Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Post-release)

What did you think of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom?

• Total voters
I know it's a post release thread and will contain spoilers, but since the thread title doesn't specify it has spoilers I decided to write the following in spoiler brackets. :)

Though it's not in the thread title, it's mentioned in the first line of the opening post that this thread contains spoiler discussion.

For the last 5 years we have been adding the "post-release" suffix in thread titles to indicate it contains spoilers and most have come to understand it. And when new post-release threads are created for popular movies, it will have a similar opening line about spoiler discussion. And though it's not necessary, one can of course continue to use spoiler tags as they deem fit.

And it's always appreciated when members choose to be cautious and considerate for others, especially since this movie was released two weeks early outside US.

for a second there, I thought I was watching Lost World Jurassic Park...I really wish they will start having new ideas instead of sticking old plot lines and putting them in a blender to get a new film....it was an updated version of The Lost World with a mixture of Jurassic World 2015... only main difference is the new evil greedy business guy wants to auction them off instead of sea world type of park...and how many times is Henry Wu going to escape and basically do the same thing he did the previous film...create a mini indonimus rex but this time with more raptor DNA...

it was entertaining, but hoping for more storyline wise...

Opening sequence was amazing. Very well done..best part in the entire movie

My wife and I went to see Jurassic World courtesy of MoviePass.

I wasn't expecting a lot as I'm not a fan of the franchise past the first film. I mainly went because it was in a manor of speaking, free.

The special effects are astounding. They look as real as is possible. I doubt the genuine article would have looked any bit more terrifying
and horrific. This is where my appreciation of the film ends because the plot, while nothing to really make you think, it goes out of its way
to be idiotic.

Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert! Spoiler Alert!

Last chance!

The island these dinosaurs are inhabiting is going to be destroyed by a volcano. This really should be the start and end of the film because
we can't stop the volcano and who in their right (or wrong) mind would risk HUMAN lives to protect a dinosaur that by all accounts, should
not even exist?

Well, here is where the first bit of stupid comes into play because every main protagonist has decided to do just that, risk lives to save the dinosaurs.
Now you know your watching a movie when a Congressional hearing (interviewing Jeff Goldblum's character) makes a same day decision and it's
the right one. Well, the wrong one if your a subscriber to the moron plot of "lets save the dinosaurs".

Even with this bit of stupid, I'm still not underwhelmed with the movie and I'm sticking it out. It's a plot point so I understand it.

The bulk of the film is devoted to this goal, rescuing the dinosaurs. They even throw in a touching scene where a herbivore is consumed by lava
and fire with just its shadow visible through the shroud of smoke. So touching. So convenient that it wasn't a T-Rex where the audience would
be rationally thinking something else.

They then throw in some more stupid, risking life even further by climbing into a cage with a T-Rex looking dinosaurs to draw blood to save another
meat eater. Once they reach land, England I am guessing, the dinosaurs are being sold in an underground black market auction. No surprises here.

The proverbial dung hits the fan and the dinosaurs are once again in danger of extermination so a protagonist grapples with the decision to release
them from the cages into the outside world. She reluctantly does not release them but the drama is there to make you think it was a hard choice.
Not for me it wouldn't have been. Of course I wouldn't have rescued them either.

Just then, someone else sets them free. Now at some point in the movie, they discuss the fate of the dinosaurs from the context of cohabitation with
man and not confined to an island. This continues at the end when they are released.

I can't imagine what the writers were thinking. Do they think people are so soft that they would go so far to save any life form that it would include
setting a T-Rex loose on England? never mind the Raptors or Pterosaurs??

When they were talking about cohabitation I thought, sure....why not. Let me see you survive a week on the African plains with lions which would be
a big ***** cat compared to some of those dinosaurs .

If I think they did it for the next movie, what would that look like? Reign of Fire? The worlds militaries would have to contend with them putting more
people and property at risk and ultimately negating the ending of this film. The ending just baffled me.

So, anyone that watched it, what was your take on the ending?

Frankly, I'm done with this series. I just rewatched Jurassic Park yesterday and I was amazed at how much they played up that they were more like birds than reptiles and that they were animals doing what they do and not monsters. Then watching all the behind the scenes stuff and hearing everybody talking so excitedly about finally doing a DINOSAUR movie and not wanting to do a monster movie and trying to get it as accurate as possible. It's so ****ing sad to hear them all be so excited only to know how they bastardize things from the sequel onwards.

Jurassic World had a chance to set things right. They had the park up and running - fantastic - and it was successful - fantastic - and they were going to unveil new dinosaurs - fantastic - but then it turned out to be a hybrid monster that ruins the park and the raptors and rex function as plot devices and are boring as ****. This could have been the chance to introduce dinosaurs with feathers AND have the movie be about the real world debate about true dinosaurs versus how people WANT the dinosaurs to look. The new feathered raptors could be the ones Owen worked with and life in the park could be the main story. Not another ****ing monster chase and eat humans again - we've seen that since the first movie and it's getting more and more ridiculous. Having the park open and working and introducing more accurate looking dinosaurs would have been much more interesting to me to see - all it needed was a competent writer and director to make it exciting and not just fall back on "everything goes to **** and the dinos start eating people".

