Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

You need a helper with al foil on the end of a stick to hold it up blocking the light, while you look for the leek. This sounds weird.

I'll look for it, as I'm at my wit's end here and about to re-paint the exterior.

It seems no matter what paint I use, or how much, it doesn't diminsh the light bleed. It is almost as if the portion of the backside I am painting doesn't correlate with where the bleed is, but it should though. I am wondering if the styrene of the dish over-extends the acrylic more than I remember.

Look at these photos. I'm thinking the darker grey is OUTside the acrylic, and inaccessible from the inside.

I think you're right Rob, looks like it's leaking under the outer edge of the dish where it meets the globe. Probably near the little feet that are placed all the way around. I'd block that again first before doing anything to the dish itself.

You need a helper with al foil on the end of a stick to hold it up blocking the light, while you look for the leek. This sounds weird.

I think this is the best way, to physically block areas from light. A couple of materials you could use to block light. 1- aluminum heating duct tape-self adhesive, resists heat from the bulb. 2- adhesive backed 3mil, self stick vinyl, in black. I have used it on primed models to simulate a unlit room window. You can get the vinyl at AC More/Michaels. It comes in rolls, but lays nice & flat off of the roll. Good luck!

Sprayed a 2"-3" section on the outside with silver, then the base grey. So far seems to have done the trick, but is still daylight and not TOO dark in the garage right now.

Looks like the paint went down OK; no significant texture or foreign elements in the coat (I think).

Will have to re-draw the pencil lines for the 80th time, and clear coat, but seems to be working.

I know, right...?

052714 0005.jpg

Rob, it looks good, and the thichness of the dish wouldn't be noticed by most and you can leave it as is. However, what kind of level of difficulty would it be to make a "third" dish?
You probably didn't want to hear it, but from the amount of work you put into the Death Star, I'm sure this notion is in the back of your head right now, it would be in mine.

Here's a quick comparison. You can see the plastic of the dish itself (not the detail strips, but the base dish) is too thick. Oh well...

View attachment 331101

Rob, be careful with this comparison. The picture of your model is taken at a slightly different light setting, the shadows on the original picture are a bit shorter and the "sun" is a bit more rectangular to the dish's center there. This automatically makes the inner dish look too thick on yours.

I really love your model...

Thorst brought up an interesting point.
Get the lighting just right and take another comparison pic, you may be closer than you think to the reference.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back