using Rondo

Ronto?

latest

Hondo?

latest

I'm confused.

Anyone with experience using Rondo? I was curious of the strength of rondo vs regular gelcoat.

Rondo is polyester body filler mixed with polyester resin to create something runnier than body filler, but thicker than gel coat.

The final properties will depend on the type/brand of body filler, and to a lesser extent, the resin. If you use the cheap Bondo-brand filler, the harder to sand and more crumbly it will be. If you mix a higher grade body filler with the resin, like Evercoat Metal Glaze, the final product will have better flexibility and sandability.

I would abandon the use of smelly polyester-based fillers and resins altogether, though. The future is here, and it is epoxy. Mix odorless room-temperature-cure epoxy laminating resin (not the thick smell stuff you get in tubes at stores) with a filler powder such as West Systems 404 High Density Filler (essentially powdered calcium carbonate) and you'll have an epoxy gel coat, or filler paste (with more powder used) that will be strong, flexible, and WON'T SMELL. Add microballoons and/or talc powder to increase sandability.

Rondo is polyester body filler mixed with polyester resin to create something runnier than body filler, but thicker than gel coat.

The final properties will depend on the type/brand of body filler, and to a lesser extent, the resin. If you use the cheap Bondo-brand filler, the harder to sand and more crumbly it will be. If you mix a higher grade body filler with the resin, like Evercoat Metal Glaze, the final product will have better flexibility and sandability.

I would abandon the use of smelly polyester-based fillers and resins altogether, though. The future is here, and it is epoxy. Mix odorless room-temperature-cure epoxy laminating resin (not the thick smell stuff you get in tubes at stores) with a filler powder such as West Systems 404 High Density Filler (essentially powdered calcium carbonate) and you'll have an epoxy gel coat, or filler paste (with more powder used) that will be strong, flexible, and WON'T SMELL. Add microballoons and/or talc powder to increase sandability.

I'll second this. Been using epoxies with various fillers for years. You can get different properties depending on what you add, it's far safer to use (with the proper safety equipment), and won't stink up your space with toxic fumes.

I'll second this. Been using epoxies with various fillers for years. You can get different properties depending on what you add, it's far safer to use (with the proper safety equipment), and won't stink up your space with toxic fumes.

When you say Epoxy, you mean something like this?

http://a.co/8j0udSj

- - - Updated - - -

Also, could I make a helmet out of EVA foam, then give it a couple coats of this Epoxy to make it look and feel a bit more "real?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried a rondo mix many years ago and found that it suffered from considerable shrinkage during curing. There's really nothing to recommend it over a conventional gelcoat except ease of availability if you are unable to order stuff online. But since you're here, that seems unlikely.

It's worth mentioning that epoxy is much more adhesive than polyester, and using it will shorten the life of your moulds considerably. You will also need a fibreglass mat that is designed for use with epoxy. Also it's considerably more expensive. It's great and all, but it does have its own set of cons.

When you say Epoxy, you mean something like this?

http://a.co/8j0udSj

- - - Updated - - -

Also, could I make a helmet out of EVA foam, then give it a couple coats of this Epoxy to make it look and feel a bit more "real?"

Yep. Don't know anything about that brand, but that's the stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back