Blade Runner 2049 - K's Holster (Safariland 1090 info dump)

buzby

In one of the BR2049 threads I identified K's holster as being based on a modified Safariland 1090 'Gun Quick' plastic holster. This model was discontinued last year, but seems pretty hard to find anyway. I managed to win one on eBay and I thought I'd break it down and document it for anyone wanting to make a replica.

I'll start with the soft parts, which are predominantly PU leather and elastic straps:
shoulderstrap1.JPG
The main shoulder strap consists of 2 almost identical (though mirrored) PU leather straps and a long adjustable elastic strap stitched together into a 'Y' shape (I will be ignoring the magazine holder, as it's not used in the prop).

The two PU parts are an almost identical mirror image of each other, only differing where they join where one is slightly wider in the join section than the other. The lower sections that attach to the holster are 1" wide, and have 10 1/4" holes at 5/8" centres. At the centre of the last hole (approx 7.5" from the end) the strap starts to flare out in a non-symmetrical way up to the joint section.
shoulderstrap2.JPGshoulderstrap6.JPGshoulderstrap4.JPG

The joint between the two sections and the elastic is 3" long and approximately 1" wide. The back half overlaps the front half by 1/2" (which is why the 2 pieces are not completely identical) with the elastic strap on the bottom, and are all stitched together:
joint1.JPGjoint2.JPGjoint3.JPG

The elastic strap is 1" wide with a total measured length of 40 3/4" (it may have stretched a little through age, as my holster was made in 1997). The first 3" of the elastic is stitched to the leather. It then passes though a black plastic tri-slide and a suspender clip (the tri slide is used to cinch the elastic up to the clip once the length has been adjusted) and then attached to the centre bar of a metal tri-slide, with a 1 1/4" folded-back hem:
elastic2.JPGelastic1.JPGelastic4.JPG

The suspender clips are Elan BU5256A silver 25mm/1" clips:
https://fabricville.com/en/elan-suspender-clip-25mm-1-silver-2-pcs-41070.html

Last edited:
Although it's not very visible in the pictures we have access to so far, there is a second strap that extends from the bottom of the plastic holster to the waistband to counteract the longer elastic strap that runs across the shoulders. This strap consists of 12 1/4" x 1" black elastic (the same material as the shoulder strap) reinforced at one end by a 3" x 1" strip of the same PU leather the shoulder straps are made of. This is what attaches to the holster ,and it uses a popper to secure it (it's removable to allow the holster to be changed between left and right hand use). The elastic passes though anther 1" metal tri-slide for length adjustment and another Elan suspender clip, before being hemmed onto the centre bar of the tri-slide with a 1.5" overlap:
holsterstrap1.JPGholssterstrap2.JPGholsterstrap4.JPGholsterstrap3.JPG

I'll move onto the plastic holster in the next day or so. I am going to try and make a mosaic of the longer of the two leather shoulder straps on the scanner in work too, to be able to get an exact pattern.

Before I move on to the plastic holster itself, I managed to get the leather strap onto the A3 scanner in work to get a silhouette scan of it;s shape as a cutting pattern. It was scanned at 300dpi in black and white as a TIFF image. At some point in the future I intend to convert this into a vector file so I can use it as a cutting pattern (when I find the correct textured fabric to make the straps). This is the back strap, which has the longer overlap at the join (which you can just about see in the rectangular outline of the stitching), The same pattern can be used for the front strap by shortening that rectangular area at the join by half an inch.
(it should be noted that the scanner seems to have an offset light source, and there is a drop shadow cast towards the lower left corner - if you zoom in you should just be able to see the real edge as a thin white line)
strapscan.png

Onto the injection moulded holster. It is made up of 2 main sections - the font part consists of two side plates joined together by an eyeletted spring (approx. 5 1/2"long by 3/16" in diameter) covered in a clear PVC tube. and a flexible plastic C-shaped piece with a loose 1" rectangular ring that the front half of the strap attaches to. The rear part consists of 2 specially moulded 'cups that hold the muzzle of the barrel, one fits inside the other (the one of the outside has a fulll-width plate and slighly longer) and is adjustable using a button head hex bolt, star washer and sleeve nut. The two parts telescope into each other to adjust for length along 5/16" moulded rails and are fixed using 2 more bolts, star washers and sleeve nuts.:
holster3.JPGholster4.JPGholster1.JPGholster5.JPGholster2.JPG

The bolts appear to be 1/8" x 1/4" long, with an oversize 1/2" button head. The sleeve nuts are 7/32" deep and have a 5/16" square 'captive nut' machined on the base.
hardware.JPG

The side plates are 3 1/2" long from the flat front edge to the end of the rounded rail. The 6 adjustment holes in each plate that the sleeve nuts fit into are 3/16" in diameter and are on 3/8" centres
holster6.JPGholster7.JPG

The 2 rear halves that make up the 'cup' at the rear end are probably of most interest, as the reference pictures we have seen so far (which all appear to a from a modified 'stunt' holster that doens't match the one K wears in the office and apartment scenes) confirm these have been used on the prop in modified form. as mentioned above, the two halves fit inside each other and so one is slightly longer than the other. The outer half has the end plate and attachment slot for the rear strap moulded into it. It is 3 1/2" from the flat end face to the curved end of the side plate. The end plate is 1/8" thick, 1 3/8" wide at it's widest point and 2 5/32" high from the flat bottom to the top of the curved slot.
holster8j.JPG
The inner half is 3 3/8" long from it's flat edge to the curved end of the rail (i.e. 1/8" shorter, as it fits inside the end plate).
holster9.JPG
The curved cups are 1 1/2" tall with asymmetric top and bottom edges. I'll show these in a bit more detail tomorrow and outline where they have been modifed for use in the prop.

