Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Post

• Phantom Thread

• Total voters

Vivek

Master Member
Vote for your favourite movie of 2017. Choose one movie from the above poll to cast your vote.

Movies in the poll are listed in release date order and there are about 50 movies listed as a refresher.

If your choice of movie is not listed in the poll, mention it in the comments. You can also list your other top 5 or top 10 favourite movies.

I will be updating this post to add my list in couple of days.

EDIT: Updated.

I watched 46 movies of 2017 and 26 of them were in theatres. There are still many movies which I haven't gotten around to seeing (mostly due to lack of theatrical release here) including The Shape of Water, I, Tonya, The Post among others.

There were lot of good movies this year which I enjoyed immensely, but personally there wasn't a standout movie which easily towered over the rest in terms of an all timer great film, but Blade Runner 2049 managed to get there pretty close and I know it's going to keep getting better on repeated viewing through home video.

Some movies were flat out entertaining, while some had the emotional resonance I hoped for, and selected few had both. Yet, it wasn't enough. Maybe it's something to do with me and my expectations than the movies themselves. (I know there can't be movies like Mad Max: Fury Road every year).

My top favourite movies of 2017 are as follows.

1. Blade Runner 2049
2. War for the Planet of the Apes
3. Coco
4. Baby Driver
5. A Ghost Story
6. The Big Sick
7. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,
8. Logan Lucky
9. Get Out
10. Colossal

Honorable Mention (release date order): Split, I Don't Feel At Home in this World Anymore, Logan, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Wonder Woman, Okja, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Mother!, The Florida Project, Brawl in Cell Block 99, Thor: Ragnarok, Lady Bird, Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

2017 Movie Trailer Mashup - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a few movies that I really loved this year. Logan is still the best, though. I recently caught it on HBO and it still packs just as much an emotional punch as it did when I first saw it.

I'm going firmly with 2049, for reasons which would turn into a very drawn out essay if laid out in full. TLDR version would be that it was a very big risk on all fronts, and for me personally ended up as a respectable and respectful sequel, which is an exceedingly rare beast.

My runners up and honorable mentions would be The Death of Stalin & Blade of the Immortal.

There was an odd feeling to 2017, I felt like I hadn't gone to see as many movies this year as I have previously, but when I actually looked at the list I was surprised by the numbers. I think the issue was there were slightly more disappointments than I expected.
So:

Treasued Memory status;
Blade Runner 2049 A+++++++++++++ (saw twice)

Exceeded Expectations;
Logan A
Dunkirk A -

Really Strong Entertaining Cinema;
Thor : Ragnorak B+++
Spider-man : Home Coming B++
Wonderwoman B+
War for the Planet of the Apes B+
John Wick 2 B
Kong Skull Island B-

Passed the Time;
GOTG2 C+
Kingsman: TGC C-
Star Wars TLJ C-

Pass the Bucket
Ghost in the Shell D
Valerian D
Alien: Covenant D

I have to say that in terms of all out consistent entertainment ,television these days is starting to well out score the movies, which is a first for me.

For me, it was Blade Runner 2049. Loved how they stayed true to the original in style, pacing, and detail; but expanded the world and the original story in a very satisfying way.

Biggest disappointment of 2017: Alien:Covenant. I just hated that they threw away everything that Prometheus built up (the question of the origin of life of Earth and the motivation of the Engineers) just to turn it into a cheap/bad horror movie.

I enjoyed all of the movies I saw this year to some extent. Since this is about favorites, not what was critically best, I'm going to go with Ghost in the Shell.

If you would have asked me a month ago what my expected vote was going to be I would have said for sure The Last Jedi would be it, but now that I've seen it....well, let's just say it wasn't even a consideration. My top 5 in no particular order were John Wick 2, Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Thor Ragnarok and Spider-Man Homecoming. I ultimately chose Spider-Man because it just entertained the hell out of me in a way that very few other movies were able to this year.

This year had some great movies. Here's my top 8, out of the ones that I saw:

1. Blade Runner 2049. No contest here. One of the best movies I've ever seen in my life. Unfortunately, I only saw it once in theaters, but I couldn't stop thinking about it for a week after I saw it.
2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. I'd probably put the first one in my all-time top 10, and I was very pleased with this sequel. Not perfect by any means, but just as, if not more emotional as the first. I love these characters and the gut punch at the end still gets me...big time.
3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi. I've seen it 4 times now, and I have major issues with it. There's some horrible writing going on (nothing to do with Luke in case you're wondering. I love his story here), but I still enjoyed a large chunk of the movie. It's Star Wars after all, so that kinda guarantees a top spot on my list. #justiceforAckbar
4. Spider-Man: Homecoming. Spidey is finally home..still hard to believe that! Amazing and smart movie. I honestly think this one should be #3 on my list. I enjoyed the hell out of it and Tom Holland is the best Spidey yet. Keaton easily takes the trophy as the best MCU villain to date.
5. Dunkirk. I'm a big fan of Nolan, so I was really excited about this. Not his best film, but incredibly intense, especially in IMAX. Probably the most immersive cinematic war experience I've seen. The lack of historical accuracy in terms of soldiers on beach/boats in water/planes in air was a disappointment though. Oh, and when Tom Hardy lands his plane and gets captured was just stupid. He could have avoided that in like 5 different ways.
6. Thor: Ragnarok. Good addition to the MCU, and a welcome reinvention of my least favorite Avenger. I was very entertained, but wasn't blown away. Didn't think it was remarkably hilarious.
7. Logan. I've only seen a couple of Jackman's Wolverine films, but this one was amazing. It puts him (and you) through the ringer and doesn't let up until the credits role. Very different kind of superhero movie and that is great.
8. Baby Driver. Just a whole lot of fun. Great soundtrack mixed with some epic driving scenes.

yikes!!!! 10 of you thought last Jedi was the best movie of 2017???? was that the only movie they saw all year....poor taste in movies ;)

I wouldn't have picked Last Jedi either, but I'm even more shocked that Blade Runner 2049 won this poll by a landslide. Didn't enjoy it one bit, but hey to each their own.

Thanks to all who voted in the poll. The current final votes are as follows.

1. Blade Runner 2049 - 33

2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 14

3. Logan, Wonder Woman - 10

4. Thor: Ragnarok - 6

5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 5

6. John Wick: Chapter 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming - 4

7. Baby Driver, It - 3

Expected Spider-Man to end up a bit higher in the list, really enjoyed it. Voted for BR2049 though, exceeded my expectations.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back