Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

This is very true but in this situation its more than understandable when disclosure would result in termination as opposed to the rumor you freely cited about LFL making changes to the way they go about things such as not employing untried directors etc that was attributed to no one.

I`m sure as soon as Kennedy come`s out of self imposed exile someone one will ask her about her future, that is if she doesnt just confine herself to shill media outlets only in which case, it will never be asked.

Post number 1609 on this page.

I equate an unnamed source with rumors from unnamed sources. They are both phantoms until substantiated. And countering one with another is about as equal as one could get, I would think.

If such a situation were to happen with KK I think it would be far more likely that a well-crafted answer would be prepared.

I would not personally need to take Feige's answer with any grain of salt. It's from him and I'm sure he knows how he wants his contract negotiation to go when the time comes.

I just came across this. Wasn't sure where to put this, and not sure how I feel about it.

https://youtu.be/Agsy0pSWMaQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It looks like another guy trying to make money off of his Star Wars opinion by monitizing his videos about a "hot" topic. I got 8 minutes in and lost interest in his conjecture. The same crap being regurgitated over and over. :sick

It looks like another guy trying to make money off of his Star Wars opinion by monitizing his videos about a "hot" topic. I got 8 minutes in and lost interest in his conjecture. The same crap being regurgitated over and over. :sick

Somebody who can't stand people liking something he doesn't regurgitates the same made up facts over and over? You'd think this thread would have trained you for such things!

At the same time, judging everyone who doesn't like this move based on a random podcast...

Yeah.

Bad or good reviews... The movie was garbage.

It went no where. It was a snail race of starships, and a de-glorifying of not only Luke... but Vader AND the emporer as well. The basis of everything that IS Star Wars.

Nothing was explained... nothing moved forward... just wasted time. And one of the most beloved characters of all time was not only demistified... but they completely destroyed all that he he had fought for and suffered... To be a complete worthless character that I would have rather in episode7 they just had said: "Luke? Oh yeah he's dead."

That would have subverted my expectations without being COMPLETE GARBAGE.

Luke didn't necessarily need to be glorified. That was kind of the point. Even heroes can get old and curmudgeonly and make bad decisions. Ultimately that's what sets the best ones apart and humanizes them.

Luke didn't necessarily need to be glorified. That was kind of the point. Even heroes can get old and curmudgeonly and make bad decisions. Ultimately that's what sets the best ones apart and humanizes them.

Sorry Paul but this is utter bollocks ( no offense ;) ). I didn't like TLJ but I ordinarily don't post about it but I need to respond to this haha.

Luke had already been through this. He made bad decisions, acted like an impudent brat and lacked patience and discipline but he came through that and grew into the Luke we met at the end of the ROTJ.

It made no sense for Luke to regress into the weird, grumpy man-child we met in TLJ.

Sorry Paul but this is utter bollocks ( no offense ;) ). I didn't like TLJ but I ordinarily don't post about it but I need to respond to this haha.

Luke had already been through this. He made bad decisions, acted like an impudent brat and lacked patience and discipline but he came through that and grew into the Luke we met at the end of the ROTJ.

It made no sense for Luke to regress into the weird, grumpy man-child we met in TLJ.

Johnson`s whole shtick with this movie was the selfish destruction of Luke Skywalker. Once he had that down he was more than happy to go with his first draft. Even Hamill himself repeatedly told him that this was wrong but Johnson wouldnt listen. Nothing would sway him from being the one to deconstruct then kill him off in HIS movie.

Mistakes, yes but one of the most epic stuff ups in history that led to the destruction of his newly formed jedi academy? In a film series that started with "A New Hope" ( retroactively named that of course but still ).

Just didn't sit right, it didn't feel in keeping with a character we all grew up with. I can buy him not being able to stop Ben being swayed to the dark side but there had to be a better way to handle both that and Lukes reaction to it than to destroy the foundation of Star Wars as we knew it.

RJ tore Luke down because he 1) HAD to have him in the movie 2) couldn’t avoid dealing with him and shove him to the end like JJ did 3) didn’t want to have him overshadow the new people and Rey 4) Didn’t know how to intelligently write the character without him taking over the movie. RJ would have been just as happy to not have to deal with him at all. The only “creative choice” for Luke he made was the choice to avoid having to actually write a good story to honor old heroes and make anyone care about the new ones.

The struggle with what to do with Luke was well talked about, and that being the reason why JJ shoved him at the end of TFA. Rian simply didn’t have the option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJ tore Luke down because he 1) HAD to have him in the movie 2) couldn’t avoid dealing with him and shove him to the end like JJ did 3) didn’t want to have him overshadow the new people and Rey 4) Didn’t know how to intelligently write the character without him taking over the movie. RJ would have been just as happy to not have to deal with him at all. The only “creative choice” for Luke he made was the choice to avoid having to actually write a good story to honor old heroes and make anyone care about the new ones.

