NeoRutty's Prop Projects - ANH Stunt Stormtrooper Bucket - Pointers requested?

Re: Finishing my Prop Projects - OPINIONS WANTED!! Luke Broadsword! See post #211

I actually think angled grips at the pommel end might be kind of cool.

Re: Finishing my Prop Projects - OPINIONS WANTED!! Luke Broadsword! See post #211

Sym-Cha C'mooooon... you want a broadsword....I feel the want in you... let go of your hate!

Last edited by a moderator:

... and I'm out ... the door ... I have awakened ... no force can stop me ... really ... don't even bother ... moving on to phasers now ... to STAR TREK and beyond!

:lol

Chaim

Re: Finishing my Prop Projects - Correct Praco for Yoda saber! pics.

How did you remove the head, from the Strobonar mine looks to be riveted?

Re: Finishing my Prop Projects - Correct Praco for Yoda saber! pics.

How did you remove the head, from the Strobonar mine looks to be riveted?

My friend wanted it to make a lamp, so he handled it before I got to his place to pick it up.

I'll ask him to drag it out so I can see what he did.

On @redbutton 's there were phillips head screws that held the socket/case on - which was wrapped around a metal bar on the lip of the tube inside. we wiggled and pulled the case and socket apart and used a hacksaw on the metal bar and the whole thing came off. I'm not sure how to remove what's left (the part for the saber) it appears to be glued to the tube.

Re: NeoRutty Prop Projects - Canon Y - Drilling Madness

Went to Seattle to take a dent out of some of my projects... get some drilling done.

Top of the list was mine and Edraven99 's V2 Mystery Chunk, Obi Sink Knobs, and Edraven99's MPP D-ring...

When I got there I was happy to find my Canon Y had arrived. There are some cool builds with these in the "Custom lightsaber" thread, so I was stoked to get one pretty cheap.

27618508414_06ccdb5517_z.jpg

Now the drilling... I had two days to get through as many projects as possible.

Day 1, while catching up and checking out my buddies new baby, the day got away... so we really only got set up and did ONE of the V2 pommels. It went really well though, so at least I knew on day 2 it would only take a few minutes to continue and quickly do mine.

28129899302_fa102564e6_z.jpg

and that's when it all fell apart... or broke.

Yup... the tap and die setup BROKE. INSIDE.

28156338791_0758429011_z.jpg

So for the next couple of hours we tried every which way to get the piece out. while it was weak enough to snap, it wasn't weak enough for any type of drill bit to get in it.

so it's stuck there now... still looking for a solution. :angry

I can appreciate when something is my own fault, but come on... not impressed.

AAAAnyway....

Did the Obi pommels, which turned out nice, and the MPP shroud, which was surprisingly easy to do.

I only got about a third done of what I wanted to... so the pile of unfinished prop projects barely gets a dent put in it.

Attachments

• 27618508414_06ccdb5517_z.jpg
    27618508414_06ccdb5517_z.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 28129899302_fa102564e6_z.jpg
    28129899302_fa102564e6_z.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 28156338791_0758429011_z.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited by a moderator:

OUCH! Would it be an option to cut a slot into the broken tap and try to screw it out?

I had this happen a few times with smaller taps M3/ M4, but never with a M6 :eek

OUCH! Would it be an option to cut a slot into the broken tap and try to screw it out?

I had this happen a few times with smaller taps M3/ M4, but never with a M6 :eek

We tried to cut a slot, but the break was at such a weird angle that the drill bits kept sliding off the weird angle.... So we ground it down, then used a bit ( not sure the name) and could only get a small dent before it stopped progressing. We switched to drill bits and couldn't do anything but dull the bits.

I think you are going to need a mill instead of a drill press, only thing to do would be to find an end mill/ drill bit just a hair smaller, make sure its dead center and drill away. An M6 shouldn't have broken like that.

I think you are going to need a mill instead of a drill press, only thing to do would be to find an end mill/ drill bit just a hair smaller, make sure its dead center and drill away. An M6 shouldn't have broken like that.

Yeah my friend is looking into it... It wasn't his fault that piece broke in his hands, but he feels a bit guilty I think... :(

I shouldn't have broken, and our first go went so perfectly, we both were SHOCKED when it snapped like a twig... defect in the tool?

I've PM'd Anakin Starkiller in the off chance that there is an extra pommel around in case this is a lost cause... here's hoping.

of course if ANYONE here KNOWS they have the tools to get it out, maybe I can send it to you?

Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects - Call out! Anyone with machining skills to solve a pro

I should not there is no longer a section to grab at as seen here:

We sanded it down to get a flat surface to attempt a slot for a screwdriver of for a drill bit to grab onto after failing to turn it with pliers/clams etc.

While my friend has a lot of great tools, he's a "finishings" guy... not a machinist... so if anyone out there is thinking "I can get that out in a minute"... feel free to PM.

Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects - Call out! Anyone with machining skills to solve a pro

I'd go for a slightly smaller drill piece, is there any way you can sink the drill piece deeper in the chuck that way you'll have less flex on the drill bit itself which might help?
Alternatively how about starting off dot punch it and use an archenemies drill which is nice and small hand held, will be a bit painful (slow) but might just get you a starting point to be able to use a larger drill?
Another alternative which I don't think you'd want to go down the route of would be to drill from the other side 180 degrees with correct drill (all the way through), then plug the old hole from the other side with an aluminium rod, you could turn that down in place to give you the correct curve, I've seen that done before and looks okay - as to say difficult to note.

Last edited:

Like what?

well... I wasn't sure if 'like this post' was appropriate... happy that my stuff turned out.... not so happy about your mishap... so 'like' with a question mark?

well... I wasn't sure if 'like this post' was appropriate... happy that my stuff turned out.... not so happy about your mishap... so 'like' with a question mark?

Ah gotcha.

Needle nose plyers if you have enough to grip it may allow you to unscrew the broken piece, is another thought?

Nope none of that worked.. the pliers were a fail... it wouldn't budge.

Then we broke two bits trying to get the piece out.

Then we bought the strongest bits we could find (I mean we can use them on other projects, so not a waste) but all they did was get dull.

This stupid tool was weak enough to snap, but strong enough to not let any sort of drill bit cut into it.

:facepalm

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back