If they make more, they won't get my money. I'm done with this turd that doesn't even have dinosaurs in the movies anymore, but just monsters and plot devices.

The scene I wanted it to end with:

The dust settles, everyone leaves. We wind down to a part of the lab we weren't shown before. James Cromwell is sitting at a table. With a small smile on his face, he says "Well, that worked out just like we planned." The camera pans around to see that he's talking to yet another James Cromwell...

The scene I wanted it to end with:

The dust settles, everyone leaves. We wind down to a part of the lab we weren't shown before. James Cromwell is sitting at a table. With a small smile on his face, he says "Well, that worked out just like we planned." The camera pans around to see that he's talking to yet another James Cromwell...

No....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankly, I'm done with this series. I just rewatched Jurassic Park yesterday and I was amazed at how much they played up that they were more like birds than reptiles and that they were animals doing what they do and not monsters. Then watching all the behind the scenes stuff and hearing everybody talking so excitedly about finally doing a DINOSAUR movie and not wanting to do a monster movie and trying to get it as accurate as possible. It's so ****ing sad to hear them all be so excited only to know how they bastardize things from the sequel onwards.

Jurassic World had a chance to set things right. They had the park up and running - fantastic - and it was successful - fantastic - and they were going to unveil new dinosaurs - fantastic - but then it turned out to be a hybrid monster that ruins the park and the raptors and rex function as plot devices and are boring as ****. This could have been the chance to introduce dinosaurs with feathers AND have the movie be about the real world debate about true dinosaurs versus how people WANT the dinosaurs to look. The new feathered raptors could be the ones Owen worked with and life in the park could be the main story. Not another ****ing monster chase and eat humans again - we've seen that since the first movie and it's getting more and more ridiculous. Having the park open and working and introducing more accurate looking dinosaurs would have been much more interesting to me to see - all it needed was a competent writer and director to make it exciting and not just fall back on "everything goes to **** and the dinos start eating people".

If they make more, they won't get my money. I'm done with this turd that doesn't even have dinosaurs in the movies anymore, but just monsters and plot devices.

For me, these are more fun type of films. I enjoyed it a lot! It had some depressing parts, but good! it was also technically well done, especially stuff done with the island volcano stuff. My son had a really good time with it, too.

The story didn’t start as everything being great, everything already went to **** and amplified from there. I don’t know how you would create a dinosaur flick any other way really. Would people want to see a film where everything was perfect and the dinos didn’t attack anything and just be happy coexistence for 2 hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know how you would create a dinosaur flick any other way really. Would people want to see a film where everything was perfect and the dinos didn’t attack anything and just be happy coexistence for 2 hours?
I don't know either, but I'm sure it can be done. There are nature and theme park and biological preserve movies that work just fine without seeing the animals eat people. Sure, problems happen and things have to be dealt with, intelligently and competently, and if something breaks out of their enclosure there's always the dilemma of whether to capture it or shoot it, so you can really create a lot of empathy and drama without having to resort to the boring monster chase movie. The fact that the filmmakers don't even consider it, but basically make the same story over and over again means they are not really interested in putting in any effort and to me that shows in the movies. It's just a run-of-the-mill monster movie from The Lost World onwards... and there are so many of those... and the Jurassic series was the only chance to actually see dinosaurs.

Oh well, I hope Saurian gets a Mac version working eventually... or even get it made for console as they at least put in the effort to make as close to real dinosaurs.

The more I think about it, the more I liked it overall. Sure, there were some not so great parts, but I think the stuff I liked made up for it.

I hate to say it, but there was a beautiful scene that I hated and stuck with me. You probably know what scene I'm talking about. I shouldn't be surprised, being a fan of "A Monster Calls", but that poor brachiosaurus on the dock. It quit being "hey look a dinosaur" and became an animal, helpless and in distress. And it disturbed me. The audience was silent. Good job Bayona.

A few other dinos became characters. Finally. Rexy, of course, big, mean, old and cranky. Blue is now a dino with an arc, and can weigh her dilemmas and make decisions. And really, the single character which almost stole the show was who the production named "Stiggy the Stygimoloch". How cute was she? Headbutting everyone, and everything. The audience I saw it with ate that up. I have a feeling she'll be back.

I liked the ending shots of some of the free dinos. I was glad Rexy didn't eat the roaring lion. That would have been a cheap gag we've already seen. I think that was more about two apex predators from different times recognizing that fact, and having a seemingly friendly exchange. (She also inadvertently set the lion free by breaking down his fence!) The dinos now have to find their place in the modern world. If done right, JW3 could make for a very interesting, and unfamiliar setting.

Loved all the gothic monster references and music. Anyway, just a few of my thoughts, which won't be changed by anyone.