The struggle with what to do with Luke was well talked about, and that being the reason why JJ shoved him at the end of TFA. Rian simply didn’t have the option

Exactlly.

Narratively speaking, this is not a mistake on Rian's part.. People try to disassemble TLJ by painting this as a mistake or out of character. But there is no story or character arc for somebody if they’ve already achieved their goal. The thing that most people don’t care about, and this is why the EU never appealed to me, is that Star Wars characters are mythic. They aren’t like Indy, or Kirk, or Bond, where you can just say AND HERE’S ANOTHER ADVENTURE THEY HAD. Mythic characters are designed to tell stories with finality to some extent, and Luke was written to hit the end of ROTJ the way he did. Beyond that point, there’s very little to do with the character.

People like to say NOT MY LUKE and feel as though his portrayal is TLJ is out of character. It is, but it’s the one big way you could tell a new story with him— you’d have to break the DNA. Otherwise, there’s nothing new to do with him.

If TLJ had started with Luke being the hero he is in the last 10 minutes of the movie you’d only have one place to go with him— kill him... which is why he dies after he makes that character turn.

TLJ’s mistake wasn’t the broken Luke narrative. TLJ’s mistake was either using Luke at all (this is exactly why he wasn’t in TFA), or not reaching that pivot point sooner. If broken luke had lasted maybe one act, at most the first half of the movie, and then became uber-Luke, I don’t think as many people would be mad. There’s a reason Obi-Wan peaces out of ANH well before the end.

Could they have found a middle ground where Luke is still a hero but not all powerful and more like he was in ROTJ? Yes, absolutely, and I am sure most people would have liked that... but it wouldn’t have rang true to the mythic building blocks of the OT. I think Rian Johnson was right to do what he did to Luke. His mistake was he only had an hour worth of story and he stretched it out with endless filler and zero evolution. TLJ is a structural mess that plays out the same 3 plot beats for it’s entire second act. Changing the DNA of Luke’s character was the one thing Johnson did right. He just played it for an entire movie, which is something no one wanted to see. Also, giving a character a turning point like that is generally reserved for the lead chracter. This is why Luke and Rey both levelling up at the same time doesn’t work, it feels like a double beat and we don’t know that Rey has earned it fully. Johnson forgot whose story he was telling.

I have tons of issues with TLJ, but broken Luke in theory isn't one of them.

Eh. I thought Luke made sense in TLJ. He reminded me of Obi-wan, who told Luke about training Anakin: "I thought I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong." Obi-Wan fails, and then goes and hides.

Luke's a little different. He says: "In my hubris, I thought I could train him." Luke has the moment where he senses his nephew has gone farther down the dark side path, and he panics. Luke's been blind to his nephew's growing corruption, or otherwise failed to act earlier, just as Obi-Wan was. Luke fails, and then goes off and hides.

We don't get to see what Luke was like before his moment of weakness, as he calls it. It's pretty obvious that he wasn't the crazy old hermit (hmm, that sounds familiar....) that he is by the time we see him at the end of TFA/beginning of TLJ. And I think that if I'd been trying to train a new generation of Jedi, and had instead trained the guy who would become one of the faces of the new Empire (First Order), I'd be pretty grumpy too.

What we're made to understand over the course of TLJ is that despite what some are saying here, Luke really didn't "learn" everything by the end of ROTJ. Yep, he redeemed Anakin and saved the day etc, etc, but whether it was hubris from the victory of ROTJ, or something else, Yoda's appearance in TLJ, smacking Luke on the head again, and his dialogue about Luke still looking past what's around him to focus on the future all makes it clear that Luke still has a bit of the old impatient farm boy in him.

As for Luke's death, I thought it was perfect. It's the most "Jedi" act anyone in any of the films makes, by a mile. Totally non-violent. He's completely at peace. The meditation pose he's in isn't some coincidence. His actions highlight the power of the light over Kylo's unbridled rage of the dark. Anyone who wanted him to really be there, on Crait, and really fight Kylo, and destroy the army laid out in front of the base has missed the point about who the Jedi are, in my opinion. As Yoda himself says: "Wars not make one great."

We are told, in TLJ, Luke has cut himself off from the force and we are shown, the moment he reconnects Yoda appears to him, spouting ‘wisdom’.
So, did Luke not receive any guidance from Yoda, Obi Wan or even Anakin when he created the academy, trained new Jedi and attempted to kill his sleeping nephew?

It’s a real stretch to believe that after ROTJ they just left him hanging. They believed he was the last hope to save the galaxy from tyranny but stood back and said or did nothing, allowing the same thing to happen again. Hmmm.

I will forever say it's utter BS to say the only way to have handled Luke in TLJ was total character assassination. He could have just become indifferent, or they could have gone with a number of other avenues. There was no reason for Luke to have been the final nail in Ben's fall. Obi wan didn't push Anakin over the edge by thinking about stabbing him in the back in the middle of the night.

