ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

This picture is not necessary definitive but it does show a dark artifact on the vest under the right arm.

Yes! Though we don't know for sure yet if there is one on each side of her vest. So far only her left is confirmed.

Jyn's Vest.png

Hi! New to the thread, you guys have done such a wonderful job researching and figuring out construction, not to mention the ones who've finished their costumes!

Wondering if anybody have seen this image of Jyn, where you get a better shot of the attachment part of the belt. If it's been posted here before I'm sorry, just haven't seen it here :)

rogue_one_a_star_wars_story_4k_8k-1920x1080.jpg

Hi! New to the thread, you guys have done such a wonderful job researching and figuring out construction, not to mention the ones who've finished their costumes!

Wondering if anybody have seen this image of Jyn, where you get a better shot of the attachment part of the belt. If it's been posted here before I'm sorry, just haven't seen it here :)

View attachment 691070

Ah! I've been thinking about this and had totally forgot. So. Magnet or velcro? Magnet, right? Whatever it is, it's kind of a big piece.

Ah! I've been thinking about this and had totally forgot. So. Magnet or velcro? Magnet, right? Whatever it is, it's kind of a big piece.

There are some pretty good shots of the attachment when she's climbing up the tower and getting the plans.

I'm going to say Velcro because you can tell that there's something stitched on where the belt closes.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but watching last night I realized that Jyn's backpack looks like the same M60 that the hook on her vest comes off of.

Screenshots from the Celebration panel:

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 12.32.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-17 at 12.32.13 PM.png

Also, I think the back of her vest isn't stitched in lines. I think it's actually a form of quilting/gathering.

It could be like the simple floss-tied quilting used by us lazy quilters-
00dac28e94eef42b34fcf63d605cc50c.jpg

Or it's the reverse of star-gathering or puff-gathering.
ff19467105202ce5d65b5d66e551bec8.jpg

Either way, when you look back of her vest, you'll never see the stitching, just deep folds which is why I think it's one of these style of techniques and not just quilted down with thread.

Finally I have a definitive answer for myself on if there is or is not a back yoke on Jyn's blouse. On page 184 of the Visual Guide there is a photo we have seen before but this is now large enough and clear enough for even my eyes to see there is indeed a back yoke. Also the seam allowances have been press upward toward the top of the shoulder and then top-stitched down like a fell seam.

Finally I have a definitive answer for myself on if there is or is not a back yoke on Jyn's blouse. On page 184 of the Visual Guide there is a photo we have seen before but this is now large enough and clear enough for even my eyes to see there is indeed a back yoke. Also the seam allowances have been press upward toward the top of the shoulder and then top-stitched down like a fell seam.

I'm not getting the book until Christmas, but 1) are the sleeve seams also felled and 2) did it show a three piece collar (2 x front, 1 back)? I'm pretty sure that's what I saw.

CarpElgin in answer to your question #1, yes the blouse sleeves are flat felled. However, in the same photo on page 186 the sleeve seam seems to be located running along the rear of her arm like you would see on a two-piece jacket sleeve. The sleeve does not appear to be twisted. I need to double check other references to see if there are indeed two sleeve seams.

With regard to your question #2, I do not see any photos which help answer that question in the Visual Guide.

I am very pleased with the quality of the Visual Guide but I am disappointed in the amount of new information with regard to the adult versions of Jyn Erso's garments. Some of the photos are clearer and thus easier to see the details, but there is not much new information I have been able to collect.

Last edited by a moderator:
@CarpElgin in answer to your question #1, yes the blouse sleeves are flat felled. However, in the same photo on page 186 the sleeve seam seems to be located running along the rear of her arm like you would see on a two-piece jacket sleeve. The sleeve does not appear to be twisted. I need to double check other references to see if there are indeed two sleeve seams.

With regard to your question #2, I do not see any photos which help answer that question in the Visual Guide.

I am very pleased with the quality of the Visual Guide but I am disappointed in the amount of new information with regard to the adult versions of Jyn Erso's garments. Some of the photos are clearer and thus easier to see the details, but there is not much new information I have been able to collect.

I think there are a few other references with that back sleeve seam lining up with the bottom of the yoke. I guess my only option is to go see the movie again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I think the back of her vest isn't stitched in lines. I think it's actually a form of quilting/gathering.

It could be like the simple floss-tied quilting used by us lazy quilters- http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/00dac28e94eef42b34fcf63d605cc50c.jpg

Or it's the reverse of star-gathering or puff-gathering. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/ff19467105202ce5d65b5d66e551bec8.jpg

Either way, when you look back of her vest, you'll never see the stitching, just deep folds which is why I think it's one of these style of techniques and not just quilted down with thread.

I believe it's the first, which I'm basing mostly off the fact that they used that technique for the Columbia vest, and it looks the most accurate when you compare it to stills. Also this is an actual form of tuffting, as opposed to just stitching the lines. I plan on using the first as soon as I get everything else together.

So I'm also not sure if the back of her vest is lined in red or brown. Watching the movie again, I never really saw any hint of red there, but I may have missed it. I thought it made more sense with the inset red panels, but now I'm not so sure.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back