Polyurathane liquid plastic. Alternative to resin?

I'll have to look into using the fiberglass cloth and using the liquid plastic to see how they works out for my first piece of pep work.

Anywho, I figured that if there is a Polyester Resin in canada, or it's equivalent here might end up being cheaper/lighter.

I'm in Ottawa and all I could find was from a automobile / boat repair shop.
Here's their price list for the MAS epoxy resin. I think that this price is not too far off from Smooth-on Epoxamite resin, which is a good one too.

f6778a6e.jpg

Hey guys.
The product is Mouldcraft SG2000 fast cast polyurethane.
I get it from HOME - www.Sheffieldfibreglasssupplies.co.uk.
The price it okay and the coverage is pretty good too. Better that resin.
If you decide to use this stuff on pepakura models get some fibreglass tissue as well, as this will give your piece some support.
Make sure it's the tissue not the mat as the mat is way to thick and takes a lot of liquid plastic to (uh huh huh) penetrate it.

Hey guys.
The product is Mouldcraft SG2000 fast cast polyurethane.
I get it from HOME - www.Sheffieldfibreglasssupplies.co.uk.
The price it okay and the coverage is pretty good too. Better that resin.
If you decide to use this stuff on pepakura models get some fibreglass tissue as well, as this will give your piece some support.
Make sure it's the tissue not the mat as the mat is way to thick and takes a lot of liquid plastic to (uh huh huh) penetrate it.

I've been using this stuff for the last few days on an Iron Man forearm and glove, it seems to be pretty good even in my useless paws!

hardened nicely, was easy to sand, think i've made some kind of issue with my fingers as the primer hasn't dried after 2 days now but i think thats more my spraying technique than the resin though:facepalm

one thing i did notice is it goes from liquid to solid REALLY quick there's no real 'gloopy' stage like i got from fibreglass resin to let you know to hurry up, within seconds of dipping the brush and applying it the stuff in the pot went rock hard :darnkids i got it on ebay but saw on the website you linked there that there is another type of 'general resin', does anyone know if its the same thing as it's cheaper than the SG2000 by quite a wide margin.

Not that this is going to help anybody here, but I just had one of these moments: :behave. I work in Easton, PA and never even made the connection after watching all of these posts about using Smooth cast. The office is literally 1.4 miles from where I am sitting right now and they sell their products on site. :facepalm. I am so going there this week.

Sorry for the near-necromancy. I just got through slush-casting with smooth-cast 300 and after reading this thread I understand a lot better what was going on and what to do about it next time.

im going to be using some of this stuff thanks to xrobots great tutorial and was like :eek with the prices of it seems a bit steep for not very much :S be interesting to know how much of the smooth on you would need to finish a whole suit!! im liking the look of the other products but could do with some more reviews of it by people who have tried it i know want to invest in some of the more reasonable prices stuff if its crap compared to smooth on and have to waste it

Is epoxamite good to use during the winter down in the basement? I'd really like to complete my pepakura proton pack build but finding it hard to just wait till spring so that I can go outside and start resining. I have wee ones as well so that was another draw to this since I won't require a resperator(and it is wife approved). How much do you think I should order as well? Thanks for the help

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back