Star Wars Battlefront: Phase Zero Dark trooper

ok finally finished the bucket and took a few pics. Overall I'm pretty happy with the result it definitely looks like a dark trooper. I think I captured the feel of the helmet more or less. He clearly looks pissed off about something and that's definitely the vibe of this suit :) Next step is to do a quick and dirty rig for the armour and take some more shots at an upcoming convention. I've taken some pics in lower light. It's amazing the difference changing the angle and the light makes to this helmet

View attachment 765666View attachment 765667View attachment 765668View attachment 765669

View attachment 765670

Can't wait to put it next to some stormtrooper types should be interesting. I'll post more pics after the convention. Thanks everyone for the feedback and following this thread so far!

Looks awesome man! You need the red lenses though!!

Hi, Oota. Couldn't see your early pics on here but the Jetpack and later pics of the bucket came out alright. Wow. Looks so different from when I saw it in the Raw Styrene. And the pack looks amazing. Nice colors.
How did you do the the graphic details?

This is even cooler than I imagined. Can't wait to see the full suit up!

Thanks Rockit I'll be posting pics and a wee write up soon we finally managed to get this guy up and running

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, Oota. Couldn't see your early pics on here but the Jetpack and later pics of the bucket came out alright. Wow. Looks so different from when I saw it in the Raw Styrene. And the pack looks amazing. Nice colors.
How did you do the the graphic details?

Hey man the graphics are modified tk ones I tried to keep the shapes the same. The paint colour is custom but I've got the receipe somewhere. It's a pretty good fit I reckon.

- - - Updated - - -

Dang, that helmet is sexy! I'm totally envious!

Cheers Blue Leader amazing what a decent paint job can do!

Ok so with the help of some of friends we were finally able to send this suit out into the wild of the nz pop culture convention Armageddon over the weekend. We did a quick and dirty rig of the armour the night before about 5 hours in total so not too bad and it was the only time we had available to get this done.

The good news was the armour fit my mate like a glove. He is the perfect build for this armour so that side of things worked well. The rigging survived the day well we had no breakages etc etc. We had a really good response from the public and I noticed people would often say "oh ****!" when they turned around and saw my mate Matt looming over them so mission accomplished I reckon!

Nathan Fillion was in town and put a pic of the armour up on his page which was cool because we finally got someone who recognised the suit!

https://www.facebook.com/nathanfill...279277/1803531169944427/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

so here's some of my favourite pics:

22554930_1705070419503256_8688169553839938764_n.jpg24008747638_dca25dd942_z.jpg24010321608_c04c2626da_z.jpg37830914012_ed0362815e_z.jpg

37592165530_44d1df56b2_z.jpg22555298_1705070429503255_820631518324455238_n.jpg

Second to last shot is at the 501st booth. The DT fits well I reckon. Not sure who that guy is in the last shot just some random guy I think.

Overall I'm happy with the armour and I'm really pleased with the helmet. If stormtroopers look angry then this guy looks PISSED. which was exactly what I was hoping would happen.

I've got a couple of issues with the rigging and paint scheme. I don't think the thighs work with out a bit of shading where they meet the knee. But I really wanted to avoid doing any shading if I could to try and keep it real world. But that lower triangle shape need to come forward a bit and resolve the bottom of the thighs.

The shoulder bells look really good but I'm aware that they don't represent the game model as well as they could.

Anyone notice the missing nipples? err I mean the chest bolts :) I didn't! we never got round to putting them on they are my least favourite part of this armour so yeah subconsciously I was resisting putting them on a lot.

I'll be offering the helmet as a kit in the junkyard soonish. I can't get red lenses easily here so it will be a 'sans-lense' kit. The ears are a PITA to put on in hindsight I would have lowered mine a bit more. The game model has them totally flat to the sides of the helmet which doesn't work for me either.

OK cheers everyone thanks for following this thread more pics as I get them

Last edited:
Thoroughly enjoyed the privilege of wearing this to demo it over the weekend. Although it was rigged and assembled fairly quickly, it was not uncomfortable to wear (certainly better than other some armor suits I have).

It photographs really well from all angles. I still have a few more photos to sort through from my camera, as well as some video. The responses from other con attendees were rewarding... it's a design that stands out from the crowd.

Looks right off the screen aside from the tiny differences. It's awesome!! Caused quite a stir on Facebook too.

Thanks Rockit yeah I agree about the differences. It was definitely a case of making the game model look good in the real world but still capture the right feel. My model DrMaul did a great job of adopting some of the mannerisms of the Dark trooper (ie hunched over and pissed off :) ) and that made a huge difference to how it came across.

Yeah a couple of people have mentioned that there was a bit of facebook traffic about the suit which is cool. I don't really have a sense of it but maybe if more DTs start popping up around the place it might have made a bit of impact!

So awesome! If you ever do an armor kit of this, man, sign me up! I've been wanting to do a stormtrooper costume for years but they don't fit a big guy like me, but this probably would!

So awesome! If you ever do an armor kit of this, man, sign me up! I've been wanting to do a stormtrooper costume for years but they don't fit a big guy like me, but this probably would!

ok Blue Leader will do! There's a fair bit of vac forming in this guy with the jet pack and larger armour pieces. I think there's enough interest to do a limited run. I'll be in touch if and when I get to this!

I've kept an eye on this thread since day1.

This was a huge undertaking cause it's one of those designs that probably works better on paper or animation than it does in real life...

A++ job of finding the balance of the 2.

Really REALLY well done Oota!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back