Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

That belt looks very nice, i like the color.

For the lengh I ajust it to my body. 46" wasn't enough to make the reverse of the bottom part, so
first thing i thought when i read that was it might be too short. I just cut mine out tonight and needed about 52 inches for the lower part to have enough to double back and that's for my GF who is pretty small. I only found 1 shoulder hide at Tandy with that much length on it. I'm using "4/5 ounce" weight leather and the thickness seems right to me.

Finished two thing today, Made the belt from a old long leather belts, Its not as thick as the real thing but it works for me. And i just finished the Boots.
Cut apart a old shirt with a nice texture hotglued it onto a par of old boots, added leather pieces and cotton string around the edge.
Gonna do alot of weathering and painting on them to make them blend into the costume.

first thing i thought when i read that was it might be too short. I just cut mine out tonight and needed about 52 inches for the lower part to have enough to double back and that's for my GF who is pretty small. I only found 1 shoulder hide at Tandy with that much length on it. I'm using "4/5 ounce" weight leather and the thickness seems right to me.

Thank you ! :)

Yes, it's difficult to find a piece of leather with this length (and at a cheap price too). Mine was a semi-rigid leather, that's why I think it was a bit floppy when I first cut it. And when I assembled it, I find it was too fragile, so I doubled it (mostly for the pouch I'll add later... I'll probably go to do shopping at the SWC2016 in cosplay and I think my bag will be empty at some point. And heavy ! lol)

Kendra I agree with Redwillow, the color looks great.

My leather might be a little short, but I was thinking I could cut the ends that loop back through the D-rings separately and sew them onto the rest of the belt, but in reverse, so when the went through the rings, they'd end up facing the right way.

I have to mod my Signals Satchel still, too. There are so many pieces to this costume, it's taking me way longer than I thought it would to finish it. And at the same time, I'm working on 3 other costumes, all Star Wars, though I'm just about finished with one of them. :rolleyes

Really nice job on the boots, Contec.

So you made it as two separate pieces? I'm kind of confused, because someone said the Rebel Legion said the belt had to be two pieces, but from every picture I've seen, it's one piece.

Yeah most of the RL members that have experience in the Rey costume are arguing that it is one belt. There are only a couple people that are saying it is 2 which shows innacurate.

Kendra I agree with Redwillow, the color looks great.

My leather might be a little short, but I was thinking I could cut the ends that loop back through the D-rings separately and sew them onto the rest of the belt, but in reverse, so when the went through the rings, they'd end up facing the right way.

I have to mod my Signals Satchel still, too. There are so many pieces to this costume, it's taking me way longer than I thought it would to finish it. And at the same time, I'm working on 3 other costumes, all Star Wars, though I'm just about finished with one of them. :rolleyes

Thanks !

Yes that's a good idea. I did that too, but I glued the leather instead of sewing it. :D I think I might change the buckles in the next few months, because I don't like this one. I've also purchase a 1mm of natural leather cord for this belt, but I think it's too small. 2mm look more accurate. https://www.alittlemercerie.com/cor...aturel_cordon_en_cuir_veritable_-6360999.html

I'll probably get my signal satchel the next week. Yes it's taking a lot of time. Good luck with your costumes !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks !

Yes that's a good idea. I did that too, but I glued the leather instead of sewing it. :D I think I might change the buckles in the next few months, because I don't like this one. I've also purchase a 1mm of natural leather cord for this belt, but I think it's too small. 2mm look more accurate. https://www.alittlemercerie.com/cor...aturel_cordon_en_cuir_veritable_-6360999.html

I'll probably get my signal satchel the next week. Yes it's taking a lot of time. Good luck with your costumes !

Dumbest question ever... and I'm sure it's just not having the right program, but how did you print out the belt pattern? I can't get it on more than one piece of paper, and nothing in my settings do anything. Ugh. Frustrating.

