Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Thanks trent for the help! I was stuck working today in the shop building cabinet doors

Appreciate the help

No worries clutch, this is what the tutorial is for! Glad it helped you I got a few more things in the world.. here’s a little teaser of what’s to come

1eb6da7eb1879b2e9d431987c07b5461.jpg

You know with the builders kit you can cut off the threading, and attach the emitter with a rod, and bearing and have it spin that way.

I think that’s what I’m gonna do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know with the builders kit you can cut off the threading, and attach the emitter with a rod, and bearing and have it spin that way.

I think that’s what I’m gonna do
I've been thinking about doing that with mine, I just don't know how to cut off the threads

I've been thinking about doing that with mine, I just don't know how to cut off the threads

A hack saw would work, u can get them cheap

You could also use a dremel with a cutting wheel, but I would be super careful with that

When the time comes I think I’ll just cut mine off on the lathe.. maybe do a video with a hack saw or dremel to show it can be done

If your going to use trents gaffers tape adapter it would work great

A hack saw would work, u can get them cheap
I had kind of been hoping there was an easier way, but figured this would be the way I'd end up going.

I'm planning on leaving it screen-used, so the gaffer's tape would actually be intended to hold it still, which is the other reason I've hesitated

I had kind of been hoping there was an easier way, but figured this would be the way I'd end up going.

I'm planning on leaving it screen-used, so the gaffer's tape would actually be intended to hold it still, which is the other reason I've hesitated

Baaaah you can do it. Just go slow and steady ;)

Hi all. New to the forum and working on my first V2, I have a quick question about the stencils. How long should one wait after painting to remove them? I've read anywhere from 20-30 minutes to 5-6 hours in the thread. What seems to work best? Any info/preferences are helpful. Thanks!

Lots of great information here, thanks to all!

Hi all. New to the forum and working on my first V2, I have a quick question about the stencils. How long should one wait after painting to remove them? I've read anywhere from 20-30 minutes to 5-6 hours in the thread. What seems to work best? Any info/preferences are helpful. Thanks!

Lots of great information here, thanks to all!

I apply the stencils, then paint. The wait 7-8 hours before I remove and weather the paint

Check the video index, I have a video explaining the painting process

I apply the stencils, then paint. The wait 7-8 hours before I remove and weather the paint

Check the video index, I have a video explaining the painting process

Thanks for the quick response and the wealth of info on the thread. I will give it a shot.

I just wait until it is dry to the touch. Once it is fully dry, I wet-sand it with 2500 grit sandpaper to take the edge off of it.

This guide is FANTASTIC. Must ask, I've not spotted it... What's your recommended method for adding the 'dust' in between the handle rings (grenade section)? I tried Fullers Earth and found it kinda clumpy. Make up is a good fine powder but almost too thin. interested to hear what you do. :)

Thanks!

I’ve been working on my V2 kit, and this guide is definitely invaluable. Just waiting on a mystery chunk from Dann and Slothfurnace’s clamp card, and for Roy to get clamp levers back in. Meanwhile, I tapped the cone knob hole, and drilled a pilot hole for the mystery chunk.

As for the weathering, my first attempt at the pommel milling circle didn’t work so well, so I sanded the area down for another attempt. I think the problem was the bolt. It didn’t have an evenly raised thread on the bottom, and so didn’t created a full-circle impression. My attempt to remedy it didn’t go well, so I’m gonna go and try to find another bolt with a more even and circular end.

I also ordered some Aluminum Black for the overall patina. I think that’ll be sufficient, rather than going all out with A14. Meanwhile, I’ve been gently scuffing the body with various grades of sandpaper and superfine steel wool.

And I took the plunge and dented the emitter. It came out very well, although one or two of the dents are a little too heavy. I’m wondering if I should risk reheating the emitter and trying to bend them oh-so-slightly back into place. Thoughts?

Well, I ended up cheating. Instead of taking the risk of rebending the flange, I carefully sanded and Dremeled undersides of each of the worst dips (except for the one which is supposed to be really heavy) to reshape them and make them look less warped. It worked out very well, I think.

Be very careful of re-bending the dents.

I was sent a emitter to see what I can do to reverse the process they did... hit it with out heat not only cracked the emitter face, about also ripped the grub screws out of their holes...

If you watch my tutorial videos, denting the emitter is the scariest, and most important part

Soak with heat, little taps around to get the Hall effect. Then heat the emitter again and lightly dent until happy..

Small hammers are key

I actually just did 3 V2 builders kit emitters. These are solid with a removable nipple. These took much more heat then the FX emitter

It also took a lot more time and work to get it to halo and dent like the FX version. It can be done though! Just need more time and heat

5cd422cf3ff802b45d686d5669fe5997.jpg

A bit late to the game; just started my V2 and wanted to see if there's some trick to getting the D-ring on. Tried prying it apart and squeezing it back together and ended up trashing one already.

Weathering pastels.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

A bit late to the game; just started my V2 and wanted to see if there's some trick to getting the D-ring on. Tried prying it apart and squeezing it back together and ended up trashing one already.

Another option is to put your pliers in the D ring and open the pliers widen the gap, then use a vice to close the D ring. It's more controlled and less likely to slip and tear a pommel cube up. My 2 cents.

- - - Updated - - -

Roman has a awesome video on how to do this

https://youtu.be/-aFN269tBIw

Any tips on adding weathering between the rings? Please :)

Another option is to put your pliers in the D ring and open the pliers widen the gap, then use a vice to close the D ring. It's more controlled and less likely to slip and tear a pommel cube up. My 2 cents.

- - - Updated - - -

Any tips on adding weathering between the rings? Please :)

Have you see my videos? I explain how I do this with tamiya weathering products, fullers earths and q-tips.

Have you see my videos? I explain how I do this with tamiya weathering products, fullers earths and q-tips.

I’ve seen the video on painting the stencil and the browns for the thin neck but haven’t found one for the rungs. Can’t spot it on the first page or your channel I’m afraid.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back