Last edited:

Totally with you. Had the same thoughts when Claire and the annoying kid were locked in the bunker and the Baryonyx was coming through the tunnel (and later the stampede scene). There's lava, fire, ash, gas everywhere, yet the predators are all bloodthirsty 24/7 and their main concern is eating and killing whatever. That's when I was thinking "remember Jurassic Park from 1993 where it was so important to present dinosaurs as animals?". I nearly screamed when the Indoraptor pretended to be tranqued (surprise to nobody) and peeked and grinned. And every single villain is just a tiny step away from eating raw liver on screen. I'm not even sure what the plan was with the Nosferaptor scene?
And most of all, the whole movie was a kind of Noah's ark bit...so why is this such a massive cockup that the dinosaurs were let lose? There's like 20 of them. Fine, compys are harder to find but most of them are on their own without a breeding partner.

most of them are on their own without a breeding partner.

Yep. Even if they have enough frog DNA to switch genders, the wild dinosaurs are just individual problems. (Maybe the T Rex and the allosaurus could cross-breed, I don't know.) The more lasting problem is the convoy with the DNA samples.

Yep. Even if they have enough frog DNA to switch genders, the wild dinosaurs are just individual problems. (Maybe the T Rex and the allosaurus could cross-breed, I don't know.) The more lasting problem is the convoy with the DNA samples.
Well, apparently you can do blood transfusion between a T-rex and a Velociraptor...:wacko

Aside from a couple of action scenes, this movie was pretty damn bad. I still hate, HATE the idea of weaponized the dinosaurs, its so ridiculous. Same thing with the end when they are out in "the world". You think its not going to take the military to intervene and just blast the crap out of them? Jurassic world 3 will be about 12 minutes long. And yeah, the girl at the end was cloned, what more is there to explore from there? I did like that they made an animitronic T Rex for the blood scene, that was cool. I still cant believe the final act took place in a mansion. Man how the mighty have fallen...

- - - Updated - - -

Also in the books they have a contingency plan regarding the genetic make up of the animals if they get off the island, they die. They cant generate a specific protein that must be fed to them, if they dont get it, they die. Was that mentioned in the first one? Jurassic Park? I cant remember now.

Yeah. That was lysine. Also at the end of the original book, a group of Raptors had made it to the mainland and fed on chickens and turkeys, and anything they could find that was rich in lysine. It was Crighton continuing the "life finds a way" narrative, proving that, that kind of control was impossible.

Aside from a couple of action scenes, this movie was pretty damn bad. I still hate, HATE the idea of weaponized the dinosaurs, its so ridiculous. Same thing with the end when they are out in "the world". You think its not going to take the military to intervene and just blast the crap out of them? Jurassic world 3 will be about 12 minutes long. And yeah, the girl at the end was cloned, what more is there to explore from there? I did like that they made an animitronic T Rex for the blood scene, that was cool. I still cant believe the final act took place in a mansion. Man how the mighty have fallen...

- - - Updated - - -

Also in the books they have a contingency plan regarding the genetic make up of the animals if they get off the island, they die. They cant generate a specific protein that must be fed to them, if they dont get it, they die. Was that mentioned in the first one? Jurassic Park? I cant remember now.
Agree, I just for the love of god canmt understand the value in military dinos when you have drones smaller, more effective and probably cheaper to do dirty work...
Regarding the original idea with the lysine dependancy...most of the original basics are down the drain anyway, I mean what kind of sea mosquito did they extract the Kronosaurus DNA from...? :)

Yeah. That was lysine. Also at the end of the original book, a group of Raptors had made it to the mainland and fed on chickens and turkeys, and anything they could find that was rich in lysine. It was Crighton continuing the "life finds a way" narrative, proving that, that kind of control was impossible.
Lost World (the movie) also has a line where they explain that herbivores kept eating soy and lysine rich seeds and predators ate the herbivores. Speaking of which where is Sorna in this continuity?

Well it should be considering this is from the Jurassic Park Universe. Hell, Sorna had more dinos than nublar. But Im still trying to get the idea of a little girl doing gymnastics and kicking a raptor in the head OUT of MY head.

Im also annoyed that this movie is going to make over a billion dollars because most of the world is dumb.

Regarding Sorna, from the Dinosaur Protection Group website:
The operation to move the surviving animals from Isla Sorna to the park site on Isla Nublar was critical to their well-being. A considerable and mystifying drop in population on Isla Sorna had recently been discovered; some paleontologists claimed it was the result of territorial disputes, others argued disease was the catalyst, while some scientists even placed the blame on the animals’ behavior. Recent revelations linked to the corruption of the Gene Guard Act by members of Masrani Global confirm the true cause – the introduction of illegally cloned animals on the island in 1999 caused a profound impact on the ecosystem. The term ”Chaos Effect,” coined from Dr. Ian Malcolm’s book God Creates Dinosaurs, has since become the accepted term for describing the radical and unnatural changes that took place on Isla Sorna.

Regardless of the reasons, back in 2004 Masrani embraced the responsibility to uphold a means of constant care and attention to the dinosaurs and, with good intentions in mind, he had the surviving animals shipped to Isla Nublar. The second island lies abandoned and restricted even to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back