Last edited:
Onto the injection moulded holster. It is made up of 2 main sections - the font part consists of two side plates joined together by an eyeletted spring (approx. 5 1/2"long by 3/16" in diameter) covered in a clear PVC tube. and a flexible plastic C-shaped piece with a loose 1" rectangular ring that the front half of the strap attaches to. The rear part consists of 2 specially moulded 'cups that hold the muzzle of the barrel, one fits inside the other (the one of the outside has a fulll-width plate and slighly longer) and is adjustable using a button head hex bolt, star washer and sleeve nut. The two parts telescope into each other to adjust for length along 5/16" moulded rails and are fixed using 2 more bolts, star washers and sleeve nuts.:
View attachment 778357View attachment 778358View attachment 778359View attachment 778360View attachment 778361

The bolts appear to be 1/8" x 1/4" long, with an oversize 1/2" button head. The sleeve nuts are 7/32" deep and have a 5/16" square 'captive nut' machined on the base.
View attachment 778362

The side plates are 3 1/2" long from the flat front edge to the end of the rounded rail. The 6 adjustment holes in each plate that the sleeve nuts fit into are 3/16" in diameter and are on 3/8" centres
View attachment 778363View attachment 778364

The 2 rear halves that make up the 'cup' at the rear end are probably of most interest, as the reference pictures we have seen so far (which all appear to a from a modified 'stunt' holster that doens't match the one K wears in the office and apartment scenes) confirm these have been used on the prop in modified form. as mentioned above, the two halves fit inside each other and so one is slightly longer than the other. The outer half has the end plate and attachment slot for the rear strap moulded into it. It is 3 1/2" from the flat end face to the curved end of the side plate. The end plate is 1/8" thick, 1 3/8" wide at it's widest point and 2 5/32" high from the flat bottom to the top of the curved slot.
View attachment 778367
The inner half is 3 3/8" long from it's flat edge to the curved end of the rail (i.e. 1/8" shorter, as it fits inside the end plate).
View attachment 778368
The curved cups are 1 1/2" tall with asymmetric top and bottom edges. I'll show these in a bit more detail tomorrow and outline where they have been modifed for use in the prop.

Firstly, thanks so much for sharing this. Still no idea how you managed to get one so fast (i've spent a fair time looking) but it looks like with this degree of sharing we can ensure some authentic replicas will appear.

Second, it looks like a bunch of the attachments aren't working :)

Firstly, thanks so much for sharing this. Still no idea how you managed to get one so fast (i've spent a fair time looking) but it looks like with this degree of sharing we can ensure some authentic replicas will appear.

Second, it looks like a bunch of the attachments aren't working :)

It was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time when I realised what the source holster was.
I've fixed the pictures in the last post (it's what happens when your login times out while you are typing...)

Here are a few more pictures of the 2 halves of the rear section. It shows that the profiles of the top and bottom of the curved 'cup' sections are not the same. The bottom of each cup has an extended lip that helps prevent the muzzle of a gun falling out of it. They also show how the cups taper from the side rails towards the end where the rear strap attaches.
Left hand half:
lh-bottom.JPGlh-interior.JPGlh-top.JPG

Right hand half:
rh-top.JPGrh-bottom.JPGrh-interior.JPG

Let's look at why the holster can't be used with the blaster 'as-is'. These pictures are taken with the holster adjusted to it's maximum width and length, and with @rgriesbeck's 3D printed blaster for comparison:
comp2.JPGcomp1.jpgcomp4.JPG
As you can see, it's both too long and too wide to work with the holster in it's unmodified state.

After taking out the width adjustment screw, we can get an idea as to how wide the end cup needs to be to accommodate the muzzle of the blaster:
comp6.jpgcomp5.jpg
It also needs a hole cut in the end for the two barrel ends to fit into.

If we look at this zoom of the picture from the Wired article:
wired_edit.jpg
You can see that they cut down the end faces of the cups and then attached them to an aluminium plate with 4 small screws on each side. The side rails have also been cut down and attached to two new asymmetrical rails. The new outer rail is thick and screws onto the side of the cut-down cup, The new inner rail appears to be a butt joint with the cut-down inner cup, the two pieces being attached by a thin outer plate. In the pictures below are where I think the cups have been trimmed to:
mod1.jpgmod2.jpgmod3.jpg

Rather than cutting up the original holster, I am going to have a first attempt at mould-making and casting resin copies that I can modify.