The powerful jedi of the prequels were far from the main focus and didn't detract from the story of Anakin, obi-wan, or anyone else.

I will forever say it's utter BS to say the only way to have handled Luke in TLJ was total character assassination. He could have just become indifferent, or they could have gone with a number of other avenues. There was no reason for Luke to have been the final nail in Ben's fall. Obi wan didn't push Anakin over the edge by thinking about stabbing him in the back in the middle of the night.

The powerful jedi of the prequels were far from the main focus and didn't detract from the story of Anakin, obi-wan, or anyone else.

I've talked about this before, but I think the issue is this:

Within the context of the ST, you have certain structural issues that are competing against each other. On the one hand, you want to bring in a new crop of heroes. The old actors are aging, are far less convincing as action heroes, and may not be around in the real world to keep filming new films. On the other hand, they're your anchor to the OT, and you really want to tie the new saga films to the OT. Finally, there's the issue of these characters already being "leveled up" in the sense of being powerful, having influence, having resources, and/or having abilities at their fingertips. There's no struggle for them that they can't get out of IF the state of affairs of the galaxy is what you saw at the end of ROTJ: the Rebels won, everything is hunky dory, the Empire and Sith are defeated, and evil is basically gone from the galaxy. It's all the EU setting stuff. How do you create real drama, real stakes, if your OT characters are already at the top of their game? What challenges can they face? You really have limited options.

I knew once they announced they'd include the old crew that at least some of 'em were gonna die in the new films. I also knew that the "happily ever after" ending of ROTJ would be undone in some way because it had to be.

Where I think things went a little wrong is in dropping us smack in the middle of the story with zero bearings. With the OT, the story was fresh. You didn't go in with preconceived notions of what came before or what would come next. The opening crawl was just the bare setting for the story. With the PT, again, the story was entered into by the audience with no sense of preceding events. All we knew was what would come eventually, but not how we'd get there. So, the story became all about revealing how that all occurred.

The ST is different, though, and the place in the story where TFA drops us is incredibly different from what happened at the end of ROTJ. I think the films needed a lot more context provided, either in the opening crawl, or in gradually introducing us to the new setting in terms of the events that lead to it. In other words, I think it would make more sense story-wise to show more of the fall of the ROTJ-status for the galaxy and then lead into a true "fight against the First Order." I think this could probably have been done with a single transitional film that acts as a fulcrum for the newer stories, but it would also require delaying the introduction of the central hero (Rey) and would still undo everything that happened in ROTJ. I expect a lot of people who criticize TLJ would have been fine with undoing ROTJ as long as it didn't feel like it came out of left field and was all very hastily revealed. But because of how the ST has been structured, that's not how it went.

I still maintain that Luke's behavior makes sense in context if you can accept the single event that sets off the chain reaction (Luke igniting his blade over a sleeping Ben), and I think that still fits with his character, but having more time to see how he got to that point would've helped.

Not everyone would accept this, of course. Although there aren't many on this board that I've seen, I'm sure there are people out there for whom the old EU books are basically the Star Wars they really want. I think they're a pretty small minority, though.

Don't forget, Luke didn't go into Ben's hut to kill him. That idea originated from the Dark Side, after Luke sees Ben's dark machinations. Secondly, Luke prior to this, is probably on cloud 9. Everything is going perfectly for him. When suddenly one day Luke notices that Ben is behaving differently. When Luke realizes it's the Dark Side in his nephew, it must have been like a slap to the face. I imagine that a wave of emotions overcame Luke, fear, sadness, anger, confusion. And at that moment the tendrils of the Dark Side begin reaching for Luke. Eventually leading him into making the poor discision to prob Ben's thoughts in the middle of the night.

To continue the present trajectory. I don’t understand why Luke could not have taken on the traditional role of mentor and teacher. At some point the next generation must be challenged to go solo (in aviation terms) and hopefully swim rather than sink. And later, in the end, save the day where their mentor skipped a beat.

Would have been a more inspirational way to transition to the new hero’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To continue the present trajectory. I don’t understand why Luke could not have taken on the traditional role of mentor and teacher. At some point the next generation must be challenged to go solo (in aviation terms) and hopefully swim rather than sink. And later, in the end, save the day where their mentor skipped a beat.

Would have been a more inspirational way to transition to the new hero’s.

How come we expect Luke to be the perfect teacher, when he was D- Jedi student. The only reason he doesn't get an F is because he ultimately resists the Emperor's temptations and is instrumental in the redeeming of Anakin. Luke failed every single test (except for the afore mentioned test) that Yoda gave him, and then became a drop out.

How come we expect Luke to be the perfect teacher, when he was D- Jedi student. The only reason he doesn't get an F is because he ultimately resists the Emperor's temptations and is instrumental in the redeeming of Anakin. Luke failed every single test (except for the afore mentioned test) that Yoda gave him, and then became a drop out.

Expecting nothing; just not understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back