last edited:
Yeah, I couldn't find any flat 5/8" snaps. I just used Tandy Line 24 snaps. The posts on them are a little long, so they are loose when setting them on the bag.

I finished up my strap today. I think I'm done with the bag for now with the possibility of changing out a snap or rivet if anything better is found.

1008141821d.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back