My Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files (V3 available in post #1 now!)

Re: My Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files (New Helmet available in post #1!!!)

I would like to get started on the mechanized face plate can anyone help me with that? I was thinking of the maestro 6 but not sure on what type servos to get and leds for the eyes, any info would be appreciated. thanks

Re: My Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files (New Helmet available in post #1!!!)

joonbug1

If you get any feedback on materials for the mechanized faceplate, would you mind sharing with me? I would love to add that functionality to mine once it is completed as well. I have gotten all the pieces printed out, and am assembling the helmet now. I am having some trouble with some of the pieces fitting together, but that may be due to poor scaling on my printer.

20140618_211838.jpg20140618_211618.jpg

How do you guys fuse the pieces together? I have been using a soldering iron and scrap PLA to solder the pieces together, but I am curious if there are better methods that you guys use.

Last edited by a moderator:

I used testers hobby glue to hold pieces together then I fiber glassed cloth the inside of helmet. as for the servo i'm waiting on another member to see, let you know when I know. btw your helmet looks really good!

Hey all!

Just a little bit of an update...

I'm working on a new version of the files that I like better. Most notable the pieces fitting together has been an issue with the files.

It's my first foray into modeling from scratch, and I'm on tour right now for 2 months driving for a band, so time to work on it has been tough to find. BUT! I am still working on it!

Thanks everyone for your continued support!

Thanks joonbug1! I will try reinforcing it with fiberglass and see how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

I am excited to see the new version drumguy560! Thanks again for sharing all these models, you are awesome!

Last edited:

My first attempt at printing using a replicator 2. Took 9 hours for the lower half of the faceplate and the upper is currently printing. Should take another 12 hours by my estimation. I think the scale might be off though. I scaled it to 18x the 1cm size and it looks like its going to be too big . When you said you measured ear to ear can you clarify a bit more for me please? Like around the head at ear level or how? Im just really unsure . I really do appreciate your sharing of the files :)20140713_122247.jpg20140713_122235.jpg20140713_121228.jpg

Not sure if this is how drumguy intended it, but I just stuck my face down against a yard stick, put my hands down on either side of my head and used the distance between my hands. 16X was perfect for me, but I have kind of a small skull.

I am slowly getting mine smoothed and painted. I am planning to use the hinge mechanism that XRobots shows on his site.
gold1.jpg

Alright folks. Time for an update!

V3 of the helmet is moving along nicely. This version is heavily influenced by the ILM model. That file is REAAAALLLLY NOT made for 3d printing. Looks great on screen but boy....

Anyway... Here are some pictures. Most of the real modeling is done, now it's just working on the parts to get them easier to print.

These files address a lot of the issues that users were having (faceplate not fitting on top, hollow ears, and other improvements)

All in all this is shaping up to finally be the FINAL version of my MK3 helmet files, (although I am a perfectionist and realistically will probably never be done! haha!)

Pictures

mk3newfront.jpgmk3newside.jpgmk3newback.jpg

Freakin' sweet! Been holding off on printing this one since you first announced you'll be doing a version 3. Can't wait!!!

You rock!!!

V3 of the helmet is moving along nicely. This version is heavily influenced by the ILM model. That file is REAAAALLLLY NOT made for 3d printing. Looks great on screen but boy....

Anyway... Here are some pictures. Most of the real modeling is done, now it's just working on the parts to get them easier to print.

These files address a lot of the issues that users were having (faceplate not fitting on top, hollow ears, and other improvements)

All in all this is shaping up to finally be the FINAL version of my MK3 helmet files, (although I am a perfectionist and realistically will probably never be done! haha!)

Pictures

View attachment 350551View attachment 350552View attachment 350553
did you remodelled the ILM one or did you just mod it for 3d printing ?

Just can't wait to see the V3, u r my hero.

Pictures

View attachment 350551View attachment 350552View attachment 350553

Decided I would take a different approach to printing this...

Scaled down! Mini Iron Man! :lol

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/wkevingossett/20140120_132659_zps4pzstrrj.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/wkevingossett/20140120_132731_zpsltynb7aj.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/wkevingossett/20140120_132758_zps523x84rj.jpg

Sits about 2.75" high :) Thanks again for the great model! Just need to do a little more sanding, then I'll spot putty and prime
What do you use for putty? I have some first-time 3D prints coming in soon, so I'm curious what people like to use to smooth the surface.

How can I get something 3D printed?
Is there a company I can send my 3D models to? I have some armour I want printed.

I currently live in New Zealand.

Need some help.

Love your work, I will be printing this on my 15"x15"x15" printer once the parts get here for me to build it. Are you planing on doing the rest of the armor?

Great thread OP! Many Thanks!

Just found this thread a couple days ago. I recently bought a 3D printer and finally got comfortable with it. Worked up the courage and now trying to print bigger prints.

I ran out of PLA, but have ordered some more. I'm considering this my "test" build and will print another when my PLA filament arrives.

For the current build I'm using ABS with the rafts and supports on.

Anyways pics!

Starting the mask first. (Top half)
1.jpg
2.JPG
Bottom of the mask
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.JPG
Side by side
7.jpg

Work on the Jaw next. Hopefully will update soon.

so i multiply by the size of my ear to ear in centimeters or in inches?Do i scale like that all of the parts? i really like this files and i want to make this helmet.

Hi all!

Just wanted to let you know that this project is NOT dead! Far from it!

I finally got my printer working well, now that I switched to PLA filament from ABS, so here is a picture of the freshly printed top of the faceplate in silver PLA, (which is for sale in the JY BTW ;) photo.JPG

I will be releasing the V3 files VERY SOON, probably this week actually. I'm doing some printing with them just to make sure everything is cool before I release them, (and so I stay ahead of the game a little ;)

Here's another little project I'm working on for my wife

photo (1).JPG

I know he looks like a crack addict...but that's just residue from some acetone smoothing :)

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hey man, quick question in regards to scaling the piece. When you say "ear to ear" do you mean a straight line from one ear to the other through your head (like the diameter) or do you mean half the circumference of your head?

Thanks for the excellent work

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back