As for the front part of the holster, from the Wired picture and the pictures from it on display at SDCC, it looks to have been all new fabrication. However, I have mentioned previously about how I think there were 2 holsters - a 'hero' one that worked in the same way as the original holster (with a retaining spring around the grip) that was used for scenes where trhe gun did not need to be drawn, and a 'stunt' holster that does not have the spring and allowed the gun to be drawn quickly. All the pictures of the holster on display seem to have been the 'stunt' one. Here's evidence of the 'hero' one (from a couple of captures from the ropey cam-rip that's floating round)
Untitled.jpg
You can clearly see the retaining spring wrapping around the back of the receiver, and you ca also just about see the metal standoff that holds the two new side rails together above the receiver.

Did they do away with the bit of elastic that goes around his neck and down his left side to his belt?

060be9bdedfee107dd82d4da795619cf.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they do away with the bit of elastic that goes around his neck and down his left side to his belt?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171209/060be9bdedfee107dd82d4da795619cf.jpeg
If you zoom right in on that picture you can just about see the black elastic strap running from the sewn joint on the holster straps just under the collar of the jumper and then off behind his neck. It's just really hard to see as it's a black strap against the black jumper.

If you mean the second brace that clips onto his belt on his left side, it looks like it goes from the bottom of the holster on the left and not from by his neck. I'm sure @buzby will confirm.
@Timtastic was referring to the long strap I think, which is just about visible in the picture. There aren't any stills that show him wearing the holster from the left side so far, but since seeing a real 1090 you can see the the left-side strap that attaches to the bottom of the holster in the pictures of the 'stunt' holster from SDCC (if you look closely at those pictures you can see they have fastened the two suspender clips together and rolled the straps up around them). I'm pretty certain the 'hero' holster still had it too, otherwise you would be relying on the weight of the gun to counteract the elastic, and a resin or 3D-printed prop doesn't weigh that much.

It was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time when I realised what the source holster was.

Sorry for running up the price on you! I was looking for a 1090 for a while and I bid on that one extensively. The project looks great! I'll definitely use this as a guide whenever I find another 1090 for sale.

Any leads on the fabric used? I’ve been looking at neoprene and nylon for so long I can’t tell the two apart lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been sent some reasonably-detailed captures by a friend who bought the digital version. They aren't 4K so they don't show all that much detail, but they do give a few more clues as to how the 'hero' version of the holster works.

First of all, some caps from the Path lab scene:
lab_holster.jpg
These views from the rear show the shorter strap is present, and give a clue as to how it and the shoulder strap attach to the RH side rail. You can also clearly see the metal standoff spacer at the front of the holster that holds the side rails together.
Here's a couple of views of the front of the holster from the same scene:
lab_holster2.jpg
The spring is clearly visible, though I think they may have swapped it for a longer one to deal with the longer gun (and also possibly to stop it exerting too much force on the prop). It also looks like the front mounting ring for the shoulder strap is attached to the same bolt that holds the inner rail to the standoff.

Here's a couple of views from the scene in Joshi's office:
office_holster.jpg
A nice clear view of the front and rear of the holster. In the front view, you can see the strap mounting much more clearly - it even looks like thet have used a double-ended ring to attach both straps to the same spacer bolt. The rear view shows how neatly the muzzle fits into the end cup, with the bottom 'rail' on the barrel fitting into the slot between the two halves.on the bottom.

Finally a couple of side views from the DNA archive scene:
dna_holster.jpg
dna_holster2.jpg
These are pretty dark, but I've included them mainly to show that the fabric 'sling' that we saw on the SDCC 'stunt' holster pictures isn't present - you can clearly see the complete trigger guard of the gun.

Last edited:
Instead of doing resin, have you tried kydex before? I just feel resin might be too flimsy at the thicknesses I'm seeing. Might not be the same texture but helluva lot stronger from my own uses.

it's been a whie, but a bit of an update. I was going to have a go at casting copies of the muzzle-end 'cuos' from the 1090 to modify for the holster. As I has no experience in mouldingor casting, I asked a friend who is in the 501st and knows the guys at RS Props (who manufacture high-quality Star Wars helmets and armour here in the UK) and he put me in touch with them. I went along and took the pieces with me to see if they could cast copies for me. Luckily the guys (rob and Si) there are keen BR fans too, and had no problem helping me out. I went back today to pick up the first castings from the mould:
casts1.jpg
The parts on the top are the originals, and the casts are on the bottom. here's some more pictures of the casts:
casts2.jpgcasts3.jpgcasts4.jpg
I'm really pleased with them - all the detail of the original parts is there (though most of it ends up getting cut off for K's holster).

As I haven't got the supplies and gear to produce casts, I've left the mould with RS Props, and arranged with them that if anyone wants castings to have a go at making a holster (these are the only 'hard' parts used from the 1090 that aren't readily available), get in touch with them (either through their website, or I believe Si a SiMan on here).

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back