Dumbest question ever... and I'm sure it's just not having the right program, but how did you print out the belt pattern? I can't get it on more than one piece of paper, and nothing in my settings do anything. Ugh. Frustrating.

I didn't print it. I just reproduced it on paper (with ruler/tape-mesure and pencil) with the indication of mesurement on the pattern. It take me some times to do it, but I managed to change the length for my body, which is good. (I did it maybe in 20min). I think you should try to draw it yourself. I didn't even try to print it. I did this only for the wristband (I cut the pic in 2 part and used Word program to print) :D

When I tought the paper pattern was correct, I copied it again on carboard, to try it on and see what parts need to be changed.

When it fitted me right, only then I cut my leather with this final pattern.

Made the bracer ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458431551.642597.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both those bracers are looking good. I will prob start on remaking mine after i finish the belt.

i like this antique gel leather dye from Tandy. Are you using a finish over it? I noticed it will rub off with just water so i do want to go over it with a finish.

I was going to grab that today...but was unsure if it would take dye being polyester...did you buy the white and dye it? Thanks for the help...I'm fabric impaired...unless it's tackle twill I have no idea what is what and how it reacts to dyes and such....Google says it's hard to dye polyester so I wanted to ask y'all first....

iDye Poly will dye polyester well. And they sell it at Joann now. The Hit Girl suit in my profile pic was white. I dyed it with one packet of iDye Poly violet. So, there you go then. That said, making Rey colors would likely be tough...mixtures and such...

Thanks !

I took this picture today at the FIDM costume exhibit. The cord looks like it is not a single strand like the one you are looking at, but multiple strands twisted together. Though not every costume at every exhibit appears to be the same.

ReyBeltCord_Mithril.jpg

First it needs to be enlarged, then you need to "Tile" the belt pattern file when printing it out. It's a setting in the print dialog box. It prints it out in pieces and you can choose the overlap so you can tape them together.

If you don't have it already, download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader. It's free. Use the attached file. I enlarged the pattern and converted it to a PDF and removed the color so it wouldn't waste ink. When you print it, in the print dialog box, click on POSTER. Then you'll see the TILE function. Tell it to overlap at least 1 inch so you can use a glue stick and glue the pieces together. I taped it on the front and glued it on the back. This belt is about 37" long if you print it at 100%, including the end straps that fold back on itself, but you can scale it up or down as needed. I printed it, put it together, then tried it around my waist to see if I needed it bigger or smaller, then judged how much to scale it. I had to print it and put it together 3x before I got it how I wanted it.

Don't forget to add extra leather on the side where the buckles are so you have something to fold back over the buckles to hold them on.

View attachment reys belt pattern size.pdf

usajdm
Im trying to figure out the size for my goggles and the eye holes., Would you be able to tell me the size of your bubble lenses?
image12.jpg
Also , has anyone figured out the size for the Goggle string holders? On my first measurement i made them 2" long and 10/16 in height but then the goggle would almost wrap around my head so i lowered the size to 1" 5/8 and 1/2 " Don't know it its right..

Last edited by a moderator:
I took this picture today at the FIDM costume exhibit. The cord looks like it is not a single strand like the one you are looking at, but multiple strands twisted together. Though not every costume at every exhibit appears to be the same.

View attachment 605644

Thanks for the pic ! Yes, that what's I've been wondering about. I found this cord but I don't know if it will do right (maybe after untie it, then crush it and do some weathering... I'll try it) :
- https://www.alittlemercerie.com/bri...0mm_ancien_stock_de_matelassier_-7608619.html
- https://www.alittlemercerie.com/fil...2mm_beige_ecru_n1_4558550008190_-7133352.html
- http://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits/ficelle-en-sisal-diam-2-mm-36-m-e26393#&xtmc=ficelle&xtcr=4

949db2518aadd7a3ddf995d7e0a511de.jpg

Last edited:
I think just because of the way it's twisted up it looks like multiple strands....hobby lobby sells twine like that near the leather stuff

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back